Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Instant Cooling to 35deg.F

I am looking for a means to instantly cool a can of beer to 35deg. F.
When I go camping. On hot summer days I like to go camping and sit
back to some very cold beers. I am the type of person whose job
responsibilities tend to fluctuate every day based on the weather and
other conditions. Therefore, I may discover at any time that there
won't be any work for the next few days. That's when I take off to go
camp at one of my favorite woods, and that could be any day of the
week, not just holidays or weekends.

When I leave to the campsite I make a grocery and beer run, pack my
cooler, hook up my camping trailer and within a few hours I am heading
off to camp. The problem is that when I get to camp, my beer is never
really cold. It sits in some ice for an hour or two and does not get
cold enough in such short time. I dont normally keep beer in the
fridge at home because I dont drink when I am working and it never
fails someone else will drink it before I am ready to go camping.
Otherwise I'd keep some right under the freezer compartment.

With that said, my object is to find a method to chill a can of beer,
or soda, or anything else in a can from room temperature to near
freezing temperature within a minute or less. I am aware that there
are certain gases that cause ice to form on a tank. For example,
using a disposible propane cylinder will form ice on the cylinder when
the gas is released quickly (like when I use my big weed burner
torch). I know there are other gases such as nitrogen or is it
hydrogen that can have this same effect. My question is what can I
use that is readily available, not extremely expensive, safe to use,
and will chill the can in seconds? The other question is how to use
the stuff in a portable environment. In other words, something I can
carry in my camper that simply involves using a hose, some sort of
cooling container for the beer can, and simply means turning on a
valve, giving me an ice cold beer in a minute or less. Remember, it
must be safe and something I can legally carry in a vehicle without
using up too much space.

All useful advice appreciated.

George