Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default removing paint on gas meter

Eigenvector wrote:
The previous owner of my house painted the gas meter the same color
as the house and used the same paint. I'd like to remove that paint
and potentially paint the meter and pipes red so that I can see it
when backing into my sideyard where the meter sits. Currently it
isn't easy to see as it blends in with the house and grass.

Is there a good reason NOT to use paint thinner, mineral spirits,
scrapers, and heat guns around your gas supply lines? I can only
surmise that detonating the meter set will probably send me on a one
way trip to the stars. Using strong solvents around the pipe joints
might not be good for their health either.

So if that isn't a good idea, how would you remove the paint? Second
question is after you get rid of the paint, would you recommend
painting it again - or just leave it grey primer as it probably came?

Around here the gas company takes a dim view of anyone painting their
equipment. I would suggest limiting your efforts to the good suggestion of
using reflective tape.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit