Posted to alt.home.repair

Default need electricity outside

hey,

i needs some electricity outside my house for a wireless security camera.
does anyone make an electrical outlet/socket which would screw into where a
lightbulb would normally go?

i don't know if i'm explaining this in an understandable manner... i have an
outdoor porch light that has a pretty big vented glass globe which is under
an overhang.
it would be perfect if i could just take out the bulb and screw in a device
that would allow me to plug the camera into where the bulb used to be (boy,
do i sound stupid here or what?).

anyway, i did a search for "screw-in outlet" and "screw-in socket" and came
up with nothing useful. does anyone make such a device and if so, what is it
called? are they safe?

thanks,

sammy

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

How bout this:
http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com...57.html?ref=42

"sammy" sammy@toast wrote in message
hey,

i needs some electricity outside my house for a wireless security camera.
does anyone make an electrical outlet/socket which would screw into where
a lightbulb would normally go?

i don't know if i'm explaining this in an understandable manner... i have
an outdoor porch light that has a pretty big vented glass globe which is
under an overhang.
it would be perfect if i could just take out the bulb and screw in a
device that would allow me to plug the camera into where the bulb used to
be (boy, do i sound stupid here or what?).

anyway, i did a search for "screw-in outlet" and "screw-in socket" and
came up with nothing useful. does anyone make such a device and if so,
what is it called? are they safe?

thanks,

sammy

Posted to alt.home.repair

"sammy" sammy@toast wrote

i don't know if i'm explaining this in an understandable manner... i have
an outdoor porch light that has a pretty big vented glass globe which is
under an overhang.
it would be perfect if i could just take out the bulb and screw in a
device that would allow me to plug the camera into where the bulb used to
be (boy, do i sound stupid here or what?).

No, I thought such a thing would be great for my Christmas lights,
too, and I was happy to find they do make them. I just bought it
at one of the big hardware stores. Every December, I trade my
side door light for a plug for the extention cord.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 10:18 pm, "sammy" sammy@toast wrote:
hey,

i needs some electricity outside my house for a wireless security camera.
does anyone make an electrical outlet/socket which would screw into where a
lightbulb would normally go?

i don't know if i'm explaining this in an understandable manner... i have an
outdoor porch light that has a pretty big vented glass globe which is under
an overhang.
it would be perfect if i could just take out the bulb and screw in a device
that would allow me to plug the camera into where the bulb used to be (boy,
do i sound stupid here or what?).

anyway, i did a search for "screw-in outlet" and "screw-in socket" and came
up with nothing useful. does anyone make such a device and if so, what is it
called? are they safe?

thanks,

sammy

buffalo ny: further consideration will be that generally the more the
lumens of light the better the camera's view.
resolution and lux levels are also part of a camera's specifications,
and consider the angle of view as very important also but beware of a
fisheye effect i have found on a front door camera with a wide 170
degrees. distance from subject will also determine if the subject's
face is identifiable at all. your results from an available socket
where you describe may not be what you are hoping for. try the device
in various positions. these devices have temperature limitations. an
outdoor camera in winter may need heat. others may use lots of led's
visible or otherwise to increase the illumination on the subject. the
presence of the camera surrounded by visible led's may not be what you
seek. there are many options for both cameras and electricians
available to you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

sammy wrote:
hey,

i needs some electricity outside my house for a wireless security camera.
does anyone make an electrical outlet/socket which would screw into where a
lightbulb would normally go?

i don't know if i'm explaining this in an understandable manner... i have an
outdoor porch light that has a pretty big vented glass globe which is under
an overhang.
it would be perfect if i could just take out the bulb and screw in a device
that would allow me to plug the camera into where the bulb used to be (boy,
do i sound stupid here or what?).

anyway, i did a search for "screw-in outlet" and "screw-in socket" and came
up with nothing useful. does anyone make such a device and if so, what is it
called? are they safe?

thanks,

sammy

Here 'tis:

http://tinyurl.com/2upb5d

As far as "safe" goes, they won't supply a ground to whatever is plugged
into them, but you could run a separate ground wire to the box which the
outdoor light is mounted on. Or. use a CFCI breaker on that circuit.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 22:18:31 -0400, "sammy" sammy@toast wrote:

hey,

i needs some electricity outside my house for a wireless security camera.
does anyone make an electrical outlet/socket which would screw into where a
lightbulb would normally go?

i don't know if i'm explaining this in an understandable manner... i have an
outdoor porch light that has a pretty big vented glass globe which is under
an overhang.
it would be perfect if i could just take out the bulb and screw in a device
that would allow me to plug the camera into where the bulb used to be (boy,
do i sound stupid here or what?).

anyway, i did a search for "screw-in outlet" and "screw-in socket" and came
up with nothing useful. does anyone make such a device and if so, what is it
called? are they safe?

thanks,

sammy

These things are available most places electrical stuff is sold. I
don't know what it's called, just what it looks like.

The socket will limit available current. This is often 2A or 5A.
Either should be plenty for your camera.

Putting a GFCI on that circuit is a good idea.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
Posted to alt.home.repair

"sammy" sammy@toast wrote in
:

hey,

i needs some electricity outside my house for a wireless security
camera. does anyone make an electrical outlet/socket which would screw
into where a lightbulb would normally go?

i don't know if i'm explaining this in an understandable manner... i
have an outdoor porch light that has a pretty big vented glass globe
which is under an overhang.
it would be perfect if i could just take out the bulb and screw in a
device that would allow me to plug the camera into where the bulb used
to be (boy, do i sound stupid here or what?).

anyway, i did a search for "screw-in outlet" and "screw-in socket" and
came up with nothing useful. does anyone make such a device and if so,
what is it called? are they safe?

thanks,

sammy

Readily available at hardware, home stores, or even wal-mart.

There are even ones with abuld socket so you don't lose the light.

However, all the ones I have seen are for use indoors, not sure
that using it outdoors is advisable. In a well protected area
(as you described) it may be ok.