Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Automobile cover

I have this weird idea of making an automobile cover to
protect my Nissan against the So. Calif. sun.

Putting those silver screens in windshield, then moving them
to back window, is not only a hassle, but doesn't protect
leather interior from side sunlight.

The covers sold in auto parts stores are much too bulky
for small moi to rassle with each time I want to go somewhere.

So I thought I would create a lightweight curved cover that
can be lifted off in one piece -- at least big enough to fit
over the roof and shade all the windows.

I would take a white bedsheet and fasten it to a pair of
curved ???? -- PVC is probably too flexible, so what should
I use? Bamboo? Or?

I want the framework to be rigid enough to \enable me to lift off
cover in one motion.

Am I stark raving mad, or could this fly?

Or am I better off getting one of those canopy-type jobbies?
But will they let sunlight in the sides?

Criticism, suggestions (esp. for rigid members of curved cover
eagerly solicited. You folks see right through problems!

Higgs Boson
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 22:24:08 -0700, Higgs Boson wrote:

I have this weird idea of making an automobile cover to
protect my Nissan against the So. Calif. sun.

Putting those silver screens in windshield, then moving them
to back window, is not only a hassle, but doesn't protect
leather interior from side sunlight.

I agree. Also, don't ever buy a car with a black top or a black
interior. Unless you're in the Yukon and you need the heat.

The covers sold in auto parts stores are much too bulky
for small moi to rassle with each time I want to go somewhere.

So I thought I would create a lightweight curved cover that
can be lifted off in one piece -- at least big enough to fit
over the roof and shade all the windows.

I'll admit they don't have some of the features that you list below,
but otoh, if they still sell them, and I suspect they do, this will
only take 10 minutes. I haven't paid attention for years, but
www.jcwhitney.com had a large selection of car covers, including those
that only coer the roof and the windows. I have one like that that
fits a Chryser LeBAron and cars that size. (Although I have to check.
The one I'm thinking of might just be transparent vinyl.)

If your car is smaller, you, or your grandmother, or a tailor, could
probably tailor it to the size of your car.

I would take a white bedsheet and fasten it to a pair of

Do you know those mesh men's t-shirts, that I'm told enable one to get
a tan, but more slowly than with no shirt at all. I think your
bedsheet will let a lot of sun through, even if it's percale. OTOH,
an old sheet could be a good thing to use for a first effort.

curved ???? -- PVC is probably too flexible, so what should
I use? Bamboo? Or?

I don't think bamboo can be bent at all, but I may be wrong.

Rattan bends well, after being soaked in water. I would think the
chlorine in a swimming pool wouldn't hurt it much. Check out how to
make rattan furniture. We used to have a whole set of that stuff,
designed for the porch, so I think it takes rain water well after it's
soaked a lot, bent, and dried.

I want the framework to be rigid enough to \enable me to lift off
cover in one motion.

So you're only going to use this at home?

Am I stark raving mad, or could this fly?

You're mad and it could work well.

Or am I better off getting one of those canopy-type jobbies?

???

But will they let sunlight in the sides?

Criticism, suggestions (esp. for rigid members of curved cover
eagerly solicited. You folks see right through problems!

Higgs Boson

Maybe you can get a really big piece of tupperware, and use the
bottom. I'm sort of serious. If you note the dimensions of your car,
starting at the bottom of the windows, and keep your eyes open, you
may find a box already made. Then just put some felt on it so it
doesn't abrade your car, or something so that it rests on the chrome
strips just below the windows, and you might be done. At least it
will give you time to think about the second prototype.

I had cloth furniture in the living room, and the side of the 2-seater
that faced the window just fell apart, although I think it took at
least 15 years. Of course it got sunlight all the time, usually
through the large sliding glass door. In my 6 convertibles, I've had 3
with vinyls seats, 2 with leather, and now one with cloth. When I
first got it I was worried about the sun doing to the seats what it
did to the 2-seater, especially when i put the top down.. But so far,
my 1995 Chrysler shows no problem. And I park it outside all year, in
Baltimore fwiw. Of course the roof is up when it's parked and that
keeps the sun of off most of it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Higgs Boson wrote:

I have this weird idea of making an automobile cover to
protect my Nissan against the So. Calif. sun.

[...]
So I thought I would create a lightweight curved cover that
can be lifted off in one piece -- at least big enough to fit
over the roof and shade all the windows.

