Posted to alt.home.repair
Liz Liz is offline

Default Can wall oven be installed under cooktop?

Hi! I am looking to install a wall oven under a cooktop. The
cooktop's dimension is 2 inches height, with a cutout clearance below
cooktop of 4.5". The wall oven has height of 29 1/16 inches, with a
cutout height of 27 1/4".

I understand standard base cabinets comes in about 34". If I add the
height of the cooktop + the clearance + wall oven height, that would
come out to be a little over 35.5 inches, 1.5 inches taller than the
base cabinet height. So it would seem that this would not work.
However, I looked through the Sears.com site and am not able to find a
shorter wall oven.

So my question: is it not possible to install wall oven under cooktop
w/o custom-made cabinets? I see a lot of houses, as well the Sears
show-room, with this setting. How are they done?

thanks,
- Liz

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 14, 3:32 pm, Liz wrote:
Hi! I am looking to install a wall oven under a cooktop. The
cooktop's dimension is 2 inches height, with a cutout clearance below
cooktop of 4.5". The wall oven has height of 29 1/16 inches, with a
cutout height of 27 1/4".

I understand standard base cabinets comes in about 34". If I add the
height of the cooktop + the clearance + wall oven height, that would
come out to be a little over 35.5 inches, 1.5 inches taller than the
base cabinet height. So it would seem that this would not work.
However, I looked through the Sears.com site and am not able to find a
shorter wall oven.

So my question: is it not possible to install wall oven under cooktop
w/o custom-made cabinets? I see a lot of houses, as well the Sears
show-room, with this setting. How are they done?

thanks,
- Liz

Um, so why don't you just get a standard range? They're often less
expensive than buying a cooktop or wall oven alone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Liz wrote:
Hi! I am looking to install a wall oven under a cooktop. The
cooktop's dimension is 2 inches height, with a cutout clearance below
cooktop of 4.5". The wall oven has height of 29 1/16 inches, with a
cutout height of 27 1/4".

I understand standard base cabinets comes in about 34". If I add the
height of the cooktop + the clearance + wall oven height, that would
come out to be a little over 35.5 inches, 1.5 inches taller than the
base cabinet height. So it would seem that this would not work.
However, I looked through the Sears.com site and am not able to find a
shorter wall oven.

So my question: is it not possible to install wall oven under cooktop
w/o custom-made cabinets? I see a lot of houses, as well the Sears
show-room, with this setting. How are they done?

thanks,
- Liz

Show me a link to a website that even shows such a thing, and I'll
tell you how its done.
--
Grandpa
Posted to alt.home.repair
Liz Liz is offline

On Aug 14, 3:41 pm, mike wrote:
On Aug 14, 3:32 pm, Liz wrote:

[...]

expensive than buying a cooktop or wall oven alone.- Hide quoted text -

I can't get a standard range for 2 reasons:

1. I'm looking at induction cooktop. The only ones I can find are all
cooktops and not standard ranges.
2. The cooktop will be sitting on an island. the ranges have a little
backing so the island won't be a single flat surface.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Liz Liz is offline

On Aug 14, 3:46 pm, Grandpa wrote:
Liz wrote:
[...]

Grandpa- Hide quoted text -

I'm not 100% sure, but I think this page has it set up that way:
http://www.kraftmaid.com/rooms/index...mscenei d=475.

If you look at the cooking area, I dont think that's a standalone
range but a cooktop on top of a wall oven, right?

I mainly saw this kind of set up in Sears showrooms. Also saw it in a
couple of houses a while back.

thanks,
- Liz

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 14, 3:32 pm, Liz wrote:
Hi! I am looking to install a wall oven under a cooktop. The
cooktop's dimension is 2 inches height, with a cutout clearance below
cooktop of 4.5". The wall oven has height of 29 1/16 inches, with a
cutout height of 27 1/4".

