Posted to alt.home.repair

Default sump pump backup

Well I think I'm going to put in a backup sump pump for my basement.
We currently have a two year old Zoeler electric pump that does not
need to run too often, only for 3-4 storms a year (as it takes 3 or
more inches of rain in a day to even have water start to enter the
sump). Once the pump starts having to run it pumps 20 seconds every
3-5 minutes, but once the rain stops my sump pump stops having to run
after only a few hours (so I think my neighborhood has slow ground
water drainage, maybe we're on ledge or something). I've weighed my
options and come up with two solutions/technologies:

1.) Water-powered sump pump (http://www.basepump.com). Has anyone
used/heard good or bad things about this product? Would you
recommended another brand? I checked with my local water department
and they said in the event of total power loss in my area (say in a
hurricane), I have two 3 million gallon water towers servicing my part
of town (he said we'd have AT LEAST several days or more or normal
water pressure). I prefer this method as it don't have to worry about
batteries dying, needing maint. etc. Once my pump does start to run it
runs fairly often, about 20 seconds every few minutes, so I don't
think batteries would last too long (7-12 hours tops).

2.) Battery backup sump pump. Watchdog seems the popular one here.
If I hear bad things on the water powered pumps I would go this
route. Installation would be easier (no water service tie in).
However run time concerns me. If my pump runs 20 seconds every feew
minutes I think that's on the 7 hour time frame for battery life.

I come to this group looking what my best option is. Once you factor
in batteries both solutions cost nearly the same. Thanks!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 14, 11:39 am, grodenhiATgmailDOTcom wrote:
[...]

First step I'd take: DAGS (do a google search) on "sump pump backup"
and then work on filtering the 247k hits with additional search terms.

Much has been written on this, and even a segment on "Ask This Old
House" on water-powered pump. Why not tap into that first?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 14, 11:43 am, wrote:
[...]

I've Google'd around quite a bit and know the pro's and con's of
each. I guess I was looking for a experiences good or bad people have
had with Basepump or Basement Watchdog (especially Basepump). I'm a
little put off that you have to order Basepump direct (why don't any
of the big box stores carry them?).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 00:23:42 -0000, grodenhiATgmailDOTcom
wrote:

snip

I've Google'd around quite a bit and know the pro's and con's of
each. I guess I was looking for a experiences good or bad people have
had with Basepump or Basement Watchdog (especially Basepump). I'm a
little put off that you have to order Basepump direct (why don't any
of the big box stores carry them?).

I've had the big basement watchdog for about a year, and it's saved me
a couple of times already. I have a dead flat lot with no way to run
the drain tile to daylight and no storm sewers, so I have an outside
sump pump that runs to a dry well. If the power quits during a heavy
rain, I will get water in the basement without the backup. Also have
a generator for long outages.

That said, I have well water, so water powered is not an option. If I
had reliable city water, I'd probably go with the water driven pump.

FWIW, with 30% duty cycle, you should get 24 hours backup on the BWD
with a good battery, and you can gang two batteries for even longer
capacity if you want. Figure on replacing the battery(ies) every 4-5
years.

HTH,

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

I've Google'd around quite a bit and know the pro's and con's of
each. I guess I was looking for a experiences good or bad people have
had with Basepump or Basement Watchdog (especially Basepump). I'm a

For that, you want to use groups.google.com advanced search, and maybe
specify this group.

All in all, I think the Basepump would be best for me. I live in
Baltimore and the odds of a water failure or a power failure at the
water company at the same time there is a power failure at my house
seem very slim.

I have been trying to figure out how to make installation as simple as
possible, but I don't think I'll figure it out totally until I order
the thing and have it. Like will it fit perpendicular to the floor
joists, how hard will it be to run the pipe down to the sump; will I
find that pipe to be an obstruction (My basement is stuffed, and I
have a shelf two feet below the 'ceiling' there.)

But the basement watchdog uses a much bigger pipe and getting that to
fit in the same sump cover would be a problem of its own. The copper
pipe for the baseppump will fit in the corner right next to the
current plastic pipe for my AC sump pump.

I want a backup 1) for power failures, and 2) once in 28 years, the
water was coming in so fast my regular sump pump couldnt handle it.
(Of course maybe I should take that pump out and put in a bigger one.
That would solve 2 but not 1. I keep thinking of this and then
forgetting it a few minutes later.)

little put off that you have to order Basepump direct (why don't any
of the big box stores carry them?).

I don't konw but it doesn't bother me for some reason. I guess I
think they think they have a limited market, and stores don't want to
stock it for an occasional sale. So does that mean they weren't in
business before the Web? I forget how long they've been in business.