I would take a white bedsheet and fasten it to a pair of
curved ???? -- PVC is probably too flexible, so what should
I use? Bamboo? Or?

Forget the framework. Sew rare-earth magnets into the hem of the sheet.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have never used a car cover, but I know they can cause damage to the
paint, especially if the cover &/or car is not clean. Observe.

Any good outdoorsman(mountainclimber) knows all about Aluminum alloys. The
size, strength, weight, durability and flexibility for starters. If you
look a the prices and pole materials of all the tents at the www below you
can get an idea of whats good, better, best, then buy replacement
section(s), or go to a steel mfr/supply co. (hollow) Tent poles often have
a "zipcord ?" running through them to connect them all pole pieces into one
which folds up of specific length. Often the fabric of the (good) tent
will have sleeves instead of loops for quicker set-up. There are numerous
connection fasteners which goes any which way for any number of pieces.
Vestibules and cnopys may fold out. There may be single pieces which do an
entire entry in a near 360 circle. And ene to end connections are crucial.
I'm sure these things go like hotcakes. The pole itself bends to a degree.
An entire spider or igloo may be 8 x2 pole pieces with a central hub
(proprietary fastener hardware and may be "wired permanently" together to
never seperate (except repair/replace), fold up in one piece, and may take
literally 30 seconds to set up. I wouldn't get scared off by the price of
this specific sku:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d... 1184945647371

Higgs Boson wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Poles are Yunan aluminum, connected to a central hub for rapid assembly.
Floating connectors make repairs simple: raw tube can just be cut to length"

from

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d... 1184950457730

"bent" wrote in message
[...]

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

Look at a tent. A dome type tent. Look at the hollow poles with the shock
cord / bungie cord inside them. These are available as parts in really
well socked outdoor euipment stores like REI.

You can probably sew up a white cover with tabs in it to hold the
ends of the tent poles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Thanks to all for creative suggestions.

I went to Whitney, and they do have two types of covers, one
just a canopy; one complete enclosure. Problem is the
dimensions - 10 x 20. My driveway is old and narrow so
would never fit.

Don't think I want to spend the $$ for the aluminum poles
per one suggestion.

I have a fairly expensive mountain tent of the type described by one
poster. If I can find it in the garage, I'll see if it's doable.
(Might also be stealable, in an open driveway!)

As soon as I get answer about "rare-earth magnets" I'll
try to decide between a double-thick white sheet w/magnets
and a low-priced car cover from the auto parts store down
the street. I bought one years ago for another car from
Pep Boys, and recall it being a real hassle to remove&replace, so I
returned it.

I actually DID implement the sheet/magnets solution half-assedly
during a period of several months when I didn't drive the car; just
left it in the driveway under the cruel sun... That may be the
low-tech solution, if I can attach tapes to the sheet seams so that
the magnets can be placed lower down on the car body to resist wind.

Bamboo certainly IS bendable - look at at the garden items
made of shaped bamboo, and building scaffolds ubiquitous in even
developed Asian countires - but I wouldn't want to bother with
acquiring the bamboo, soaking it and shaping it. Overkill.

One last possibility is to get flexible PVC piping shaped to fit
car top, and fill it with something to give it rigidity. But what?
And would it make pipes too heavy?

What about a combo of PVC pipes not curved to shape of car top and not
filled to give rigidity; just serving as frames for the double sheet
tacked to the pipes, then attached to tapes holding magnets.

Still grasping onto my dream...G

Higgs Boson
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
I have this weird idea of making an automobile cover to
protect my Nissan against the So. Calif. sun.

Am I stark raving mad, or could this fly?

"Bras" for cars are certainly popular; your idea for a "beanie" could be
too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aspasia wrote:
Forget the framework. Sew rare-earth magnets into the hem of the sheet.

Uh...why "rare-earth magnets" rather than ordinary ones?

Straight question.

They're much stronger for the size.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Hot Tub Cover JaxDawg Home Ownership 1 February 14th 07 07:33 PM
Automobile interior ideas needed... Stonegrift Woodworking 1 December 16th 05 05:20 AM
Automobile interior ideas needed Andy Woodworking 0 December 16th 05 05:05 AM
Cover this Ralph Henrichs Metalworking 1 May 18th 05 12:23 AM