Charlie Tigh

Default Whole house instant hot water

I have googled and have read what the sellers have to say about the Grundfos
system but looking for comments from a user.
Our kitchen sink is the farthest distance from the water heater in the
garage and seems forever to get hot water. I'm going to do something to
improve the situation not only for conservation but also our convenience. We
are new to the house which is about ten years old.

SQLit

"Charlie Tigh" wrote in message
I have googled and have read what the sellers have to say about the

Grundfos
system but looking for comments from a user.
Our kitchen sink is the farthest distance from the water heater in the
garage and seems forever to get hot water. I'm going to do something to
improve the situation not only for conservation but also our convenience.

We
are new to the house which is about ten years old.

There are pumps made just for this situation. Reddy Heat is one, the box
stores sell some as well. Mounts under the sink and pulls hot water and
pushes it back into the cold side. Some shut off when the hot water arrives,
some run on timers.

I have had Grundfos pump on my solar system. Worked fine.

dean

Our office has a little water heater (just a few galons) under the
sink, and a cold feed. It always seems to be hot and it doesn't waste a
lot of 'hot' water as it comes along and warms up all the piping. I bet
you could get a 5 galon one and would love it.

Dean

Rich

"Charlie Tigh" wrote in message
I have googled and have read what the sellers have to say about the
Grundfos system but looking for comments from a user.
Our kitchen sink is the farthest distance from the water heater in the
garage and seems forever to get hot water. I'm going to do something to
improve the situation not only for conservation but also our convenience.
We are new to the house which is about ten years old.

I have the chilipepper in my bathroom. I really like it compared to running
what used to be hot water (and softened) down the drain for 40 seconds
waiting for hot water. it still takes 40 seconds but the water goes back
through the cold water line to the heater and shuts off when the water
reaches what ever you have set the time to run to. It is a little loud and I
believe the grundfos would be quiter as I used to have a grundos pump for
another use and you couldn't tell it was on. But I didn't know they had a
system when I bought the chilipepper.

YMMV

http://www.chilipepperapp.com/

Sherman

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 09:21:39 -0700, "Charlie Tigh"
wrote:

I have googled and have read what the sellers have to say about the Grundfos
system but looking for comments from a user.
Our kitchen sink is the farthest distance from the water heater in the
garage and seems forever to get hot water. I'm going to do something to
improve the situation not only for conservation but also our convenience. We
are new to the house which is about ten years old.

No you're not!

You are doing it strictly for convenience and not for conservation.

For conservation AND convenience, heavily insulate the pipe from
heater to faucet.

Sherman wrote:

"Charlie Tigh" wrote:

Our kitchen sink is the farthest distance from the water heater in the
garage and seems forever to get hot water. I'm going to do something to
improve the situation not only for conservation but also our convenience...

No you're not!

You are doing it strictly for convenience and not for conservation.

For conservation AND convenience, heavily insulate the pipe from
heater to faucet.

That won't help much with convenience, given the pipe's low thermal mass
and short time constant.

Nick

Wes Stewart

wrote:

I have googled and have read what the sellers have to say about the Grundfos
system but looking for comments from a user.
Our kitchen sink is the farthest distance from the water heater in the
garage and seems forever to get hot water. I'm going to do something to
improve the situation not only for conservation but also our convenience. We
are new to the house which is about ten years old.

No you're not!

You are doing it strictly for convenience and not for conservation.

So saving gallons of water each time he needs hot water isn't
conservation?

For conservation AND convenience, heavily insulate the pipe from
heater to faucet.

Sure. For me to do this all I'd have to do would be pull up my nice
brick floors, cut through the concrete and rebar in the slab and knock
the plaster off the CMU walls and punch holes in them too.

What a way to save money!

Charlie

wrote:

[...]

There is one in every group that has nothing better to do than make some
kind of remark without knowing the situation,
my pipes are buried in the floor or walls too so I have to take the next
best solution.

Sherman

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 11:50:32 -0700, "Charlie"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

There is nothing wrong with spending money for comfort and
convenience. Whether what you do is a net plus or minus for
conservation is a complicated question which isn't necessary to get
into here.

Yeah, I'm fortunate I guess in that my pipes are in the attic and
I've insulated about half of the distance to the guest bath. For
those who are designing new construction, please insulate the hot
water lines from heater to faucet, including in the interior walls.

Harry K

wrote:

[...]

1st off he isn't wasting "gallons" of water each time. A 40ft run of
1/2 or even 3/4 pipe doesn't hold "gallons". I am very dubious about
his 40sec figure. That is a long time.

2nd: For conservation you have to figure the cost of the 'waste' water
against the heat loss through a constantly circulating, uninsulated
pipe run. Hot water costs money to heat.

My bet is that the heat lost in the circulating system would cost more
than the waste water so you would be right. He is doing it for
convenience.

Harry K

Charlie

"Harry K" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:

[...]

I didn't intend to start an argument from my original post, just a simple
question for some one who knew if the system worked as described. I just
timed how long it took to get warm water, 90 seconds, that's without waiting
till it got hot. I didn't measure how much water I used, It is like waiting
for a pot of water to boil. Google-(whole house instant hot water) to see
what I was talking about what the sellers claim.
I just ordered one on e-bay and I'll let you know in the future. At 82 I
try to do what ever I can to help conserve where ever possible and we do
recycle etc. to help you young ones in the future.
Thanks to all.

Rich

"Charlie" wrote in message

"Harry K" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:

[...]

Good luck with the new faster hot water. I agree with your sentiments that
you didn't want to start an on going debate but that is one of the things
these groups tend to do. I once asked how to set the heat anticipatier on my
old Honeywell round thermostat (in an HVAC group) thinking there would be
one (1) answer. Well two weeks later after the snow settled I was told to
put the heat in cycle and measure the current draw through a meter and set
it to that....Simple enough but there was enough energy spent answering that
one simple question as it would take to heat my house for a month so I
should have invited them over to type their responses and I wouldn't have
needed my furnace that month!!

Good luck, Rich

Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 25th 05 11:34 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Water Softeners, good or bad?? Martin Hirsch Home Repair 23 July 14th 04 03:27 AM