Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sharpened Chain cuts just fine!

A few weeks ago I posted a question about my cheap chainsaw not cutting.
Several of you said the problem was largely a dull chain.
I had it sharpened, and while a larger bar would be nice, it cuts pretty
good.

I also made a stand to keep the wood being cut out of the dirt; maybe it
will stay sharp a while.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toller" wrote in message
A few weeks ago I posted a question about my cheap chainsaw not cutting.
Several of you said the problem was largely a dull chain.
I had it sharpened, and while a larger bar would be nice, it cuts pretty
good.

I also made a stand to keep the wood being cut out of the dirt; maybe it
will stay sharp a while.

Keeping it out of the dirt will definitely help! Also, the type and
condition of the wood will affect the chain as well.
I find wet wood wears out a chain faster than dry wood. That being said,
anytime I use the chainsaw, I sharpen the chain and if I'm
running it for more than a few hours, I sharpen during a lunch break as
well. Takes only minutes to sharpen and sure makes a difference. It's a
good skill
to learn and easy as well.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 26, 6:51 pm, "Toller" wrote:
A few weeks ago I posted a question about my cheap chainsaw not cutting.
Several of you said the problem was largely a dull chain.
I had it sharpened, and while a larger bar would be nice, it cuts pretty
good.

I also made a stand to keep the wood being cut out of the dirt; maybe it
will stay sharp a while.

Biggest mistake beginners make is trying to sharpen with worn out
files.
Buy a file the proper size and you get maybe a half dozen sharpenings
from it and it's done.
Make sure to take a stroke or two each time you fuel or oil.
Keeping sharp is easier than getting a beat to death chain back in
condition.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 26, 10:23?pm, beecrofter wrote:
On Jul 26, 6:51 pm, "Toller" wrote:

A few weeks ago I posted a question about my cheap chainsaw not cutting.
Several of you said the problem was largely a dull chain.
I had it sharpened, and while a larger bar would be nice, it cuts pretty
good.

I also made a stand to keep the wood being cut out of the dirt; maybe it
will stay sharp a while.

Biggest mistake beginners make is trying to sharpen with worn out
files.
Buy a file the proper size and you get maybe a half dozen sharpenings
from it and it's done.
Make sure to take a stroke or two each time you fuel or oil.
Keeping sharp is easier than getting a beat to death chain back in
condition.

i prefer electric saws for most jobs. have 4 saws currently. when one
gets dull, or saw dropped, or chain comes lose i switch saws and fix
things later.

dont want to be mucking about in middle of job fixing saw.