Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Instant Cooling to 35deg.F

I am looking for a means to instantly cool a can of beer to 35deg. F.
When I go camping. On hot summer days I like to go camping and sit
back to some very cold beers. I am the type of person whose job
responsibilities tend to fluctuate every day based on the weather and
other conditions. Therefore, I may discover at any time that there
won't be any work for the next few days. That's when I take off to go
camp at one of my favorite woods, and that could be any day of the
week, not just holidays or weekends.

When I leave to the campsite I make a grocery and beer run, pack my
cooler, hook up my camping trailer and within a few hours I am heading
off to camp. The problem is that when I get to camp, my beer is never
really cold. It sits in some ice for an hour or two and does not get
cold enough in such short time. I dont normally keep beer in the
fridge at home because I dont drink when I am working and it never
fails someone else will drink it before I am ready to go camping.
Otherwise I'd keep some right under the freezer compartment.

With that said, my object is to find a method to chill a can of beer,
or soda, or anything else in a can from room temperature to near
freezing temperature within a minute or less. I am aware that there
are certain gases that cause ice to form on a tank. For example,
using a disposible propane cylinder will form ice on the cylinder when
the gas is released quickly (like when I use my big weed burner
torch). I know there are other gases such as nitrogen or is it
hydrogen that can have this same effect. My question is what can I
use that is readily available, not extremely expensive, safe to use,
and will chill the can in seconds? The other question is how to use
the stuff in a portable environment. In other words, something I can
carry in my camper that simply involves using a hose, some sort of
cooling container for the beer can, and simply means turning on a
valve, giving me an ice cold beer in a minute or less. Remember, it
must be safe and something I can legally carry in a vehicle without
using up too much space.

All useful advice appreciated.

George

Posted to alt.home.repair

i remember.

The cooler with Ice and rock salt got the beer the coldest quickest.

Posted to alt.home.repair

season 1 of mythbusters has it. ITs out on DVD
wrote in message
ups.com...
i remember.

The cooler with Ice and rock salt got the beer the coldest quickest.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My question is what can I
use that is readily available, not extremely expensive, safe to use,
and will chill the can in seconds?

Immerse in *drained* ice or snow and spin. Maintain *pressure* of ice
against can. Drain the melt. *Spin* the can about 60 rpm with your hand.
This gets you below 40 deg F in a minute.

You must maintain the pressure and drain the melt, or you spoil the heat
transfer. The intimate contact with a phase-change substance is critical.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 29, 11:41 am, dpb wrote:

With that said, my object is to find a method to chill a can of beer,
or soda, or anything else in a can from room temperature to near
freezing temperature within a minute or less. ...

Ain't gonna happen.

In those hours you're getting ready add in a trip by the store and start
w/ chilled would be far cheaper and simpler than all the b/s you're
proposing.

This reeks of "troll"...

--

I don't know where this guy lives that he can't buy cold beer. That
would suck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 29, 10:37 am, wrote:
[...]

Dry ice (frozen co2).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard J Kinch wrote:

You must maintain the pressure and drain the melt, or you spoil the heat
transfer. The intimate contact with a phase-change substance is critical.

Or you could just add a bunch of salt to the ice, thus lowering the
freezing point of the mel****er. This allows for better contact with
the can as there are no air pockets.

A saturated sal****er solution will get to -20C or -4F. Plenty cold
enough to chill your beer.

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"frank megaweege" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 29, 11:41 am, dpb wrote:

With that said, my object is to find a method to chill a can of beer,
or soda, or anything else in a can from room temperature to near
freezing temperature within a minute or less. ...

Ain't gonna happen.

In those hours you're getting ready add in a trip by the store and start
w/ chilled would be far cheaper and simpler than all the b/s you're
proposing.

This reeks of "troll"...

--

I don't know where this guy lives that he can't buy cold beer. That
would suck.
Here's a good drinking game. Take a drive around any WV town and
drink every time you see a sign that says "Cold Beer" (usually hand
painted). Just keep it low when the cops go by.
Anyway, even room temp beer will get ice cold in a couple of hours.
Use more ice.