I understand standard base cabinets comes in about 34". If I add the
height of the cooktop + the clearance + wall oven height, that would
come out to be a little over 35.5 inches, 1.5 inches taller than the
base cabinet height. So it would seem that this would not work.
However, I looked through the Sears.com site and am not able to find a
shorter wall oven.

So my question: is it not possible to install wall oven under cooktop
w/o custom-made cabinets? I see a lot of houses, as well the Sears
show-room, with this setting. How are they done?

thanks,
- Liz

Standard base cabinets are usually 34.5" with standard countertop
elevation of 36". So 36 - 4.5 - 29 1/16 = 2.4375" leftover space.
You'd just have to ask yourself if the oven you have hinges too low to
be a good idea ergonomically speaking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 14, 4:18 pm, mike wrote:
On Aug 14, 3:32 pm, Liz wrote:

[...]

be a good idea ergonomically speaking.- Hide quoted text -

And if you use the cutout height for the oven (as maybe I should have
done above), you have even more room.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Liz Liz is offline

On Aug 14, 4:18 pm, mike wrote:
On Aug 14, 3:32 pm, Liz wrote:

[...]

Thank you. I guess my calculation method is incorrect...

With regard to the egornomic question, is this worse than a standalone
range, where the oven is below the cooking surface?

thanks,
- Liz

Posted to alt.home.repair

Liz wrote:

So my question: is it not possible to install wall oven under cooktop
w/o custom-made cabinets? I see a lot of houses, as well the Sears
show-room, with this setting. How are they done?

thanks,
- Liz

When we had our house built 9 years ago, we had the builder install a GE
Profile 5-burner cooktop, with a 30-inch oven GE Profile electric wall
oven installed in the cabinet below it. It was a fairly close fit, but
it worked. So yes, it can be done.

--Steve
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 14, 4:25 pm, Liz wrote:
On Aug 14, 4:18 pm, mike wrote:

On Aug 14, 3:32 pm, Liz wrote:

[...]

- Liz- Hide quoted text -

I'd think it'd be worse. Many wall ovens hinge near the bottom,
whereas standalone ranges have doors that usually hinge above a
storage drawer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Liz wrote:
[...]

OK, thank you. What you are looking at in the kraftmaid site looks
like a drop in oven with a trim kit. I can't tell for sure, but it
doesn't look like an induction cook surface either. And to compound
your problem further, you really don't have 34 inches for a cabinet
height. There is a four inch toe kick at the bottom, so you really
only have 30 inches for most standard kitchen counter heights.
If you have really seen an induction cooktop over a wall oven, I'll
be surprised. There's three basic types of oven range combinations;
free standing, slide-in, and drop-in. After that, there are cooktops
and wall ovens. I tried searching for an induction range/oven
combination and came up as short as you seem to have.

--
Grandpa
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 14, 6:30 pm, wrote:
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 15:32:08 -0700, Liz wrote:
Hi! I am looking to install a wall oven under a cooktop. The
cooktop's dimension is 2 inches height, with a cutout clearance below
cooktop of 4.5". The wall oven has height of 29 1/16 inches, with a
cutout height of 27 1/4".

I understand standard base cabinets comes in about 34". If I add the
height of the cooktop + the clearance + wall oven height, that would
come out to be a little over 35.5 inches, 1.5 inches taller than the
base cabinet height. So it would seem that this would not work.
However, I looked through the Sears.com site and am not able to find a
shorter wall oven.

So my question: is it not possible to install wall oven under cooktop
w/o custom-made cabinets? I see a lot of houses, as well the Sears
show-room, with this setting. How are they done?

thanks,
- Liz

Have the cabinet guy laminate a riser in the counter top above the
cabinet deep enough to take the cooktop.- Hide quoted text -

And just for the record, the pic in the supplied link looks like a
stove consisting of a range and oven together. It doesn't look like a
seperate range and wall oven to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Liz" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi! I am looking to install a wall oven under a cooktop. The
cooktop's dimension is 2 inches height, with a cutout clearance below
cooktop of 4.5". The wall oven has height of 29 1/16 inches, with a
cutout height of 27 1/4".

