Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair
Frank Frank is offline

Default Is this fry pan trashed now?

Chris Friesen wrote:
Frank wrote:

Now, I wouldn't say you're all here If you can lead me to a primary
source that says teflon may cause cancer, I'd like to see it.

Try a google search for "teflon coating carcinogen epa". The issue is
not the teflon itself, but the perfluorooctanoic acid used in making the
coating.

Chris

PFOA is absent in the fry pan finish. It most likely gets blasted out
during the cure cycle where the finish is baked on the fry pan. I've
heard of dead birds near the fume vents. At one time DuPont used to put
out pamphlets in pet shops with teflon warnings.

Not sure of the status of DuPont getting it out of the teflon process
but concern started at Parkersburg, WV plant where, I believe, women
workers thought it responsible for miscarriages.
PFOA is/was used in the teflon polymerization process and was retained
in the finished polymer emulsion.

Frank