Where I live the Beer Stores are refrigerated, the staff wears winter
clothing even in the heat of summer, but the important part is all the beer
is always cold in the store.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Aug 29, 11:37 am, wrote:
[...]

http://kwc.org/blog/archives/2005/20...d_edition.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 29, 10:37 am, wrote:
[...]

Or pretend you're in England and drink warm beer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris Friesen wrote:
clifto wrote:
You're saying that dissolving calcium chloride is endothermic?

No. What he meant was that the calcium chloride would allow the ice to
become liquid at -50F. This would give an icewater bath.

Pure ice at -50F would be solid, and wouldn't conduct nearly as well due
to air pockets around the can.

However, good luck finding a freezer that will give you ice at -50F...

That's what I figured.

--
Tiger Direct forcibly checking receipts?
http://tinyurl.com/2hz3ht

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 29, 8:28 am, frank megaweege wrote:
On Aug 29, 11:41 am, dpb wrote:

With that said, my object is to find a method to chill a can of beer,
or soda, or anything else in a can from room temperature to near
freezing temperature within a minute or less. ...

Ain't gonna happen.

In those hours you're getting ready add in a trip by the store and start
w/ chilled would be far cheaper and simpler than all the b/s you're
proposing.

This reeks of "troll"...

--

I don't know where this guy lives that he can't buy cold beer. That
would suck.
Here's a good drinking game. Take a drive around any WV town and
drink every time you see a sign that says "Cold Beer" (usually hand
painted). Just keep it low when the cops go by.
Anyway, even room temp beer will get ice cold in a couple of hours.
Use more ice.

You need ice and water for the instant beer cooler. That makes a lot
of sense....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"clifto" wrote in message
Chris Friesen wrote:
clifto wrote:
You're saying that dissolving calcium chloride is endothermic?

No. What he meant was that the calcium chloride would allow the ice to
become liquid at -50F. This would give an icewater bath.

Pure ice at -50F would be solid, and wouldn't conduct nearly as well due
to air pockets around the can.

However, good luck finding a freezer that will give you ice at -50F...

That's what I figured.

It doesn't need -50F ice. Put salt in ice and the temp drops. Remember ice cream
makers?

O.P. - Try a bucket of ice with some salt and enough water to fill the voids.
Keep it moving to swirl the beer for maximum cooling.

Or - learn to enjoy good beer that doesn't need to be 35F to be drinkable.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
"clifto" wrote in message
Chris Friesen wrote:
clifto wrote:
You're saying that dissolving calcium chloride is endothermic?

No. What he meant was that the calcium chloride would allow the
ice to become liquid at -50F. This would give an icewater bath.

Pure ice at -50F would be solid, and wouldn't conduct nearly as
well due to air pockets around the can.

However, good luck finding a freezer that will give you ice at
-50F...

That's what I figured.

It doesn't need -50F ice. Put salt in ice and the temp drops.
Remember ice cream makers?

O.P. - Try a bucket of ice with some salt and enough water to fill
the voids. Keep it moving to swirl the beer for maximum cooling.

Or - learn to enjoy good beer that doesn't need to be 35F to be
drinkable.

I was afraid to make that comment! Coming from the other side of The
Pond, ice cold beer just ain't beer!

Posted to alt.home.repair

clot wrote:
Bob F wrote:

"clifto" wrote in message

Chris Friesen wrote:

clifto wrote:

You're saying that dissolving calcium chloride is endothermic?

No. What he meant was that the calcium chloride would allow the
ice to become liquid at -50F. This would give an icewater bath.

Pure ice at -50F would be solid, and wouldn't conduct nearly as
well due to air pockets around the can.

However, good luck finding a freezer that will give you ice at
-50F...

That's what I figured.

It doesn't need -50F ice. Put salt in ice and the temp drops.
Remember ice cream makers?

O.P. - Try a bucket of ice with some salt and enough water to fill
the voids. Keep it moving to swirl the beer for maximum cooling.

Or - learn to enjoy good beer that doesn't need to be 35F to be
drinkable.

I was afraid to make that comment! Coming from the other side of The
Pond, ice cold beer just ain't beer!