I understand standard base cabinets comes in about 34". If I add the
height of the cooktop + the clearance + wall oven height, that would
come out to be a little over 35.5 inches, 1.5 inches taller than the
base cabinet height. So it would seem that this would not work.
However, I looked through the Sears.com site and am not able to find a
shorter wall oven.

So my question: is it not possible to install wall oven under cooktop
w/o custom-made cabinets? I see a lot of houses, as well the Sears
show-room, with this setting. How are they done?

Why would you spend all that money on a custom oven and cooktop and then
cheap out on the cabinets???

Find someplace else for the oven and mount it high enough to be comfortable!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Liz Liz is offline

On Aug 14, 4:54 pm, "Noozer" wrote:
"Liz" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

it's the kitchen space i have to work with. if i mount the oven high
up then that's less counter space i have. it also makes the kitchen
look really small and closed in when it's all walled up.

thanks,
- Liz

Posted to alt.home.repair
Liz Liz is offline

On Aug 14, 4:46 pm, wrote:
On Aug 14, 6:30 pm, wrote:

[...]

seperate range and wall oven to me.- Hide quoted text -

I dont think they are one unit. You can see the counter top going
across. Here's another pic I found:
http://www.essentialkitchendesign.co...all/index.html.

Thanks,
- Liz

Posted to alt.home.repair

Liz wrote:
On Aug 14, 4:46 pm, wrote:
On Aug 14, 6:30 pm, wrote:

[...]

Thank you. You are right on this one, it has enough detail to show
that you have an oven unit under a cook top. Still doesn't look like
an induction cooktop though. IIRC, they are a bit deeper than most,
which could interfere with putting an oven underneath. It looks very
similar to the oven in the kraftmaid site; have you been able to
find that particular oven?
--
Grandpa
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 15:54:31 -0700, Liz wrote:

On Aug 14, 3:41 pm, mike wrote:
On Aug 14, 3:32 pm, Liz wrote:

[...]

Jenn-Aire makes ranges with inductive cooktops.
They even make such a range that's designed to be built into cabinets
on each side with the option of downdraft venting.

Doug
Posted to alt.home.repair

Liz wrote:
Hi! I am looking to install a wall oven under a cooktop. The
cooktop's dimension is 2 inches height, with a cutout clearance
below cooktop of 4.5". The wall oven has height of 29 1/16 inches,
with a cutout height of 27 1/4".

I understand standard base cabinets comes in about 34". If I add
the height of the cooktop + the clearance + wall oven height, that
would come out to be a little over 35.5 inches, 1.5 inches taller
than the base cabinet height. So it would seem that this would not
work. However, I looked through the Sears.com site and am not able
to find a shorter wall oven.

So my question: is it not possible to install wall oven under
cooktop w/o custom-made cabinets? I see a lot of houses, as well
the Sears show-room, with this setting. How are they done?

Yes, it is possible.

In your case, if the counter height is 36" and you have a standard 4"
kick then you have (36-4) = 32" of space. You need 2"+4.5" for the
cooktop so you now have 25.5" for your oven. You need 27.25" for oven
so that one won't fit...you are shy by (minimally) 1.75".

I can think of two solutions...
1. Reduce the size of the toe kick in the oven area or raise the
counter height.
2. Get a shorter oven. Here is a site with many...
http://www.ajmadison.com/b.php/Titan...all+oven;Nao~2
0;Nty~1;N~0
Here are a few specific one from that site (there are many more)
http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajm...BL5035AUC.html
http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajm...ECS136SBK.html
http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajm...30SO75ESS.html
http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajm...JW7530DDB.html
http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajm...JW7530DDB.html

******************
Like others, I suggest you give some real thought to locating the oven
in its own cabinet. Under the cooktop they are hard to see into, hard
to reach into. Both are *much* easier when the oven is higher.

If you bake, you have pans. You need a pan drawer. Those under
ranges are woefully insuffucient...if you have a wall oven cabinet you
can have a generouslly sized one - one that is tall enought to stand
trays and pans vertically.

