Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair
Doc Doc is offline

Default Is this fry pan trashed now?

I have a teflon pan that was left on the stove with water in it, set
at high to boil it and left it too long, the water boiled out and now
the bottom area of the teflon is kind of a smooth chalky gray, doesn't
feel anything like the rest of the teflon.

Anything that can be done with it or is it trashed?

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

Doc wrote:

I have a teflon pan that was left on the stove with water in it, set
at high to boil it and left it too long, the water boiled out and now
the bottom area of the teflon is kind of a smooth chalky gray, doesn't
feel anything like the rest of the teflon.

Anything that can be done with it or is it trashed?

Is the finish ruined or is it just a mineral buildup from the water. Put
some vinegar in it and let it soak.
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

"Doc" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a teflon pan that was left on the stove with water in it, set
at high to boil it and left it too long, the water boiled out and now
the bottom area of the teflon is kind of a smooth chalky gray, doesn't
feel anything like the rest of the teflon.

Anything that can be done with it or is it trashed?

Just use it. The carcinogens are now totally available.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

Doc wrote:
I have a teflon pan that was left on the stove with water in it, set
at high to boil it and left it too long, the water boiled out and now
the bottom area of the teflon is kind of a smooth chalky gray, doesn't
feel anything like the rest of the teflon.

Anything that can be done with it or is it trashed?

Wash it out and continue to use it if you want. Finish may not work as
well but there is no health hazard. You cannot restore the finish.
Hazard of overheating teflon will cause flu like symptoms to you but
maybe kill your canaries, whatever, as birds have higher respiratory
requirements. Same thing could happen to birds in all metal pan burning
food.
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On Aug 15, 10:15 am, Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:
Doc wrote:
I have a teflon pan that was left on the stove with water in it, set
at high to boil it and left it too long, the water boiled out and now
the bottom area of the teflon is kind of a smooth chalky gray, doesn't
feel anything like the rest of the teflon.

Anything that can be done with it or is it trashed?

Wash it out and continue to use it if you want. Finish may not work as
well but there is no health hazard. You cannot restore the finish.
Hazard of overheating teflon will cause flu like symptoms to you but
maybe kill your canaries, whatever, as birds have higher respiratory
requirements. Same thing could happen to birds in all metal pan burning
food.

Don't worry teflon is now under suspicion in certain countries as a
possible cancer causative.
So no matter what the colour it's probably done it's deadly work
anyway.
If you DO have any doubts however; throw it away!
Yes; during the last 50 years we have had teflon coated cooking pans/
utensils.
One of us has died, probably unconnected to use of teflon? I'm still
here.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

Doc wrote:
I have a teflon pan that was left on the stove with water in it, set
at high to boil it and left it too long, the water boiled out and now
the bottom area of the teflon is kind of a smooth chalky gray, doesn't
feel anything like the rest of the teflon.

Anything that can be done with it or is it trashed?

Wash it out and continue to use it if you want. Finish may not work as
well but there is no health hazard. You cannot restore the finish.
Hazard of overheating teflon will cause flu like symptoms to you but
maybe kill your canaries, whatever, as birds have higher respiratory
requirements. Same thing could happen to birds in all metal pan burning
food.

Well, if you generate enough smoke, I guess it's true that food
burning in any metal pan could kill birds at some point. But teflon
heated to high temp generates a specific chemical that is highly toxic
and will kill biirds. A stainless, cast iron, etc will not do that,
so its not all the same.

As for the question, if the pan was overheated on for a considerable
time and won't clean up, then it should be thrown out.

Don't worry teflon is now under suspicion in certain countries as a
possible cancer causative.
So no matter what the colour it's probably done it's deadly work
anyway.
If you DO have any doubts however; throw it away!
Yes; during the last 50 years we have had teflon coated cooking pans/
utensils.
One of us has died, probably unconnected to use of teflon? I'm still
here.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

Doc wrote:
[...]

Now, I wouldn't say you're all here If you can lead me to a primary
source that says teflon may cause cancer, I'd like to see it. You are
more likely to generate carcinogens just by cooking food.

I think teflon cookware is safe to use but lifetime is limited. Teflon
is plastic, you know. We have a 45 year old stainless Revereware frying
pan that we still use.

Frank
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:

Now, I wouldn't say you're all here If you can lead me to a primary
source that says teflon may cause cancer, I'd like to see it.

Try a google search for "teflon coating carcinogen epa". The issue is
not the teflon itself, but the perfluorooctanoic acid used in making the
coating.

Chris
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

Chris Friesen wrote:
Frank wrote:

Now, I wouldn't say you're all here If you can lead me to a primary
source that says teflon may cause cancer, I'd like to see it.

Try a google search for "teflon coating carcinogen epa". The issue is
not the teflon itself, but the perfluorooctanoic acid used in making the
coating.

Chris

PFOA is absent in the fry pan finish. It most likely gets blasted out
during the cure cycle where the finish is baked on the fry pan. I've
heard of dead birds near the fume vents. At one time DuPont used to put
out pamphlets in pet shops with teflon warnings.

