Posted to alt.home.repair
bent bent is offline

Default Automobile cover

I have never used a car cover, but I know they can cause damage to the
paint, especially if the cover &/or car is not clean. Observe.

Any good outdoorsman(mountainclimber) knows all about Aluminum alloys. The
size, strength, weight, durability and flexibility for starters. If you
look a the prices and pole materials of all the tents at the www below you
can get an idea of whats good, better, best, then buy replacement
section(s), or go to a steel mfr/supply co. (hollow) Tent poles often have
a "zipcord ?" running through them to connect them all pole pieces into one
which folds up of specific length. Often the fabric of the (good) tent
will have sleeves instead of loops for quicker set-up. There are numerous
connection fasteners which goes any which way for any number of pieces.
Vestibules and cnopys may fold out. There may be single pieces which do an
entire entry in a near 360 circle. And ene to end connections are crucial.
I'm sure these things go like hotcakes. The pole itself bends to a degree.
An entire spider or igloo may be 8 x2 pole pieces with a central hub
(proprietary fastener hardware and may be "wired permanently" together to
never seperate (except repair/replace), fold up in one piece, and may take
literally 30 seconds to set up. I wouldn't get scared off by the price of
this specific sku:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d... 1184945647371

Higgs Boson wrote in message

I have this weird idea of making an automobile cover to
protect my Nissan against the So. Calif. sun.

Putting those silver screens in windshield, then moving them
to back window, is not only a hassle, but doesn't protect
leather interior from side sunlight.

The covers sold in auto parts stores are much too bulky
for small moi to rassle with each time I want to go somewhere.

So I thought I would create a lightweight curved cover that
can be lifted off in one piece -- at least big enough to fit
over the roof and shade all the windows.

I would take a white bedsheet and fasten it to a pair of
curved ???? -- PVC is probably too flexible, so what should
I use? Bamboo? Or?

I want the framework to be rigid enough to \enable me to lift off
cover in one motion.

Am I stark raving mad, or could this fly?

Or am I better off getting one of those canopy-type jobbies?
But will they let sunlight in the sides?

Criticism, suggestions (esp. for rigid members of curved cover
eagerly solicited. You folks see right through problems!

Higgs Boson