Posted to alt.home.repair
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Automobile cover

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 22:24:08 -0700, Higgs Boson wrote:

I have this weird idea of making an automobile cover to
protect my Nissan against the So. Calif. sun.

Putting those silver screens in windshield, then moving them
to back window, is not only a hassle, but doesn't protect
leather interior from side sunlight.

The covers sold in auto parts stores are much too bulky
for small moi to rassle with each time I want to go somewhere.

So I thought I would create a lightweight curved cover that
can be lifted off in one piece -- at least big enough to fit
over the roof and shade all the windows.

I would take a white bedsheet and fasten it to a pair of
curved ???? -- PVC is probably too flexible, so what should
I use? Bamboo? Or?

I want the framework to be rigid enough to \enable me to lift off
cover in one motion.

Am I stark raving mad, or could this fly?

Or am I better off getting one of those canopy-type jobbies?
But will they let sunlight in the sides?

Criticism, suggestions (esp. for rigid members of curved cover
eagerly solicited. You folks see right through problems!

Higgs Boson

Thanks to all for creative suggestions.

I went to Whitney, and they do have two types of covers, one
just a canopy; one complete enclosure. Problem is the
dimensions - 10 x 20. My driveway is old and narrow so
would never fit.

Don't think I want to spend the $$ for the aluminum poles
per one suggestion.

I have a fairly expensive mountain tent of the type described by one
poster. If I can find it in the garage, I'll see if it's doable.
(Might also be stealable, in an open driveway!)

As soon as I get answer about "rare-earth magnets" I'll
try to decide between a double-thick white sheet w/magnets
and a low-priced car cover from the auto parts store down
the street. I bought one years ago for another car from
Pep Boys, and recall it being a real hassle to remove&replace, so I
returned it.

I actually DID implement the sheet/magnets solution half-assedly
during a period of several months when I didn't drive the car; just
left it in the driveway under the cruel sun... That may be the
low-tech solution, if I can attach tapes to the sheet seams so that
the magnets can be placed lower down on the car body to resist wind.

Bamboo certainly IS bendable - look at at the garden items
made of shaped bamboo, and building scaffolds ubiquitous in even
developed Asian countires - but I wouldn't want to bother with
acquiring the bamboo, soaking it and shaping it. Overkill.

One last possibility is to get flexible PVC piping shaped to fit
car top, and fill it with something to give it rigidity. But what?
And would it make pipes too heavy?

What about a combo of PVC pipes not curved to shape of car top and not
filled to give rigidity; just serving as frames for the double sheet
tacked to the pipes, then attached to tapes holding magnets.

Still grasping onto my dream...G

Higgs Boson