Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

Default How does one make fine cuts on small pieces?

Man, there's gotta be a better way of putting it together. Rather than
taking 64 individual pieces and gluing them up, how about edge-gluing 9
or 10 dark and light boards of the proper width, then crosscutting the
panel to create strips of alternating pieces? Arrange and glue the
strips together, this time endgrain to endgrain (follow recommended
procedures for endgrain gluing) so they create the chessboard. Trim off
excess and frame it. You're welcome. Tom
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:
I'd like to make a chessboard. It should be easy enough. Take 32
squares of one color, 32 of another, glue them together and frame it.

But .. HOW do I make the super-clean cuts needed for a piece that small?

For example, say the squares were as small as 1" on a side. How does
one make so clean a cut?

Also ... what if I were making the board in an elongated fashion, so
that the squares were slanted a bit instead. Now, there would be even
less tolerance for the cut.

HELP!

Jack