Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Grinding adhesive off of concrete?

I've got a level area of concrete that had carpet glued to it. We stripped
the old carpet off. But what was left was a thick layer of adhesive that is
1/4" thick in some spots. We had a 5000 PSI pressure washer in here to do
some other work, and we tried to blow the adhesive off with that, but it was
a no-go.

It's there a tool for removing adhesive off of concrete that I could attach
to my angle head grinder? Or has anyone got another idea as to how to remove
this adhesive?

Thanks in advance.

Lesley

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 13:46:29 -0700, "Lesley"
wrote:

I've got a level area of concrete that had carpet glued to it. We stripped
the old carpet off. But what was left was a thick layer of adhesive that is
1/4" thick in some spots. We had a 5000 PSI pressure washer in here to do
some other work, and we tried to blow the adhesive off with that, but it was
a no-go.

What do your walls look like now?

--
Oren

Hofstadter's Law - It [a task] always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've got a level area of concrete that had carpet glued to it. We stripped
the old carpet off. But what was left was a thick layer of adhesive that
is
1/4" thick in some spots. We had a 5000 PSI pressure washer in here to do
some other work, and we tried to blow the adhesive off with that, but it
was
a no-go.

What do your walls look like now?

Walls? The walls are fine, white and clean after being painted. It's the
concrete floor that now needs the work to remove the adhesive.

Lesley

It's there a tool for removing adhesive off of concrete that I could
attach
to my angle head grinder? Or has anyone got another idea as to how to
remove
this adhesive?

Thanks in advance.

Lesley

--
Oren

Hofstadter's Law - It [a task] always takes longer than you expect, even
when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 14:23:26 -0700, "Lesley"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I've got a level area of concrete that had carpet glued to it. We stripped
the old carpet off. But what was left was a thick layer of adhesive that
is
1/4" thick in some spots. We had a 5000 PSI pressure washer in here to do
some other work, and we tried to blow the adhesive off with that, but it
was
a no-go.

What do your walls look like now?

Walls? The walls are fine, white and clean after being painted. It's the
concrete floor that now needs the work to remove the adhesive.

Excuse me. It sounded like you brought 5000 PSI sprayer in the living
room and then used it....so I asked.

Many scrapers are available to painters, tile and flooring guys. Get a
sturdy-stand up variety and buy a pack or two of blades to fit.

Lesley

It's there a tool for removing adhesive off of concrete that I could
attach
to my angle head grinder? Or has anyone got another idea as to how to
remove
this adhesive?

Thanks in advance.

Lesley

--
Oren

Hofstadter's Law - It [a task] always takes longer than you expect, even
when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

--
Oren

Hofstadter's Law - It [a task] always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've got a level area of concrete that had carpet glued to it. We stripped
the old carpet off. But what was left was a thick layer of adhesive that is
1/4" thick in some spots. We had a 5000 PSI pressure washer in here to do
some other work, and we tried to blow the adhesive off with that, but it was
a no-go.

It's there a tool for removing adhesive off of concrete that I could attach
to my angle head grinder? Or has anyone got another idea as to how to remove
this adhesive?

Thanks in advance.

Lesley

Rent a flooring stripper with a concrete blade. It's pretty much a
walk behind motorized scraper. The blade is only about 6" wide, so it
will take a while, but it's not hard work. The motor does all the
work.

Here's an example:

http://www.constructioncomplete.com/...Strippers.html

They show it removing tile, but it will remove the adhesive too.

HTH,

Paul F.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 14:23:26 -0700, "Lesley"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

I should had mentioned the surface is outdoors so I can make all the mess I
want. It's a small area 8ft x 16ft. I may try just using scrapers and some
heat.

Thanks.

Lesley.

Lesley

It's there a tool for removing adhesive off of concrete that I could
attach
to my angle head grinder? Or has anyone got another idea as to how to
remove
this adhesive?

Thanks in advance.

Lesley

--
Oren

Hofstadter's Law - It [a task] always takes longer than you expect, even
when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

--
Oren

Hofstadter's Law - It [a task] always takes longer than you expect, even
when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It did help. And thanks.

I also found a wheel for my grinder that is about $160.00 and made for this
type of work. I cannot spent that much on this job (budget). I'll look into
the machine you posted.

First I will try heat and a sturdy scraper and some patients and maybe this
will work.

Lesley

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 20:08:45 -0400, Paul Franklin
wrote:

Rent a flooring stripper with a concrete blade. It's pretty much a
walk behind motorized scraper. The blade is only about 6" wide, so it
will take a while, but it's not hard work. The motor does all the
work.

Elbow grease is cheap; for now, anyway.

Ask yourself the type adhesive to OP is removing? I have not a single
clue - using Norton ClueFinder 2007.

--
Oren

"I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Rent a flooring stripper with a concrete blade. It's pretty much a
walk behind motorized scraper. The blade is only about 6" wide, so it
will take a while, but it's not hard work. The motor does all the
work.

Elbow grease is cheap; for now, anyway.

Ask yourself the type adhesive to OP is removing? I have not a single
clue - using Norton ClueFinder 2007.

