Default Help from anyone who has installed a Back to wall WC

I am about to buy a new bathroom suite.

Requirements:
I quite simply would like the cheapest back to wall WC thats out there.
Ideally I am looking for a wall hung WC, if the price is right. I would
also like one that is able to use a DUAL FLUSH button, not lever.

Questions:
1. Do they all support a dual flush button ? is this feature dependant
on the cistern I use?

2. If I use a wall hung unit, do I really need a bracket costing as
much as the WC pan itself ?

4. So far I have seen ideal standard from plumworld. Any other names or
sites for me to use please ?

BigWallop

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am about to buy a new bathroom suite.

Requirements:
I quite simply would like the cheapest back to wall WC thats out there.
Ideally I am looking for a wall hung WC, if the price is right. I would
also like one that is able to use a DUAL FLUSH button, not lever.

Questions:
1. Do they all support a dual flush button ? is this feature dependant
on the cistern I use?

2. If I use a wall hung unit, do I really need a bracket costing as
much as the WC pan itself ?

4. So far I have seen ideal standard from plumworld. Any other names or
sites for me to use please ?

Have you tried doing a web search for "Wall Hung WC" in the UK? I think
you'll get loads of hits to look through.

Yep sure have.

It's not so much where to get them. Nearly all sites show the WC, and
none seem to explain what cistern is required or where to get it !

argh.........

BigWallop

wrote in message
ups.com...
Yep sure have.

It's not so much where to get them. Nearly all sites show the WC, and
none seem to explain what cistern is required or where to get it !

argh.........

Time to let your fingers do the walking and get the phone book out of the
dark corner. :-)

Antony

BigWallop wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Yep sure have.

It's not so much where to get them. Nearly all sites show the WC, and
none seem to explain what cistern is required or where to get it !

argh.........

Time to let your fingers do the walking and get the phone book out of the
dark corner. :-)

I installed a back-to-wall WC in my bathroom refit (Ideal Standard
Studio) with a Thomas Dudley Vantage push-button concealed cistern.
(see www.thomasdudley.co.uk). My one is a single flush, but they do a
dual-flush version as well. I bought it all from my local Plumb Center.

Note that wall-hung WCs need something very strong to fix to - either a
solid wall (with the cistern on the other side) or a steel frame.
Thomas Dudley do the steel frames (optionally with the cistern
pre-fitted), but they're not cheap. You'll save a lot of hassle by
fitting a back-to-wall instead (the weight is borne by the floor). Try
http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/s..._Supports.html for an
on-line supplier.

-Antony

Christian McArdle

I got a back to wall (not wall hung) from B&Q for a very reasonable price. I
think wall hung ones are majorly expensive. They're quite an engineering
design problem to stop them cracking.

1. Do they all support a dual flush button ? is this feature dependant
on the cistern I use?

That's about the cistern.

2. If I use a wall hung unit, do I really need a bracket costing as
much as the WC pan itself ?

Yep.

4. So far I have seen ideal standard from plumworld. Any other names or
sites for me to use please ?

I got a back to wall (not wall hung) from B&Q for a very reasonable price
(hazy memories, but I think it was 99GBP). I think wall hung ones are
majorly expensive. They're quite an engineering design problem to stop them
cracking.

Christian.

Calvin

I've just installed a wall hung back to wall WC in my downstairs loo.
It's great. Here's what I learned along the way...

If your requirement is for the cheapest then you will end up with a
floor standing one as wall hung are all more expensive. It could be
that they are more expensive to make but I suspect that really it's
because they are considered more "exotic".
Certainly the full cost, including all the fittings, will be higher as
you will almost certainly need a frame/bracket.
In my case the requirement was for quality but obviously I didn't want
to pay more than I needed to.

The frame was the easy part and my local discount plumbing merchant got
me an all singing Geberit frame complete with cistern for about =A3160.
These things are so simple to fit that even a plumber couldn't get it
wrong :-) They bolt to the wall and the floor and stick out about
160mm from the wall (plus whatever decorative facing you use). Future
servicing is all done through the flushplate aperture so you can afford
to build it in completely. The overflow is into the pan so no overflow
pipe to worry about.
It is dual flush and in use it is almost completely silent.
Gerberit publish full details, including fitting instructions on their
website.

The pan itself was more of a problem. All of the UK suppliers I could
find (and I searched long and hard) were taking the p*ss. They wanted
at least twice as much as I could pay by buying it in Germany and for
the particular pan I wanted the best I could do in the UK was 3x the
price. In the end I ordered it from megabad (.com) and even with the
shipping cost I still saved around =A3100 to =A3150. In Germany wall
hung is the norm and I think that shows in the price the suppliers can
get away with charging.

Fitting a wall hung is stressful. Very stressful. The whole thing is
supported on two 13mm studs (blots). These need to be tight enough to
support the heaviest load but you've no way of knowing how tight that
is. On the other hand too tight and the first thing you'll know is a
"tink" as the ceramic pan cracks. Fun.

If you do fit a wall hung make sure you fit a foam gasket between the
pan and the wall. If your wall is ceramic tiles you really need it as
they won't be perfectly flat and any high spots will put a lot of
pressure on those points of the pan which press against them. Even if
your wall is completely true as mine is (Mermaid wallboard) the foam
allows for slight movement between the pan and the wall and stops the
thing creaking as you sit down.

One final note, the new "easy clean" coatings really do seem to work.
Our pan is made by Duravit who use a coating called Wondergliss. I was
sceptical but paid the extra anyway and I'm now a believer. How can I
put this without being indelicate? You don't need a loo brush
anymore...=20

Good luck,
Calvin

Andrew Gabriel

In article .com,
"Calvin" writes:
One final note, the new "easy clean" coatings really do seem to work.
Our pan is made by Duravit who use a coating called Wondergliss. I was
sceptical but paid the extra anyway and I'm now a believer. How can I
put this without being indelicate? You don't need a loo brush

I saw a TV programme about these some ~5 years ago.
They are rather a failure in the UK. The reason being
that it's usually the bloke in the house who chooses
the loo, and blokes mostly think loos are self-cleaning
anyway, as they never seem to have to clean it -- if
they leave it in a mess, it's clean next time they come
to use it ;-)

The japanese on the other hand have been using self
cleaning loo coatings for years (even in urinals).

--
Andrew Gabriel