Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ground wire question

My old home (50's) has, for the main part, no ground wires running to the
outlets. The wiring is romex, but, only a hot and a neutral except where I
have added additional outlets.
The previous owner has placed three hole (grounded) outlets on many of the
two wire circuits. I know that is not to code and should be converted back
to groundless plugs.

Question: Can I simply run separate ground wires to these outlets. Almost
all of the wiring reaches these outlets via the attic crawl space. Do I
need to make 'home runs' to each outlet or can I install splice boxes in the
attic and do radial runs from therein?

All advice or criticisms appreciated.

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2007-08-14, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Question: Can I simply run separate ground wires to these outlets.

Yes, as per NEC 250.134(B) exception #1. You can access the 2005 NEC
online through a java applet via:
http://www.nfpa.org/freecodes/free_access_agreement.asp?id=7005SB

Do I need to make 'home runs' to each outlet or can I install splice
boxes in the attic and do radial runs from therein?

Home runs are not required. For a retrofit application like this, you
could daisy chain all the equipment grounding conductors (EGC) in a
single run.

Cheers, Wayne
Posted to alt.home.repair
sym sym is offline

On Aug 14, 2:24 pm, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:
My old home (50's) has, for the main part, no ground wires running to the
outlets. The wiring is romex, but, only a hot and a neutral except where I
have added additional outlets.
The previous owner has placed three hole (grounded) outlets on many of the
two wire circuits. I know that is not to code and should be converted back
to groundless plugs.

Question: Can I simply run separate ground wires to these outlets. Almost
all of the wiring reaches these outlets via the attic crawl space. Do I
need to make 'home runs' to each outlet or can I install splice boxes in the
attic and do radial runs from therein?

All advice or criticisms appreciated.

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary

id do only the ones needed, most things dont have a ground prong
anyways, computer, fridge strove, washer thats probably about it. most
of those have a metal shell is why they are grounded.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SRN SRN is offline

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
My old home (50's) has, for the main part, no ground wires running to the
outlets. The wiring is romex, but, only a hot and a neutral except where
I have added additional outlets.
The previous owner has placed three hole (grounded) outlets on many of the
two wire circuits. I know that is not to code and should be converted
back to groundless plugs.

Question: Can I simply run separate ground wires to these outlets.
Almost all of the wiring reaches these outlets via the attic crawl space.
Do I need to make 'home runs' to each outlet or can I install splice boxes
in the attic and do radial runs from therein?

All advice or criticisms appreciated.

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary

See NEC 2005 250.130C & 250.130C
http://www.nfpa.org/freecodes/free_a....asp?id=7005SB

Posted to alt.home.repair
SRN SRN is offline

"SRN" wrote in message See NEC 2005 250.130C &
250.130C
http://www.nfpa.org/freecodes/free_a....asp?id=7005SB

OOPS, should have said see NEC 2005 250.130C and 406.3D(3)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 18:44:13 GMT, Wayne Whitney
wrote:

I have the same problems with a 50's house. Can you give more detail
how to retrofit daisy chain and especially where to buy the grounding
conductors (ESG).

Thanks