Not sure of the status of DuPont getting it out of the teflon process
but concern started at Parkersburg, WV plant where, I believe, women
workers thought it responsible for miscarriages.
PFOA is/was used in the teflon polymerization process and was retained
in the finished polymer emulsion.

Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote in message
I think teflon cookware is safe to use but lifetime is limited.

Teflon
is plastic, you know. We have a 45 year old stainless Revereware

frying
pan that we still use.

Frank

And good seasoned cast iron lasts just about forever and is very good
at non-stick.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

According to Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet:

Now, I wouldn't say you're all here If you can lead me to a primary
source that says teflon may cause cancer, I'd like to see it. You are
more likely to generate carcinogens just by cooking food.

While not specifically authoritive, the summary and references should suit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teflon

I think teflon cookware is safe to use but lifetime is limited. Teflon
is plastic, you know. We have a 45 year old stainless Revereware frying
pan that we still use.

One of the biproducts of heating teflon over 660F is carbon tetrafloride (CF4).
Given how nasty carbon tetrachloride (CCl4) is (including being a known
carcinogen), CF4 can't be good for you, carcinogenic or otherwise.

The FDA's appears to have concluded that teflon pans are perfectly safe,
unless they're overheated, at which point they emit toxic fumes which can
cause adverse effects relatively quickly.

All that said, there was some research published a year or two ago that
pointed out that fried food (regardless of pan type) causes an increased
cancer risk.

[We use both teflon and cast iron pans, and are very careful about not
overheating teflon. Aside from possible toxicity, it shortens the
lifetime of the pan. Even without overheating, most teflon pans have
a useable "non-stick" lifespan of only 2-4 years. Tho, higher end
pans (much thicker substrates, eg: Analon) will last considerably longer.]
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 11:16:20 -0700, "Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom
wrote:

Frank wrote in message
I think teflon cookware is safe to use but lifetime is limited.

Teflon
is plastic, you know. We have a 45 year old stainless Revereware

frying
pan that we still use.

Frank

And good seasoned cast iron lasts just about forever and is very good
at non-stick.

Cheri

Hear, Hear! My cast iron pans, from my late mother,
are perfectly satisfactory -- in fact, they cook great!

Non-stick pans, which I have never bought, are just another example
of the "must-have" scam which sophisticated advertising shoves
down our...or up our...

What is so god-awful difficult about washing a cast-iron pan? Yet
advertising apparently convinced a goodly segment of the market
that it's just too, too, onerous, and therefore they must have a
non-stick pan. I didn't know about the carcinogenic problem way back
then; I just didn't like the slick (pun intended) argument.

Same scam that gave us, inter alia, margarine, which is so
horrendously unhealthful, compared with butter, that one
has to stand back and shake one's head...

And diet after diet after diet, a gazillion-dollar industry-scam.
when everybody knows that (medical conditions excepted), all the
person needs to do is take in fewer calories than expended (via
exercise).

Yes..there's one born every day.

Aspasia
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 21:53:13 -0000, (Chris
Lewis) wrote:

[...]

Does anyone actually believe one word the FDA publishes? With their
track record???!!!!

All that said, there was some research published a year or two ago that
pointed out that fried food (regardless of pan type) causes an increased
cancer risk.

[We use both teflon and cast iron pans, and are very careful about not
overheating teflon. Aside from possible toxicity, it shortens the
lifetime of the pan. Even without overheating, most teflon pans have
a useable "non-stick" lifespan of only 2-4 years. Tho, higher end
pans (much thicker substrates, eg: Analon) will last considerably longer.]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hear, Hear! My cast iron pans, from my late mother,
are perfectly satisfactory -- in fact, they cook great!

Non-stick pans, which I have never bought, are just another example
of the "must-have" scam which sophisticated advertising shoves
down our...or up our...

Well... as much as I like cast iron, they are not flat enough for my Ceran
cooktop... And I'd hate to think what would happen if I dropped an iron pan
from an inch... SMASH!

My next cooktop is going to be gas.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 18:24:34 -0700, Doc wrote:

I have a teflon pan that was left on the stove with water in it, set
at high to boil it and left it too long, the water boiled out and now
the bottom area of the teflon is kind of a smooth chalky gray, doesn't
feel anything like the rest of the teflon.

Anything that can be done with it or is it trashed?

I would not worry about the pan. Just be thankful you and other
family members are still alive. Burned teflon is known to kill small
animals, especially birds. People can become extremely ill, and
possibly die. Get yourself a new pan, one without teflon.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 13:48:41 -0000, wrote:

As for the question, if the pan was overheated on for a considerable
time and won't clean up, then it should be thrown out.

Or used for mixing plaster, etc. It even has a handle.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair
Stu Stu is offline

After reading all these posts I would throw it out just to be safe.
Mind you I think everything gives you cancer these days. I am sure
someone will tell us breathing and drinking water will give us cancer
soon!

Stu
www.cateringappliancesltd.co.uk