Posted to alt.home.repair
jJim McLaughlin jJim McLaughlin is offline

Default Instant Cooling to 35deg.F

wrote:
I am looking for a means to instantly cool a can of beer to 35deg. F.
When I go camping. On hot summer days I like to go camping and sit
back to some very cold beers. I am the type of person whose job
responsibilities tend to fluctuate every day based on the weather and
other conditions. Therefore, I may discover at any time that there
won't be any work for the next few days. That's when I take off to go
camp at one of my favorite woods, and that could be any day of the
week, not just holidays or weekends.

When I leave to the campsite I make a grocery and beer run, pack my
cooler, hook up my camping trailer and within a few hours I am heading
off to camp. The problem is that when I get to camp, my beer is never
really cold. It sits in some ice for an hour or two and does not get
cold enough in such short time. I dont normally keep beer in the
fridge at home because I dont drink when I am working and it never
fails someone else will drink it before I am ready to go camping.
Otherwise I'd keep some right under the freezer compartment.

With that said, my object is to find a method to chill a can of beer,
or soda, or anything else in a can from room temperature to near
freezing temperature within a minute or less. I am aware that there
are certain gases that cause ice to form on a tank. For example,
using a disposible propane cylinder will form ice on the cylinder when
the gas is released quickly (like when I use my big weed burner
torch). I know there are other gases such as nitrogen or is it
hydrogen that can have this same effect. My question is what can I
use that is readily available, not extremely expensive, safe to use,
and will chill the can in seconds? The other question is how to use
the stuff in a portable environment. In other words, something I can
carry in my camper that simply involves using a hose, some sort of
cooling container for the beer can, and simply means turning on a
valve, giving me an ice cold beer in a minute or less. Remember, it
must be safe and something I can legally carry in a vehicle without
using up too much space.

All useful advice appreciated.

George

Beer is easy. Don't worry about chilling it en route to your camp
spot. Worry
about will it warm up enough to drink when you get there.

Favorite white water rafting and desert camping trick. Works with
canned beer
only. Freeze the beer rock solid for two three days. It isn't hard to
find room in a
separate freezer to freeze 6 or 12. Beer freezes at a very low
temperature,
about 2 degrees fahrenheit. Once frozen it'll store forever in the freezer.

Does not work with non alcholic stuff. Non alcoholic stuff freezes at
too high a
temperature.

Use the frozen beer to keep the food in the cooler cold. Haul out a
couple when you arrive so they defrost in time to drink.