Posted to rec.woodworking
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net

Default How does one make fine cuts on small pieces?

I'd like to make a chessboard. It should be easy enough. Take 32
squares of one color, 32 of another, glue them together and frame it.

But .. HOW do I make the super-clean cuts needed for a piece that small?

For example, say the squares were as small as 1" on a side. How does
one make so clean a cut?

Also ... what if I were making the board in an elongated fashion, so
that the squares were slanted a bit instead. Now, there would be even
less tolerance for the cut.

HELP!

Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:
I'd like to make a chessboard. It should be easy enough. Take 32
squares of one color, 32 of another, glue them together and frame it.

But .. HOW do I make the super-clean cuts needed for a piece that small?

For example, say the squares were as small as 1" on a side. How does
one make so clean a cut?

Also ... what if I were making the board in an elongated fashion, so
that the squares were slanted a bit instead. Now, there would be even
less tolerance for the cut.

You're not making short cuts, or shouldn't be. Rip the contrasting
wood strips to the correct width, glue them together, rip the composite
board into the same width strips, then flip alternate row pieces end
for end and glue them up.

Posted to rec.woodworking
brian c

you dont cut individual squares, you rip a piece say 1 inch wide by about 10
inches long of your two contrasting woods then you glue up your strips in
alternating colours dark light etc. then you crosscut the assembled wood.
stagger the strips by 1 inch and glue up again, I hope this is clear,
Brian

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote
in message . ..
I'd like to make a chessboard. It should be easy enough. Take 32 squares
of one color, 32 of another, glue them together and frame it.

But .. HOW do I make the super-clean cuts needed for a piece that small?

For example, say the squares were as small as 1" on a side. How does one
make so clean a cut?

Also ... what if I were making the board in an elongated fashion, so that
the squares were slanted a bit instead. Now, there would be even less
tolerance for the cut.

HELP!

Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:

I'd like to make a chessboard. It should be easy enough. Take 32
squares of one color, 32 of another, glue them together and frame it.

But .. HOW do I make the super-clean cuts needed for a piece that

small?

Made one a long time ago as follows:

Rip strips of each color as req'd, say 2" wide, then glue alternate
colors together.

When dry, cross cut this ass'y to form strips of alternate color
squares that are 2" wide and at least one block longer than necessary.

Glue these strips to a piece of 1/4 plywood with alternate colors
aligned to form chess board.

Trim assembled board to size, then trim with desired material as req'd
use as part of a table top.

If you make it as a table top, head to the drum sander shop to get a
level surface when you are done.

That may not be the best way, but it worked for me.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"mywebaccts wrote in message
I'd like to make a chessboard. It should be easy enough. Take 32
squares of one color, 32 of another, glue them together and frame it.

But .. HOW do I make the super-clean cuts needed for a piece that small?

For example, say the squares were as small as 1" on a side. How does
one make so clean a cut?

Also ... what if I were making the board in an elongated fashion, so
that the squares were slanted a bit instead. Now, there would be even
less tolerance for the cut.

While it can be done, that is one of the worst ways to make a game board.

Without going into a long detailed post, see if you can find/watch a
WoodWorks segment, perhaps something on diy.net, where David J. Marks did
his gameboard segment.

You will long the tricks if you can find it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
no(SPAM)vasys

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:
I'd like to make a chessboard. It should be easy enough. Take 32
squares of one color, 32 of another, glue them together and frame it.

But .. HOW do I make the super-clean cuts needed for a piece that small?

For example, say the squares were as small as 1" on a side. How does
one make so clean a cut?

Also ... what if I were making the board in an elongated fashion, so
that the squares were slanted a bit instead. Now, there would be even
less tolerance for the cut.

HELP!

Jack

See:

http://www.leestyron.com/chesstable1.php

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

Man, there's gotta be a better way of putting it together. Rather than
taking 64 individual pieces and gluing them up, how about edge-gluing 9
or 10 dark and light boards of the proper width, then crosscutting the
panel to create strips of alternating pieces? Arrange and glue the
strips together, this time endgrain to endgrain (follow recommended
procedures for endgrain gluing) so they create the chessboard. Trim off
excess and frame it. You're welcome. Tom
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:
I'd like to make a chessboard. It should be easy enough. Take 32
squares of one color, 32 of another, glue them together and frame it.

But .. HOW do I make the super-clean cuts needed for a piece that small?

For example, say the squares were as small as 1" on a side. How does
one make so clean a cut?

Also ... what if I were making the board in an elongated fashion, so
that the squares were slanted a bit instead. Now, there would be even
less tolerance for the cut.

HELP!

Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tex

In article , "mywebaccts
(at) PLUGcomcast.net" "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" says...
I'd like to make a chessboard. It should be easy enough. Take 32
squares of one color, 32 of another, glue them together and frame it.

But .. HOW do I make the super-clean cuts needed for a piece that small?

For example, say the squares were as small as 1" on a side. How does
one make so clean a cut?

Also ... what if I were making the board in an elongated fashion, so
that the squares were slanted a bit instead. Now, there would be even
less tolerance for the cut.

HELP!

Jack

I'd suggest ripping 1" strips and edge glueing them in alternating
colors. Then crosscut that panel into 1" strips. It's either going to
take 9 or 10 strips so you will be able to alternate the colors. I
admit to not doing a full layout - just know you're going to need more
than the 8. Then, offset the colors and end-glue those strips. You may
want to use biscuits or dowels on the second glue up.

