Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water smells like the public pool

I've noticed recently that the water coming out of my bathtub faucets smells
like the public pool - CHLORINE! Normally it tastes, smells, and looks like
water, past week it tastes, smells, and looks like a bottle of bleach. Does
the city shock water lines occasionally? Would recent work in the area (new
construction and whatnot) cause this temporarily? I haven't seen my
neihbors lately otherwise I'd ask him - he works for the city water
department (for an adjacent city, but I suspect he'd know anyway).

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

The EPA does indeed require public water suppliers to switch to chlorine one
month per year. It used to be used all of the time but the EPA is also
concerned about carcinogens formed by the use of chlorine.

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
I've noticed recently that the water coming out of my bathtub faucets
smells like the public pool - CHLORINE! Normally it tastes, smells, and
looks like water, past week it tastes, smells, and looks like a bottle of
bleach. Does the city shock water lines occasionally? Would recent work
in the area (new construction and whatnot) cause this temporarily? I
haven't seen my neihbors lately otherwise I'd ask him - he works for the
city water department (for an adjacent city, but I suspect he'd know
anyway).

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Our local water works will shock the system with a massive dose of chlorine
especially during the hot summer months where sometimes the water will take
on a "rotten fish" type of smell if they are late or skip the shock
treatment.

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
I've noticed recently that the water coming out of my bathtub faucets
smells like the public pool - CHLORINE! Normally it tastes, smells, and
looks like water, past week it tastes, smells, and looks like a bottle of
bleach. Does the city shock water lines occasionally? Would recent work
in the area (new construction and whatnot) cause this temporarily? I
haven't seen my neihbors lately otherwise I'd ask him - he works for the
city water department (for an adjacent city, but I suspect he'd know
anyway).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
Our local water works will shock the system with a massive dose of
chlorine especially during the hot summer months where sometimes the water
will take on a "rotten fish" type of smell if they are late or skip the
shock treatment.

Hadn't noticed any bad smells in the water prior to that, and for what it's
worth the water has returned to normal. So I'm guessing its a one time
deal.

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
I've noticed recently that the water coming out of my bathtub faucets
smells like the public pool - CHLORINE! Normally it tastes, smells, and
looks like water, past week it tastes, smells, and looks like a bottle of
bleach. Does the city shock water lines occasionally? Would recent work
in the area (new construction and whatnot) cause this temporarily? I
haven't seen my neihbors lately otherwise I'd ask him - he works for the
city water department (for an adjacent city, but I suspect he'd know
anyway).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in
:

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
[...]

Just call the water company. They'll probably glady fill you in so you
understand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Bundy wrote:
Just call the water company. They'll probably glady fill you in so you
understand.

Agreed. You'd be surprised what the water company does and does not
have to do (or can get away with) and still fall within acceptable
limits for potable water.

In Baltimore (where I used to live) the City would pump the water out
of Loch Raven or Liberty Reservoirs (and occasionally the Susquehanna
River), treat it, and store it in various small reservoirs around the
city, from which it would be pumped to the consumers. If the water was
too polluted with bird poop and the like, they would dump some
chlorine in it and they were good to go as far as the water standards
are concerned.

Ugh. Drinking chlorinated bird poop. And we wonder why people buy Fiji
bottled water...