Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default Rented apartment with drywall - best fastener options to hang stuff?

I just moved into this new high rise apartment and I'd like to hang
some stuff up. Mostly a few small paintings, but also a few heavier
(6.5 pounds/3kg) masks off the walls.

Anything wrong with the walls when I move out will obviously be my
fault, because the building just went up and I am the first renter.
So I'd like to minimize my visible exit damages to the drywall.

I have written down the paint color codes from Benjamin Moore for the
building, so I think I can touch up stuff when I leave.

Any suggestions as to what type of fasteners to use? And best ways to
fix things up when I leave? I've owned a house and am moderately
savvy about repairs.

In fact, let's extend the question all the way up to what adhesives to
use for my kids' posters. Ideally, I don't want my landlady to have
any excuses to bill me a repainting job.

Cheers

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Check out the little hooks where a nail goes through the hook and into the
wall at a 45 deg angle. They are cheap and in every hardware store, and
hold much more than you might think.
Do not use the adhesive products. They leave a nasty residue, and will
probably cause the loss of some damage deposit.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bill allemann"
wrote:

Check out the little hooks where a nail goes through the hook and into the
wall at a 45 deg angle. They are cheap and in every hardware store, and
hold much more than you might think.

do you mean these..... Hercules hooks?

http://www.1seenontvstore.com/hercules-hook.html
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Aug 28, 1:06 pm, wrote:
[...]

Any hangar that makes a hole is better than an adhesive hangar, a
hangar hole is very easily repaired later with single wipe of drywall
compound. While an adhesive hangar, when removed, will tear the
drywall paper off and that is very hard to hide/fix later when you are
moving out. Use the hangar that is appropriate for the weight of the
object. For example if the painting has a glass front, use a molly
bolt or mushrooming bolt. If a small picture is light then just use a
plastic anchor and screw. If its real light use a thumbtack or brad
hook.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote:
I just moved into this new high rise apartment and I'd like to hang
some stuff up. Mostly a few small paintings, but also a few heavier
(6.5 pounds/3kg) masks off the walls.

I suggest either of these:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...914,50630&ap=1
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...914,50630&ap=1

The first comes in a range of sizes and uses finishing nails to support
up to 75lb, the second is a single item that supports up to 50lb.

As others have said...small puncture marks are easily hidden, but
adhesive-based methods are hard to fix.

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default Thanks for all the tips :-)

Thanks for all the tips so far, this is quite helpful.

I think I am going to look into the finishing-nail based hooks.
Cleanup-wise, they seem a safer bet than the big plastic-anchored
stuff and I don't need that much holding power.

When I was talking about adhesives I was talking about posters only -
i.e. using two sided scotch tape or so to hang posters and papers up
on a wall. Not about adhesive-based hooks to hang up stuff up with.
I am pretty sure any glue strong enough to hold up 6 lbs will also rip
out the wall's paint when it leaves, regardless of claims by the
manufacturer.

Btw, is it just me or is there a real lack of furnishing books for
renters? Many of us will live in rented accommodations for years and
may want to tweak them a bit.

Yet, all the books I've seen assume:

a) you have tons of space to play with.
b) you own the place so you can rip it apart.
c) you have tons of money so that, in addition to a. and b. you can
afford super-duper custom furniture if you do want to save on space.

I had Sarah Susanka's Not So Big House book and its floor plans looked
more like Not So Small House to me. Still, she at least tries to be
realistic.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote:
Thanks for all the tips so far, this is quite helpful.

I think I am going to look into the finishing-nail based hooks.
Cleanup-wise, they seem a safer bet than the big plastic-anchored
stuff and I don't need that much holding power.

When I was talking about adhesives I was talking about posters only -
i.e. using two sided scotch tape or so to hang posters and papers up
on a wall. Not about adhesive-based hooks to hang up stuff up with.
I am pretty sure any glue strong enough to hold up 6 lbs will also rip
out the wall's paint when it leaves, regardless of claims by the
manufacturer.

Adhesive hangers are not reliable and are likely to damage the wall.
Scotch Tape is a bad idea - difficult to get the adhesive off. For
plain posters and small picture frames (up to 8x10), straight pins work
very nicely. Get them at fabric store or where they sell sewing
supplies. They sometimes bend, but if driven in at an angle will hold
nicely and leave very little defect when removed.

Btw, is it just me or is there a real lack of furnishing books for
renters? Many of us will live in rented accommodations for years and
may want to tweak them a bit.

Yet, all the books I've seen assume:

a) you have tons of space to play with.
b) you own the place so you can rip it apart.
c) you have tons of money so that, in addition to a. and b. you can
afford super-duper custom furniture if you do want to save on space.

I had Sarah Susanka's Not So Big House book and its floor plans looked
more like Not So Small House to me. Still, she at least tries to be
realistic.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

on 8/28/2007 4:39 PM Chris Friesen said the following:
wrote:
I just moved into this new high rise apartment and I'd like to hang
some stuff up. Mostly a few small paintings, but also a few heavier
(6.5 pounds/3kg) masks off the walls.

I suggest either of these:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...914,50630&ap=1

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...914,50630&ap=1

The first comes in a range of sizes and uses finishing nails to
support up to 75lb, the second is a single item that supports up to 50lb.

As others have said...small puncture marks are easily hidden, but
adhesive-based methods are hard to fix.

Chris

These have been around for a long time before Hercules hooks.
http://www.dlawlesshardware.com/pihasuhowiha.html

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

on 8/28/2007 5:34 PM Norminn said the following:
wrote:
[...]

Then there's the old reliable Thumb tacks.

Btw, is it just me or is there a real lack of furnishing books for
renters? Many of us will live in rented accommodations for years and
may want to tweak them a bit.

Yet, all the books I've seen assume:

a) you have tons of space to play with.
b) you own the place so you can rip it apart.
c) you have tons of money so that, in addition to a. and b. you can
afford super-duper custom furniture if you do want to save on space.

I had Sarah Susanka's Not So Big House book and its floor plans looked
more like Not So Small House to me. Still, she at least tries to be
realistic.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Saw an ad for these over the weekend, and wrote it down.
Hope someone has tried them.

www.herculeshook.com

Barbara

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote in news:1188324376.187316.151510
@r23g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

[...]

The place will probably be repainted anyway depending on how long you
live there. Yea, you're renting. But you are allowed to live there ya
know. Part of that is hanging things on the wall, walking on floors
wearing them, using the crapper, etc. All is just a matter of reasonable
care.

Holes in walls are indeed easily fixed if you have the touchup paint.

Tapes, although not recommended for hanging anything other than a poster
maybe, do leave sticky crap on the wall. That is EASILY removed with Goo
Gone available just about anywhere.

http://www.magicamerican.com/images/...es/GG3_big.gif