However, when you are shopping for beer in an American convenience
store, you want it so cold that if you bump the bottle little ice
crystals instantly form in it. There's a HUGE difference between an
American-style lager and a good stout or porter. They're both
ostensibly called "beer" but they're two different beverages entirely
and comparisons are unfair.

Now Budweiser, that's just nuckin' fasty.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Bob F wrote:
"clifto" wrote in message
Chris Friesen wrote:
clifto wrote:
You're saying that dissolving calcium chloride is endothermic?
No. What he meant was that the calcium chloride would allow the ice to
become liquid at -50F. This would give an icewater bath.

Pure ice at -50F would be solid, and wouldn't conduct nearly as well due
to air pockets around the can.

However, good luck finding a freezer that will give you ice at -50F...

That's what I figured.

It doesn't need -50F ice. Put salt in ice and the temp drops. Remember ice cream
makers?

But it doesn't get even _close_ to the -50F Nick suggests obtaining to
meet the desired 15 sec cooling time which is where this subthread
originated..

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kitep wrote:
The OP just has to learn to hit the bottle just right. Liquid to ice in a
few seconds.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ch&plinde x=0

that's called a "supercooled liquid" - you can actually cool a liquid
below its freezing point if it is very, very still - but jostle it a
little bit and it will immediately undergo a phase transformation.

I wouldn't recommend that video for a high school physics class though

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Nate Nagel wrote:

Now Budweiser, that's just nuckin' fasty.

Better than Stroh's. Or Rhinelander (possibly the worst beer in the world;
definitely the worst I've ever tasted).

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris Friesen writes:

Or you could just add a bunch of salt to the ice, thus lowering the
freezing point of the mel****er.

No. You confuse temperature and heat. The phase change is crucial.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Richard J Kinch wrote:
Chris Friesen writes:

Or you could just add a bunch of salt to the ice, thus lowering the
freezing point of the mel****er.

No. You confuse temperature and heat. The phase change is crucial.

Well, yes, but so is lowering the temperature at which that phase transition
occurs.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller writes:

No. You confuse temperature and heat. The phase change is crucial.

Well, yes, but so is lowering the temperature at which that phase
transition occurs.

The retention of melt water is a spoiler at any temperature. The product
must be in continuous, intimate thermal contact with the unmelted ice, and
the melt water rapidly drained away. This is what makes the heat transfer
fast. Undrained, the heat transfer slows down remarkably. The melt water
has no appreciable heat-sinking capacity, and just interferes with the heat
leaving the beverage and flowing to the ice. And the OPs desire was for
the fastest possible chill. Using brine (or glycol antifreeze if you
really want to experiment) will also lower the terminal temperature,
although it slows down reaching it, to where the beverage will be frozen
and slushy, not good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 29, 11:59 am, RickH wrote:
On Aug 29, 10:37 am, wrote:

[...]

Or pretend you're in England and drink warm beer.- Hide quoted text -

Heh. I shipped to Germany in 1962. All local bars served warm beer -
very good beer.

Shipped again in 1968 - many local, GI patronized bars now had chilled
beer. The guys like me who had been there before always had the beer
warmed (little electric heaters they stuck in the mug).

Then there was the NCO club. They served german beer but were
required to push American. Became automatic to order a German brew
and recieve an American with it which promptly got poured out.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 10:41:37 -0500, dpb wrote:

With that said, my object is to find a method to chill a can of beer,
or soda, or anything else in a can from room temperature to near
freezing temperature within a minute or less. ...

Ain't gonna happen.

In those hours you're getting ready add in a trip by the store and start
w/ chilled would be far cheaper and simpler than all the b/s you're
proposing.

This reeks of "troll"...

Yup. A troll. Anyway Mythbusters on TV did the experiments.
Discharging a CO2 fire extinguisher on the can will do a decent job
cooling the beer. The wisdom of carrying around a CO2 thingy for this
purpose will probably be something George will think a pretty good
idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Beer is easy. Don't worry about chilling it en route to your camp
spot. Worry
about will it warm up enough to drink when you get there.