Yes, you would lose counter space. Or would you? Are you planning a
countertop microwave? It could be placed in the wall oven cabinet.
If not - or if you prefer it on the counter - a toaster and/or coffee
maker could be placed on a shelf above the oven. In either case, you
reclaim counter space.

You would also gain a LARGE cabinet at the top of the wall oven
cabinet. No, it isn't easily accessible but it is great for storing
large, infrequently needed things.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Simple answer to all this. Go visit a couple of high end appliance
stores or kitchen design centers. They have experience as to what is
available and works well in this application. And it's worth paying
a little more to get a good solution. If it were me, as others have
suggested, I'd probably get advice on the overall design too, rather
than the specific issue. A good kitchen design house may have ideas
you haven't thought of, and that no one can offer without seeing the
layout.

Not to say this is where you are headed, but I've seen so many houses
with screwed up kitchens that detract from their value. Things like
microwaves built in under a center island, where you have to stoop
over to get to it. Or refrigerators that stick out 6" past the ends
of the cabinets. Or a std size single bowl sink in a kitchen with
granite countertops. With a little professional planning, a lot of
this could be avoided.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2007-08-15, Doug wrote:

Jenn-Aire makes ranges with inductive cooktops.

Can you provide a model number? They have plenty of electric ranges
with smooth tops, but I couldn't find any ranges on their website with
induction cooktops. And a google on "induction site:jennair.com" came
up with 0 hits.

Thanks, Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

With a little professional planning, a lot of
this could be avoided.

Some of the biggest goof-ups in kitchen planning have been perpetrated
by professionals. Double check their advice by building some
rudimentary cardboard mock-ups, making your own drawings and checking
for interferences, and by just sitting down and doing some mental
simulations once you have a good feel for the proposed design.

Many kitchen planning "pros" are high school dropouts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

BTW, before you get too far you might want to look over these
(lengthy) discussions:

http://ellenskitchen.com/forum/messages/422.html
http://www.ellenskitchen.com/forum/messages/2344.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 17:11:08 GMT, Wayne Whitney

On 2007-08-15, Doug wrote:

Jenn-Aire makes ranges with inductive cooktops.

Can you provide a model number? They have plenty of electric ranges
with smooth tops, but I couldn't find any ranges on their website with
induction cooktops. And a google on "induction site:jennair.com" came
up with 0 hits.

Thanks, Wayne

I have a Jenn-Aire model S161 with the induction option.
These ranges have "cartridges" allowing a choice of glass/ceramic top,
conventional coil, solid ceramic elements and induction.

The induction cartridge part numbers include A130R (white), A135R
(black)

Perhaps with the Maytag takeover of Jenn-Aire and the subsequent
take-over of Maytag by Whirlpool, these models or options have been
discontinued?

I'll have to research that myself.

Doug
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2007-08-15, Doug wrote:

Jenn-Aire makes ranges with inductive cooktops.

Can you provide a model number? They have plenty of electric ranges
with smooth tops, but I couldn't find any ranges on their website with
induction cooktops. And a google on "induction site:jennair.com" came
up with 0 hits.

Thanks, Wayne

They've probably discontinued the model Jenn-Air slide in range that I
have. However, on their website I see their current model listed with
optional top cartridges:
JES9860BAS

Yet, in the online owner's manual, I do see various cartridge options
available with no mention of induction. I suspect that a call to them
would be in order since I know that the induction cartridges are still
available via their parts department.

Doug

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2007-08-17, Doug wrote:

I have a Jenn-Aire model S161 with the induction option. These
ranges have "cartridges" allowing a choice of glass/ceramic top,
conventional coil, solid ceramic elements and induction. The
induction cartridge part numbers include A130R (white), A135R
(black)

Jenn-Aire told me that this model has been discontinued, and that
their current modular ranges do not have any induction cartridges
available. Bummer.

Cheers, Wayne