I've done this with some decorative cutting boards and it works pretty
well. However, I've had some shrinkage later that has separated the
end-grain cuts on a couple of boards. That's why I'd suggest the
biscuits and be sure to use plenty of glue as the endgrain makes it
harder to get a good glue joint and will soak up more glue than the edge
glued portions. After you've done this and all joints are dry and
secure, rip the extra off the two edges.

Then, as you say, frame it.

Good luck,
tex
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
at) PLUGcomcast.net" "mywebaccts (at "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote:
I'd like to make a chessboard. It should be easy enough. Take 32
squares of one color, 32 of another, glue them together and frame it.

But .. HOW do I make the super-clean cuts needed for a piece that small?

For example, say the squares were as small as 1" on a side. How does
one make so clean a cut?

Also ... what if I were making the board in an elongated fashion, so
that the squares were slanted a bit instead. Now, there would be even
less tolerance for the cut.

HELP!

Jack

I must be missing something here. Do you really mean that you don't
need "clean cuts" for larger pieces? With a decent tablesaw and blade,
it shoule be easy enough to cut 64 pieces accurately enough. I would
expect serveral "rejects" but even so...

As for the "elongated fashion" I really don't know what you mean here.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to rec.woodworking
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net

Ah ... yes, for the chessboard, that would be the right approach.

Related to that though, if you did want a single 1"x1" square piece, how
would you cut it? I could rip a strip 1" wide ... but then cutting the
1" pieces off of that would be rather difficult with my table saw. Maybe
if I sandwiched them inbetween other boards, it would hold it in place
after the cut.

Anyway ... THANKS for the answer to the chessboard. As Homer Simpson
would say .. DOH!

Jack

RicodJour wrote:

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:

I'd like to make a chessboard. It should be easy enough. Take 32
squares of one color, 32 of another, glue them together and frame it.

But .. HOW do I make the super-clean cuts needed for a piece that small?

For example, say the squares were as small as 1" on a side. How does
one make so clean a cut?

Also ... what if I were making the board in an elongated fashion, so
that the squares were slanted a bit instead. Now, there would be even
less tolerance for the cut.

You're not making short cuts, or shouldn't be. Rip the contrasting
wood strips to the correct width, glue them together, rip the composite
board into the same width strips, then flip alternate row pieces end
for end and glue them up.

Posted to rec.woodworking
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net

Ah ... by elongated, I meant to say that I might need to cut pieces that
aren't simply square, but rather stretched or deformed. Still straight
edges, but perhaps with sharper corners.

Yes ... a good saw blade would make a world of difference. Could you
recommend some good blades that would cost less than a new table saw?
Heh, I've seen blades for over $100. I'm sure that they're worth it,
but doesn't anyone make a really nice blade in the $40 range?

Jack

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 11:34:22 -0600, "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote:

I'd like to make a chessboard. It should be easy enough. Take 32
squares of one color, 32 of another, glue them together and frame it.

But .. HOW do I make the super-clean cuts needed for a piece that small?

For example, say the squares were as small as 1" on a side. How does
one make so clean a cut?

Also ... what if I were making the board in an elongated fashion, so
that the squares were slanted a bit instead. Now, there would be even
less tolerance for the cut.

HELP!

Hi there-

There was an episode of Woodworks a while back where the guy made a
chessboard, and I liked his method an awful lot. He veneered a couple
of pieces of ply (Baltic birch?) with contrasting wood, then cut
strips out of those. He glued the strips together, then crosscut the
whole deal, and flipped every other strip over- then glued it back
together again.

Looked pretty easy. The first chessboard I made, I did with
individual squares like you're describing, and it ended up being a
real nightmare to clamp. Everything turned out all right, but the
next one I make will definately be using the method described in the
first paragraph.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 15:02:34 -0600, "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote:

Ah ... yes, for the chessboard, that would be the right approach.

Related to that though, if you did want a single 1"x1" square piece, how
would you cut it? I could rip a strip 1" wide ... but then cutting the
1" pieces off of that would be rather difficult with my table saw. Maybe
if I sandwiched them inbetween other boards, it would hold it in place
after the cut.

I've done some repetative cutting like that, and I always do the
following: rip the strips, then set the fence to (for example) 1 3/4"
and clamp a 3/4" block to it anywhere in front of the blade. Get the
miter guage out and butt the strip up against it and the block, then
push forward to complete the cut. Because the block is not next to
the blade, but only in front of it, the risk of kickback is
dramatically reduced. Clean out the cut pieces every so often to keep
them from catching the blade. Should keep the tolerance very well- if
not, try clamping the long end to the miter guage.

FWIW, that's what it describes in my saw's manual as well, so the
technique has obviously been through all the standard liability gunk
and has been deemed safe enough by Delta.

Posted to rec.woodworking
JD

Hi there-

There was an episode of Woodworks a while back where the guy made a
chessboard, and I liked his method an awful lot. He veneered a couple
of pieces of ply (Baltic birch?) with contrasting wood, then cut
strips out of those. He glued the strips together, then crosscut the
whole deal, and flipped every other strip over- then glued it back
together again.

Looked pretty easy. The first chessboard I made, I did with
individual squares like you're describing, and it ended up being a
real nightmare to clamp. Everything turned out all right, but the
next one I make will definately be using the method described in the
first paragraph.

Here is the web address to the write up on that episode.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ww_dec...278237,00.html

good luck

JD