Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

Default Insecticide

Richard J Kinch wrote:

JohnnyC writes:

Any ideas what the name of the insecticide these guys use?

Seems like all you see either professional or do-it-yourself any more is
pyrethroids. (Why is that?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrethroid

Well the main reason is the older common insecticides such as dursban
and diazinon are off the consumer market, for a number of years now and
can no longer be applied by pros in areas where kids may be found. The
reason most pros for years have used pyrethroids are that pyrethroids
act faster than the older organophosphates (dursban, diazinon), insects
are more sensitive to them so the usage rate is a lot less than the OP's
(dursban would be used at a rate from .5% to 1%, I use cypermethrin at
rates from .025% to .1%). And some of the pyrethroids effectiveness
lasts longer than the OPs so instead of monthly services we area able to
service every 90 days.

Lar