Posted to alt.home.repair

Default removing paint on gas meter

The previous owner of my house painted the gas meter the same color as the
house and used the same paint. I'd like to remove that paint and
potentially paint the meter and pipes red so that I can see it when backing
into my sideyard where the meter sits. Currently it isn't easy to see as it
blends in with the house and grass.

Is there a good reason NOT to use paint thinner, mineral spirits, scrapers,
and heat guns around your gas supply lines? I can only surmise that
detonating the meter set will probably send me on a one way trip to the
stars. Using strong solvents around the pipe joints might not be good for
their health either.

So if that isn't a good idea, how would you remove the paint? Second
question is after you get rid of the paint, would you recommend painting it
again - or just leave it grey primer as it probably came?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:

The previous owner of my house painted the gas meter the same color as the
house and used the same paint. I'd like to remove that paint and
potentially paint the meter and pipes red so that I can see it when backing
into my sideyard where the meter sits. Currently it isn't easy to see as it
blends in with the house and grass.

Is there a good reason NOT to use paint thinner, mineral spirits, scrapers,
and heat guns around your gas supply lines? I can only surmise that
detonating the meter set will probably send me on a one way trip to the
stars. Using strong solvents around the pipe joints might not be good for
their health either.

So if that isn't a good idea, how would you remove the paint? Second
question is after you get rid of the paint, would you recommend painting it
again - or just leave it grey primer as it probably came?

If the gas meter is in a location where you regularly risk backing into
it, forget repainting it and instead install a couple protective
bollards painted in a visible color and planted in a little cement. In
at least some areas they are required (same for transformers).
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Just paint over the old colour, don't waste your time and risk any damage to
the meter by trying to take the old paint off. The gray colour is not
primer, it is the standard colour that gas meters are painted as a finish
coat.

If you paint, take care to not damage the seals that are applied to the
meter, and mask off the gas companies label plate and the dial windows.

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
The previous owner of my house painted the gas meter the same color as the
house and used the same paint. I'd like to remove that paint and
potentially paint the meter and pipes red so that I can see it when
backing into my sideyard where the meter sits. Currently it isn't easy to
see as it blends in with the house and grass.

Is there a good reason NOT to use paint thinner, mineral spirits,
scrapers, and heat guns around your gas supply lines? I can only surmise
that detonating the meter set will probably send me on a one way trip to
the stars. Using strong solvents around the pipe joints might not be good
for their health either.

So if that isn't a good idea, how would you remove the paint? Second
question is after you get rid of the paint, would you recommend painting
it again - or just leave it grey primer as it probably came?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:

[...]

Ehh, maybe that's the best thing to do after all. A bag of concrete or two,
plastic pipe + cap and not mess with the meter at all. I guess I need to
call the gas company and have them locate the pipes before I dig, it would
be ironic if I punctured the gas lines trying to dig a hole to install a
protective post for the meter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Telstra" wrote in message
[...]

It ain't primer. It is weather-resistant paint (probably very much like Navy
uses onboard ships), and the utility may take a dim view of painting over
it. I'd just lightly wirebrush the pipes and paint with rustoleum or
similar, but call the gas company and ask about the meter. Unless previous
owner sanded the meter, pressure wash would likely clean off the added
paint. Gas company may change the meter for you for free. Now as to the
parking- if you are using the space as occasional driveway, I'd add some
posts to protect it. Nothing solid enough to kill your car, but something
you will feel before you shear off the meter.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 18:49:31 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

The previous owner of my house painted the gas meter the same color as the
house and used the same paint. I'd like to remove that paint and
potentially paint the meter and pipes red so that I can see it when backing
into my sideyard where the meter sits. Currently it isn't easy to see as it
blends in with the house and grass.

Maybe use reflective tape, in red, that will help you at night also.

I painted my ac and electric meter to match my house and it looks real
nice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Priceless!

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

:
it would
: be ironic if I punctured the gas lines trying to dig a hole to
install a
: protective post for the meter.
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
The previous owner of my house painted the gas meter the same color
as the house and used the same paint. I'd like to remove that paint
and potentially paint the meter and pipes red so that I can see it
when backing into my sideyard where the meter sits. Currently it
isn't easy to see as it blends in with the house and grass.

Is there a good reason NOT to use paint thinner, mineral spirits,
scrapers, and heat guns around your gas supply lines? I can only
surmise that detonating the meter set will probably send me on a one
way trip to the stars. Using strong solvents around the pipe joints
might not be good for their health either.

So if that isn't a good idea, how would you remove the paint? Second
question is after you get rid of the paint, would you recommend
painting it again - or just leave it grey primer as it probably came?

Around here the gas company takes a dim view of anyone painting their
equipment. I would suggest limiting your efforts to the good suggestion of
using reflective tape.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:

Ehh, maybe that's the best thing to do after all. A bag of concrete or two,
plastic pipe + cap and not mess with the meter at all.

I highly suggest metal pipe if you are trying to protect something.
Plastic pipe would simply snap off and let you continue backing into the
gas meter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:

Ehh, maybe that's the best thing to do after all. A bag of concrete
or two, plastic pipe + cap and not mess with the meter at all. I
guess I need to call the gas company and have them locate the pipes
before I dig, it would be ironic if I punctured the gas lines trying
to dig a hole to install a protective post for the meter.

Plastic pipe might work, but only if you filled it with concrete first.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:

Ehh, maybe that's the best thing to do after all. A bag of concrete
or two, plastic pipe + cap and not mess with the meter at all. I
guess I need to call the gas company and have them locate the pipes
before I dig, it would be ironic if I punctured the gas lines trying
to dig a hole to install a protective post for the meter.

Plastic pipe might work, but only if you filled it with concrete first.

Yeah that was my intention. I was thinking plastic because I wasn't sure
I'd find 2" or larger metal pipe - unless electrical conduit stuff or vent
pipe - either way it'd still be filled with concrete.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Around here the gas company takes a dim view of anyone painting their
equipment. I would suggest limiting your efforts to the good suggestion of
using reflective tape.

--
Joseph Meehan

Oddly, around here they take a dim view if you *don't* paint their (I
suppose "our") equipment. My neighbor and I both received a letter
from the gas company several months back asking (telling) us to spruce
up the meter and pipes which were slightly rusty. A quick going over
with a wire brush and some fresh paint, and no more letters. The
neighbor claims that after two letters, the utility will slap a fine
on you - don't know if that's true or not, but there you go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Squirrel" wrote in message
oups.com...
Around here the gas company takes a dim view of anyone painting their
equipment. I would suggest limiting your efforts to the good suggestion
of
using reflective tape.

--
Joseph Meehan

Oddly, around here they take a dim view if you *don't* paint their (I
suppose "our") equipment. My neighbor and I both received a letter
from the gas company several months back asking (telling) us to spruce
up the meter and pipes which were slightly rusty. A quick going over
with a wire brush and some fresh paint, and no more letters. The
neighbor claims that after two letters, the utility will slap a fine
on you - don't know if that's true or not, but there you go.

Not sure what part of the world you're in but I agree that the gas company
would rather you call them instead of painting or scraping. In fact, they
may even replace the meter or pant the meter for no charge. If there is
indeed a danger of it being hit they may even put up a barrier for you, or
perhaps relocate the meter. But relocating the meter might cost you. I'd
start with a call to the gas company first if it was attached to my house.