Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home A/C Unit not Cooling Home Down

I am not sure to tell how many Tons the unit is, but the heating BTU's
is 92,000. The unit runs all day long and never cuts off because it
never cools down the home. When the temperature gets to the upper
80's and above this happens. I have checked the return and the filter
is clean and it has good suction, the temperature coming out of the
vents is usually between 23 & 26 degrees difference. However it seems
to be blowing a little week but I do not really know how hard it
should be blowing. HELP!

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am not sure to tell how many Tons the unit is, but the heating BTU's
is 92,000. The unit runs all day long and never cuts off because it
never cools down the home. When the temperature gets to the upper
80's and above this happens. I have checked the return and the filter
is clean and it has good suction, the temperature coming out of the
vents is usually between 23 & 26 degrees difference. However it seems
to be blowing a little week but I do not really know how hard it
should be blowing. HELP!

When was the last time you had it serviced?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like you need better insulation. a 26 degree drop is fantastic.
Perhaps closing blinds, and getting better windows and a light colored roof.
How's the attic ventilation?

steve

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am not sure to tell how many Tons the unit is, but the heating BTU's
is 92,000. The unit runs all day long and never cuts off because it
never cools down the home. When the temperature gets to the upper
80's and above this happens. I have checked the return and the filter
is clean and it has good suction, the temperature coming out of the
vents is usually between 23 & 26 degrees difference. However it seems
to be blowing a little week but I do not really know how hard it
should be blowing. HELP!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 14, 10:06 pm, wrote:
I am not sure to tell how many Tons the unit is, but the heating BTU's
is 92,000. The unit runs all day long and never cuts off because it
never cools down the home. When the temperature gets to the upper
80's and above this happens. I have checked the return and the filter
is clean and it has good suction, the temperature coming out of the
vents is usually between 23 & 26 degrees difference. However it seems
to be blowing a little week but I do not really know how hard it
should be blowing. HELP!

Shut off your vents downstairs, and open up the vents upstairs. Cool
air naturally migrates down.
Are your pipes by the inside coil getting cold and sweaty? If not,
sounds like you need a freon boost.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 14, 9:25 pm, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

I am not sure to tell how many Tons the unit is, but the heating BTU's
is 92,000. The unit runs all day long and never cuts off because it
never cools down the home. When the temperature gets to the upper
80's and above this happens. I have checked the return and the filter
is clean and it has good suction, the temperature coming out of the
vents is usually between 23 & 26 degrees difference. However it seems
to be blowing a little week but I do not really know how hard it
should be blowing. HELP!

When was the last time you had it serviced?

I had it serviced about a year ago where they took it apart and
cleaned everything good. We leave blinds closed, and the insulation
in the attic appears to look good. I have the blown in white cotton
looking insulation that comes up over the 2x10 ceiling joists.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 15, 2:44 am, Mikepier wrote:
On Aug 14, 10:06 pm, wrote:

I am not sure to tell how many Tons the unit is, but the heating BTU's
is 92,000. The unit runs all day long and never cuts off because it
never cools down the home. When the temperature gets to the upper
80's and above this happens. I have checked the return and the filter
is clean and it has good suction, the temperature coming out of the
vents is usually between 23 & 26 degrees difference. However it seems
to be blowing a little week but I do not really know how hard it
should be blowing. HELP!

Shut off your vents downstairs, and open up the vents upstairs. Cool
air naturally migrates down.

This would make sense if the problem was the downstairs was getting
cool, but the upstairs was still too hot. And even then, you would
only want to close a small portion of the downstairs vents.

Are your pipes by the inside coil getting cold and sweaty? If not,
sounds like you need a freon boost.

The system has a temp differential of 23-26 degrees, which is not
indicative of a freon issue. If anything it could suggest that the
air capacity moving through the system may be low. Did this system
ever work correctly? I'd suggest getting a service visit.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Mikepier" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 14, 10:06 pm, wrote:
I am not sure to tell how many Tons the unit is, but the heating BTU's
is 92,000. The unit runs all day long and never cuts off because it
never cools down the home. When the temperature gets to the upper
80's and above this happens. I have checked the return and the filter
is clean and it has good suction, the temperature coming out of the
vents is usually between 23 & 26 degrees difference. However it seems
to be blowing a little week but I do not really know how hard it
should be blowing. HELP!

Shut off your vents downstairs, and open up the vents upstairs. Cool
air naturally migrates down.
Are your pipes by the inside coil getting cold and sweaty? If not,
sounds like you need a freon boost.

Closing down vents is a good way to cause even more issues.