That's a good question. And I don't know. Like I said, I tried a 5000 PSI
with a turbo head on the the wand and it would not even budge it. But it is
an adhesive. It looks yellowish in colour. But I don't think it's contact
cement.

Lesley

--
Oren

"I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lesley wrote:
I've got a level area of concrete that had carpet glued to it. We
stripped the old carpet off. But what was left was a thick layer of
adhesive that is 1/4" thick in some spots. We had a 5000 PSI pressure
washer in here to do some other work, and we tried to blow the
adhesive off with that, but it was a no-go.

It's there a tool for removing adhesive off of concrete that I could
attach to my angle head grinder? Or has anyone got another idea as to
how to remove this adhesive?

I don't think grinding is going to work very well. I once saw a chap try
grinding off the paint on a parking lot so it could be re-striped in a
different orientation. Utter failure. After MANY hours.

See, the paint (in his case) or glue gets below the texture of the concrete.
To get all the clue off, you'll have to get the concrete down to a mirror
finish!

I'd scrape as much as possible. If that wasn't enough, look at a chemical
solution.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 17:37:56 -0700, "Lesley"
wrote:

Ask yourself the type adhesive to OP is removing? I have not a single
clue - using Norton ClueFinder 2007.

That's a good question. And I don't know. Like I said, I tried a 5000 PSI
with a turbo head on the the wand and it would not even budge it. But it is
an adhesive. It looks yellowish in colour. But I don't think it's contact
cement.

The color makes me think it would be easy to work with. I mean this is
not a tar substance, by color.

Start with a light solvent... not an expert in this regard.

Post a picture on a web site..for all to see.

--
Oren

"I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Weed burner?

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
..

:
: It's there a tool for removing adhesive off of concrete that I
could attach
: to my angle head grinder? Or has anyone got another idea as to
how to remove
: this adhesive?
:
: Thanks in advance.
:
: Lesley
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

They just had an update, might want to check for downloads.

Love your tag line. Really good.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Oren" wrote in message
: Ask yourself the type adhesive to OP is removing? I have not a
single
: clue - using Norton ClueFinder 2007.
:
: --
: Oren
:
: "I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."

Posted to alt.home.repair

USe a flame spreader on a propane torch to heat the glue (assuming its
mastic) and scrape it off while its soft. Then use the high pressure washer
to remove the remainder. It wont look pretty.

"Lesley" wrote in message
I've got a level area of concrete that had carpet glued to it. We stripped
the old carpet off. But what was left was a thick layer of adhesive that
is 1/4" thick in some spots. We had a 5000 PSI pressure washer in here to
do some other work, and we tried to blow the adhesive off with that, but
it was a no-go.

It's there a tool for removing adhesive off of concrete that I could
attach to my angle head grinder? Or has anyone got another idea as to how
to remove this adhesive?

Thanks in advance.

Lesley

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jmagerl" wrote in message
USe a flame spreader on a propane torch to heat the glue (assuming its
mastic) and scrape it off while its soft. Then use the high pressure
washer to remove the remainder. It wont look pretty.

I'm going to use a propane torch tomorrow. And a sharp scraper (I have 2 of
them). When I get it scraped off flat, then I have some very abrasive 4"
sanding discs I will put on my grinder. I think the discs are the coarsest
you can buy. I'm sure I can get it down flat, level and smooth without too
much fuss. I just want to paint it later.

I'll let you all know how I made out tomorrow.

Thanks.

Lesley

"Lesley" wrote in message
I've got a level area of concrete that had carpet glued to it. We
stripped the old carpet off. But what was left was a thick layer of
adhesive that is 1/4" thick in some spots. We had a 5000 PSI pressure
washer in here to do some other work, and we tried to blow the adhesive
off with that, but it was a no-go.

It's there a tool for removing adhesive off of concrete that I could
attach to my angle head grinder? Or has anyone got another idea as to how
to remove this adhesive?

Thanks in advance.

Lesley

Posted to alt.home.repair

JASCO makes an adhesive remover. It's like their paint stripper... works
pretty well but be sure to pkrotect your skin cause it will burn the skin
like crazy.

--
Kate
______

Jimmy Hoffa

"Lesley" wrote in message
I've got a level area of concrete that had carpet glued to it. We stripped
the old carpet off. But what was left was a thick layer of adhesive that is
1/4" thick in some spots. We had a 5000 PSI pressure washer in here to do
some other work, and we tried to blow the adhesive off with that, but it was
a no-go.

It's there a tool for removing adhesive off of concrete that I could attach
to my angle head grinder? Or has anyone got another idea as to how to remove
this adhesive?

Thanks in advance.

Lesley

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
JASCO makes an adhesive remover. It's like their paint stripper... works
pretty well but be sure to pkrotect your skin cause it will burn the skin
like crazy.

Thanks, Kate.

I tried heat and a scraper. That worked. But concrete being porous I could
not get the glue from the small holes in the surface of the concrete. I
think what I will have to do a buy a diamond concrete grinding wheel for my
grinder and create a brand-new surface on the concrete. That way when I
paint, I should not see too many imperfections. I've done concrete grinding
before. It's nasty, but it works.

Lesley

--
Kate