Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin Paul Franklin is offline

Default sump pump backup

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 00:23:42 -0000, grodenhiATgmailDOTcom
wrote:

snip

I've Google'd around quite a bit and know the pro's and con's of
each. I guess I was looking for a experiences good or bad people have
had with Basepump or Basement Watchdog (especially Basepump). I'm a
little put off that you have to order Basepump direct (why don't any
of the big box stores carry them?).

I've had the big basement watchdog for about a year, and it's saved me
a couple of times already. I have a dead flat lot with no way to run
the drain tile to daylight and no storm sewers, so I have an outside
sump pump that runs to a dry well. If the power quits during a heavy
rain, I will get water in the basement without the backup. Also have
a generator for long outages.

That said, I have well water, so water powered is not an option. If I
had reliable city water, I'd probably go with the water driven pump.

FWIW, with 30% duty cycle, you should get 24 hours backup on the BWD
with a good battery, and you can gang two batteries for even longer
capacity if you want. Figure on replacing the battery(ies) every 4-5
years.

HTH,

Paul