Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default sump pump backup

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 00:23:42 -0000, grodenhiATgmailDOTcom
wrote:

I've Google'd around quite a bit and know the pro's and con's of
each. I guess I was looking for a experiences good or bad people have
had with Basepump or Basement Watchdog (especially Basepump). I'm a

For that, you want to use groups.google.com advanced search, and maybe
specify this group.

All in all, I think the Basepump would be best for me. I live in
Baltimore and the odds of a water failure or a power failure at the
water company at the same time there is a power failure at my house
seem very slim.

I have been trying to figure out how to make installation as simple as
possible, but I don't think I'll figure it out totally until I order
the thing and have it. Like will it fit perpendicular to the floor
joists, how hard will it be to run the pipe down to the sump; will I
find that pipe to be an obstruction (My basement is stuffed, and I
have a shelf two feet below the 'ceiling' there.)

But the basement watchdog uses a much bigger pipe and getting that to
fit in the same sump cover would be a problem of its own. The copper
pipe for the baseppump will fit in the corner right next to the
current plastic pipe for my AC sump pump.

I want a backup 1) for power failures, and 2) once in 28 years, the
water was coming in so fast my regular sump pump couldnt handle it.
(Of course maybe I should take that pump out and put in a bigger one.
That would solve 2 but not 1. I keep thinking of this and then
forgetting it a few minutes later.)

little put off that you have to order Basepump direct (why don't any
of the big box stores carry them?).

I don't konw but it doesn't bother me for some reason. I guess I
think they think they have a limited market, and stores don't want to
stock it for an occasional sale. So does that mean they weren't in
business before the Web? I forget how long they've been in business.