Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I get a timer motor?

My older Maytag washing machine suddenly stopped advancing the timer.
I checked and that small timer motor no longer works, and it is
getting power. They dont sell these motors separately, and for what
they want to replace the whole timer, I may as well get a new washer.
I forced the gears and the motor is not locked up. I suppose the
coils inside just fried. Is there anyplace that sells these small
motors? The rest of the timer always worked fine. In the meantime I
will try to find a junked machine. I know they all have these small
motors, but if they are interchangable is the question.

I wonder if motor rebuilders rebuild these tiny motors? We have one
nearby, but I have a feeling they just say to replace them.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Griffin,

Look in the phonebook for electric motor. A city of any size should have
a bunch of electric motor stores. These places can order lots of motors.
They also repair larger motors. They can repair your motor but that will be
really expensive so just ask for a replacement. Expect to be shocked by the
price but it will be cheaper than a new washer.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Greg,

From what i remember when I worked for the company (Paragon) that made

the motors used in appliance timers, they come in different speeds.
You will need to match the speed (i.e. time required for one
revolution) and torque of your existing motor.

On Jul 28, 5:59 pm, wrote:
My older Maytag washing machine suddenly stopped advancing the timer.
I checked and that small timer motor no longer works, and it is
getting power. They dont sell these motors separately, and for what
they want to replace the whole timer, I may as well get a new washer.
I forced the gears and the motor is not locked up. I suppose the
coils inside just fried. Is there anyplace that sells these small
motors? The rest of the timer always worked fine. In the meantime I
will try to find a junked machine. I know they all have these small
motors, but if they are interchangable is the question.

I wonder if motor rebuilders rebuild these tiny motors? We have one
nearby, but I have a feeling they just say to replace them.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Did you check with an ohm meter, to see if the circuit is open?

The timer on my very old Whirlpool would jam at certain spots in
the cycle. Same deal, $75 for another timer. My usual parts house
didn't even have them. An Ebay seller had them. I took the timer
apart, cleaned it with brake cleaner, reoiled it, and it's worked
since then. That was at least two years ago.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

:
: I wonder if motor rebuilders rebuild these tiny motors? We
have one
: nearby, but I have a feeling they just say to replace them.
:
: Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
My older Maytag washing machine suddenly stopped advancing the timer.
I checked and that small timer motor no longer works, and it is
getting power. They dont sell these motors separately, and for what
they want to replace the whole timer, I may as well get a new washer.
I forced the gears and the motor is not locked up. I suppose the
coils inside just fried. Is there anyplace that sells these small
motors? The rest of the timer always worked fine. In the meantime I
will try to find a junked machine. I know they all have these small
motors, but if they are interchangable is the question.

I wonder if motor rebuilders rebuild these tiny motors? We have one
nearby, but I have a feeling they just say to replace them.

Greg

It might be an AW Hayden (clock) motor (many companies made
motors that will fit the same mounting holes)

should be marked with ratings like 115VAC 60Hz (few)watts
what you need to find is one with the same RPM or RPH and CW
or CCW.

Some models, you can unfold the tabs at the gear train, and
swap the coil/rotor assembly. The basic motor runs at the
same speed on all of them, shaft speed and direction is
determined by the gears in the offset box under the
coil/rotor. The rotor/coil/cage are spot welded on most
I've seen, making a swap or rewind difficult.

Try recyclers for one in a junked appliance. they are very
hard to find these days since everything is now
microproccesor based. My folks had a dryer timer that went
bad, best I could do was a motor that was 2/3 the speed. A
little tape to "rescale" the marking at the knob worked
fine, but a year later the dryer drum shaft broke loose.
After 34 years, it was just time for a new one ;-)

-larry / dallas
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 16:59:46 -0500, wrote:

My older Maytag washing machine suddenly stopped advancing the timer.
I checked and that small timer motor no longer works, and it is
getting power. They dont sell these motors separately, and for what
they want to replace the whole timer, I may as well get a new washer.
I forced the gears and the motor is not locked up. I suppose the
coils inside just fried. Is there anyplace that sells these small
motors? The rest of the timer always worked fine. In the meantime I
will try to find a junked machine. I know they all have these small
motors, but if they are interchangable is the question.

Well, you might look at the recycling places where they take
appliances. They don't generally want people stripping them, but if
you find one when it is quiet, and you promise not to make a mess and
tip the guy who is watching, maybe. Does it work to bring a pretty
girl, or is that only in the movies? I don't if all states hve
these. I also wish I knew where they took them.

I saw a stove just like mine on the street and took the knobs and the
oven handle and maybe some other stuff, but I was in a hurry to get to
work and didn't take the oven/broiler switch. But at least hwne I
needed one, the appliance store had one for 40 dollars.