Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insecticide

Good morning.
We have a local bug company come and spray on a summer program for 6 months.
It's done as a preventative measure.
Any ideas what the name of the insecticide these guys use? It must be some
sort of general purpose insecticide. It's sprayed around the foundation of
the house, as well as inside. It must be safe for animals too because of
the cats, etc.
I've never had the chance to ask the guy who comes.
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 7/23/2007 9:11 AM JohnnyC said the following:
Good morning.
We have a local bug company come and spray on a summer program for 6 months.
It's done as a preventative measure.
Any ideas what the name of the insecticide these guys use? It must be some
sort of general purpose insecticide. It's sprayed around the foundation of
the house, as well as inside. It must be safe for animals too because of
the cats, etc.
I've never had the chance to ask the guy who comes.
Thanks.

Probably Cypermethrin, a synthetic insecticide concentrate that is
non-toxic to humans or animals when dry. Sold under the label 'Demon
WP', for one.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JohnnyC" wrote in message ...
Good morning.
We have a local bug company come and spray on a summer program for 6
months. It's done as a preventative measure.
Any ideas what the name of the insecticide these guys use? It must be
some sort of general purpose insecticide. It's sprayed around the
foundation of the house, as well as inside. It must be safe for animals
too because of the cats, etc.
I've never had the chance to ask the guy who comes.
Thanks.

Only a total idiot would allow anything to be sprayed in or near the home
without knowing what it was. Congratulations. You are a total idiot. Please
kill your kids before they can vote, reproduce, or drive cars.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JohnnyC writes:

Any ideas what the name of the insecticide these guys use?

Seems like all you see either professional or do-it-yourself any more is
pyrethroids. (Why is that?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrethroid
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

JohnnyC wrote:
Good morning.
We have a local bug company come and spray on a summer program for 6 months.
It's done as a preventative measure.
Any ideas what the name of the insecticide these guys use? It must be some
sort of general purpose insecticide. It's sprayed around the foundation of
the house, as well as inside. It must be safe for animals too because of
the cats, etc.
I've never had the chance to ask the guy who comes.
Thanks.

They are required to leave an invoice with the name of the product used,
how much was used and at what percent. Sure it was one of the
pyrethroids, there are a few that are commonly used as you describe.

Lar

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

willshak wrote:

on 7/23/2007 9:11 AM JohnnyC said the following:

Good morning.
We have a local bug company come and spray on a summer program for 6
months. It's done as a preventative measure.
Any ideas what the name of the insecticide these guys use? It must be
some sort of general purpose insecticide. It's sprayed around the
foundation of the house, as well as inside. It must be safe for
animals too because of the cats, etc.
I've never had the chance to ask the guy who comes.
Thanks.

Probably Cypermethrin, a synthetic insecticide concentrate that is
non-toxic to humans or animals when dry. Sold under the label 'Demon
WP', for one.

Well make that low toxic to humans, it is probably used 35 times or so
less than T salt at label dosage, but it does kill insects so can be
toxic. Cypermethrin is what I mainly use myself in my business but
actually most companies seem to use the newer generation of pyrethroids
such as bifenthrin, Cyfluthrin and Lambda cyhalothrin.

Lar
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

Richard J Kinch wrote:

JohnnyC writes:

Any ideas what the name of the insecticide these guys use?

Seems like all you see either professional or do-it-yourself any more is
pyrethroids. (Why is that?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrethroid

Well the main reason is the older common insecticides such as dursban
and diazinon are off the consumer market, for a number of years now and
can no longer be applied by pros in areas where kids may be found. The
reason most pros for years have used pyrethroids are that pyrethroids
act faster than the older organophosphates (dursban, diazinon), insects
are more sensitive to them so the usage rate is a lot less than the OP's
(dursban would be used at a rate from .5% to 1%, I use cypermethrin at
rates from .025% to .1%). And some of the pyrethroids effectiveness
lasts longer than the OPs so instead of monthly services we area able to
service every 90 days.

Lar
Posted to alt.home.repair

Well the main reason is the older common insecticides such as dursban and
diazinon are off the consumer market, for a number of years now

Glad I "stocked up" back then

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

Rudy wrote:
Well the main reason is the older common insecticides such as dursban and
diazinon are off the consumer market, for a number of years now

Glad I "stocked up" back then

The pyrethroids definitely are a better product and most don't have the
hard chemical smell of those two.

Lar
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lar, Thanks for responding. This is great information.
..
The reason I asked the original question is that I can probably save about
$250.00 a year if I do the spraying myself.
..