BTW, if you need refrigerant, there's a leak in the system, which needs to
be addressed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

wrote in message
ps.com...
On Aug 14, 9:25 pm, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

I am not sure to tell how many Tons the unit is, but the heating BTU's
is 92,000. The unit runs all day long and never cuts off because it
never cools down the home. When the temperature gets to the upper
80's and above this happens. I have checked the return and the filter
is clean and it has good suction, the temperature coming out of the
vents is usually between 23 & 26 degrees difference. However it seems
to be blowing a little week but I do not really know how hard it
should be blowing. HELP!

When was the last time you had it serviced?

I had it serviced about a year ago where they took it apart and
cleaned everything good. We leave blinds closed, and the insulation
in the attic appears to look good. I have the blown in white cotton
looking insulation that comes up over the 2x10 ceiling joists.

Well, it's time for another appointment.

Make sure they check for proper airflow through the evaporator!

Posted to alt.home.repair

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

When was the last time you had it serviced?

Oh. Does it need to get screwed by an AC professional?
They seem to think that they are real studs, but
the air conditioner and everyone else thinks otherwise.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"dontreply" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

When was the last time you had it serviced?

Oh. Does it need to get screwed by an AC professional?
They seem to think that they are real studs, but
the air conditioner and everyone else thinks otherwise.

Might as well call the Maytag repairman, Eh?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 15, 8:22 am, wrote:
On Aug 14, 9:25 pm, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

wrote in message

roups.com...

I am not sure to tell how many Tons the unit is, but the heating BTU's
is 92,000. The unit runs all day long and never cuts off because it
never cools down the home. When the temperature gets to the upper
80's and above this happens. I have checked the return and the filter
is clean and it has good suction, the temperature coming out of the
vents is usually between 23 & 26 degrees difference. However it seems
to be blowing a little week but I do not really know how hard it
should be blowing. HELP!

When was the last time you had it serviced?

I had it serviced about a year ago where they took it apart and
cleaned everything good. We leave blinds closed, and the insulation
in the attic appears to look good. I have the blown in white cotton
looking insulation that comes up over the 2x10 ceiling joists.

What you want is _gapless_ insulation coverage, above and in the
walls.
And absolutely minimal leakage, both above and below. Just as much
insulation as you can manage.

Attic ventilation- think fan-boosted- would be a real + for you.

Where are you situated? If between Tulsa and Chattanooga, you're
getting especially hammered with heat this summer. Which might
well be reason to:
1) take insulation to the "next level" or more- sealing, too.
2) give up on cooling the whole house, and focus on some rooms,
like on NE side.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had to come back to this message after seeing it quoted several times..
Why the heck do you have 2 by TEN ceiling joists? Are you sure they're not
2x4 or 2x6? If your insulation is just barely covering a 2x6, then you're
about 7 to 8 inches short of a good job.

steve

wrote in message
ps.com...
I had it serviced about a year ago where they took it apart and
cleaned everything good. We leave blinds closed, and the insulation
in the attic appears to look good. I have the blown in white cotton
looking insulation that comes up over the 2x10 ceiling joists.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

dontreply wrote:
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

When was the last time you had it serviced?

Oh. Does it need to get screwed by an AC professional?
They seem to think that they are real studs, but
the air conditioner and everyone else thinks otherwise.

It's not rocket science, but there is some specialized knowledge
involved, and a bit of experience can help, too.

The root problem is economics. Some of the folks who do such
work for a living seem to think they're entitled to bigger yachts
than they actually deserve. A secondary problem is that some
(seemingly many) of them are arrogant and think more of themselves
than is warranted.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Zyp Zyp is offline

CJT wrote:
dontreply wrote:
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

When was the last time you had it serviced?

Oh. Does it need to get screwed by an AC professional?
They seem to think that they are real studs, but
the air conditioner and everyone else thinks otherwise.

It's not rocket science, but there is some specialized knowledge
involved, and a bit of experience can help, too.

The root problem is economics. Some of the folks who do such
work for a living seem to think they're entitled to bigger yachts
than they actually deserve. A secondary problem is that some
(seemingly many) of them are arrogant and think more of themselves
than is warranted.

I'm glad someone gets a yacht! I don't have one. Do you have one?
Because it apparently is big!

--
Zyp

Posted to alt.home.repair

CJT wrote:

dontreply wrote:

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

When was the last time you had it serviced?

Oh. Does it need to get screwed by an AC professional?
They seem to think that they are real studs, but
the air conditioner and everyone else thinks otherwise.

It's not rocket science, but there is some specialized knowledge
involved, and a bit of experience can help, too.

The root problem is economics. Some of the folks who do such
work for a living seem to think they're entitled to bigger yachts
than they actually deserve. A secondary problem is that some
(seemingly many) of them are arrogant and think more of themselves
than is warranted.

You guys are too serious. I think that he meant definition 4.a below:

ser·vice (sūr'vi(s)
n.