Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default removing paint on gas meter

The previous owner of my house painted the gas meter the same color as the
house and used the same paint. I'd like to remove that paint and
potentially paint the meter and pipes red so that I can see it when backing
into my sideyard where the meter sits. Currently it isn't easy to see as it
blends in with the house and grass.

Is there a good reason NOT to use paint thinner, mineral spirits, scrapers,
and heat guns around your gas supply lines? I can only surmise that
detonating the meter set will probably send me on a one way trip to the
stars. Using strong solvents around the pipe joints might not be good for
their health either.

So if that isn't a good idea, how would you remove the paint? Second
question is after you get rid of the paint, would you recommend painting it
again - or just leave it grey primer as it probably came?