Posted to alt.home.repair

Default COOKTOP DROPPED IN, OVEN POPPPED IN, AND DISHWASHER SLIPPED IN

Things went well today with one little problem:

I cut the power to the house, wired it up, flipped the breakers on, and
this awful smell came from the oven.

I thought I had done something really wrong but all my other electrical
was fine. So, I cut the power and disconnected the oven. Then, I called
the dealer who told me that the element in the oven has a coating that
burns off and smells so toxic that you think you're going to die.

I said, "It didn't say that in the instructions."

My question is: should the fan be running and the smell be coming out
of the oven before even turning it on?

Have you heard of this? I'm getting my electrian over to check my
wiring (white wire to white wire, black to red, and the ground, pretty
simple). Meantime, I want to know fi the unit is defective. Should I
run the sucker and let it burn and all the dealer if there are
complications?

I don't want to burn my new oven up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MRS. CLEAN" wrote in message

My question is: should the fan be running and the smell be coming out
of the oven before even turning it on?

Have you heard of this?

Nope, never did. Some vent hoods will turn on by a thermostat, but that
does not sound like your situation at all. Check to see that any oven
controls or timers are not in the "on" position though.

I don't want to burn my new oven up.

Perhaps you already did. If it was defective, it is covered under warranty
so don't get upset yet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"MRS. CLEAN" wrote in message

My question is: should the fan be running and the smell be coming out
of the oven before even turning it on?

Have you heard of this?

Nope, never did. Some vent hoods will turn on by a thermostat, but that
does not sound like your situation at all. Check to see that any oven
controls or timers are not in the "on" position though.

I don't want to burn my new oven up.

Perhaps you already did. If it was defective, it is covered under warranty
so don't get upset yet.

I was pretty tired yesterday. I took a nap. Woke up, then read the
Troubleshooting FAQs. It clearly states that a weird smell will come
from your oven for the first few days but putting it through a clean
cycle will shorten the duration.

It also read if it flashes lock or bake, to re-set. If it doesn't
re-set, cut the power, wait a few minutes and turn power back on.
Christopher (my dealer) told me that horrible smell wasn't me burning
up the oven, it's normal. It should tell you about it more
specifically. But, no one would want to buy a oven that smells as if
it's burning up because of a protective coating on the wiring that
dissipates after a few days.

So, I am calling for a technician next week. When s/he arrives, we will
power up and I will get the expert opinion on it. It's covered, like
you said, but I don't want to go from Mrs. Clean to Mrs. Bumble.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have sold office machines that stank when new and first used.

It got to the point I would unpack and run the unit here for 12 hours
with a garage door open to disapate the odor, and even then customers
still complained

people are so sensitive today to odors and what they believe are
hazards.....