Favorite white water rafting and desert camping trick. Works with
canned beer
only. Freeze the beer rock solid for two three days. It isn't hard to
find room in a
separate freezer to freeze 6 or 12. Beer freezes at a very low
temperature,
about 2 degrees fahrenheit. Once frozen it'll store forever in the freezer.

Does not work with non alcholic stuff. Non alcoholic stuff freezes at
too high a
temperature.

Use the frozen beer to keep the food in the cooler cold. Haul out a
couple when you arrive so they defrost in time to drink.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

Bob F wrote:

It doesn't need -50F ice. Put salt in ice and the temp drops.

Calcium chloride is a salt. The ASHRAE HOF says a 32% solution starts
to crystallize at -19.5 F, 30% at -50.8, 29.87% at -67.0, 29% at -49.4,
25% at -21.0, and 20% at -0.4. We might start at 30% and use just enough
ice (about 12/16(70-35)/144 = 0.2 pounds) to make the beer exactly 35 F
when the ice has all melted (frozen beer is no good), including the coolth
from the heat capacity and temperature of the final solution and calcium
chloride's heat of dilution.

But it doesn't get even _close_ to the -50F Nick suggests obtaining to
meet the desired 15 sec cooling time which is where this subthread
originated..

.... 1 minute, IIRC. The best sodium chloride solution is 23% at -5.1 F.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard J Kinch wrote:

The retention of melt water is a spoiler at any temperature. The product
must be in continuous, intimate thermal contact with the unmelted ice, and
the melt water rapidly drained away...

Or rapidly stirred...

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:

Heh. I shipped to Germany in 1962. All local bars served warm beer -
very good beer.

I worked with Siemens in 1975. In Munich, they cooled beer in the chilled
air ducts of their large computers.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 29, 9:51 pm, "clot" wrote:
..
I was afraid to make that comment! Coming from the other side of The
Pond, ice cold beer just ain't beer! - Hide quoted text -

..
I say. A chap shouldn't be afraid of defending their preference for
warm beer old boy.
Is there really any other way?
I mean to say; the need to chill any beer to a temperature where you
can't taste the darn stuff anyway may mean that it's not good beer
anyway; what?
And as to this stuff in bottles and tin cans!
Well ..................... what can one say.
Only good for cooking a chicken on a barbecue; as one associate often
says!
Now a Guiness etc. at close to room temperature "Is good for you". :-)
Cold beer? UGH!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 4:50 am, wrote:
Harry K wrote:

Heh. I shipped to Germany in 1962. All local bars served warm beer -
very good beer.

I worked with Siemens in 1975. In Munich, they cooled beer in the chilled
air ducts of their large computers.

Nick

I worked with a large telephone equipment manufacturing company in the
late 1950s.
Electro-mechanical telephone equipment then worked on large quantities
of 48 volts DC.
Many of the technicians tools included a little resistor that could be
wired up to the 48 volts to hang into and quickly heat one single mug
of water to make tea. The resistors, which were usually stained dark
brown from the teal leaves used (few tea bags then) didn't burn out
because the excess heat well above their, in air rating, boiled the
water!
Didn't take long for a one or two unnoticed amps at 48 volts to boil
one cup of water.
Watts = Volts (48) times amps (2) = 96 watts. As much almost as a 100
watt light bulb!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller writes:

No. You confuse temperature and heat. The phase change is crucial.

Well, yes, but so is lowering the temperature at which that phase
transition occurs.

The retention of melt water is a spoiler at any temperature. The product
must be in continuous, intimate thermal contact with the unmelted ice, and
the melt water rapidly drained away. This is what makes the heat transfer
fast. Undrained, the heat transfer slows down remarkably. The melt water
has no appreciable heat-sinking capacity

That's just complete nonsense -- suggest you look up, and compare, the
specific heat of water vs. specific heat of ice.

, and just interferes with the heat
leaving the beverage and flowing to the ice. And the OPs desire was for
the fastest possible chill.

Which is achieved using the fastest possible heat transfer. Again -- suggest
you investigate which is capable of absorbing, and transferring, heat at a
greater rate, ice or water.

--
Regards,