Posted to alt.home.repair
Kyle Kyle is offline

Default Water smells like the public pool

Eigenvector wrote:.
I've noticed recently that the water coming out of my bathtub
faucets smells like the public pool - CHLORINE!

Al Bundy wrote:
Just call the water company. They'll probably glady fill you in so you
understand.

Agreed. You'd be surprised what the water company does and does not
have to do (or can get away with) and still fall within acceptable
limits for potable water.

In Baltimore (where I used to live) the City would pump the water out
of Loch Raven or Liberty Reservoirs (and occasionally the Susquehanna
River), treat it, and store it in various small reservoirs around the
city, from which it would be pumped to the consumers. If the water was
too polluted with bird poop and the like, they would dump some
chlorine in it and they were good to go as far as the water standards
are concerned.

Ugh. Drinking chlorinated bird poop. And we wonder why people buy Fiji
bottled water...