Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Automobile cover

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 22:24:08 -0700, Higgs Boson wrote:

I have this weird idea of making an automobile cover to
protect my Nissan against the So. Calif. sun.

Putting those silver screens in windshield, then moving them
to back window, is not only a hassle, but doesn't protect
leather interior from side sunlight.

I agree. Also, don't ever buy a car with a black top or a black
interior. Unless you're in the Yukon and you need the heat.

The covers sold in auto parts stores are much too bulky
for small moi to rassle with each time I want to go somewhere.

So I thought I would create a lightweight curved cover that
can be lifted off in one piece -- at least big enough to fit
over the roof and shade all the windows.

I'll admit they don't have some of the features that you list below,
but otoh, if they still sell them, and I suspect they do, this will
only take 10 minutes. I haven't paid attention for years, but
www.jcwhitney.com had a large selection of car covers, including those
that only coer the roof and the windows. I have one like that that
fits a Chryser LeBAron and cars that size. (Although I have to check.
The one I'm thinking of might just be transparent vinyl.)

If your car is smaller, you, or your grandmother, or a tailor, could
probably tailor it to the size of your car.

I would take a white bedsheet and fasten it to a pair of

Do you know those mesh men's t-shirts, that I'm told enable one to get
a tan, but more slowly than with no shirt at all. I think your
bedsheet will let a lot of sun through, even if it's percale. OTOH,
an old sheet could be a good thing to use for a first effort.

curved ???? -- PVC is probably too flexible, so what should
I use? Bamboo? Or?

I don't think bamboo can be bent at all, but I may be wrong.

Rattan bends well, after being soaked in water. I would think the
chlorine in a swimming pool wouldn't hurt it much. Check out how to
make rattan furniture. We used to have a whole set of that stuff,
designed for the porch, so I think it takes rain water well after it's
soaked a lot, bent, and dried.

I want the framework to be rigid enough to \enable me to lift off
cover in one motion.

So you're only going to use this at home?

Am I stark raving mad, or could this fly?

You're mad and it could work well.

Or am I better off getting one of those canopy-type jobbies?

???

But will they let sunlight in the sides?

Criticism, suggestions (esp. for rigid members of curved cover
eagerly solicited. You folks see right through problems!

Higgs Boson

Maybe you can get a really big piece of tupperware, and use the
bottom. I'm sort of serious. If you note the dimensions of your car,
starting at the bottom of the windows, and keep your eyes open, you
may find a box already made. Then just put some felt on it so it
doesn't abrade your car, or something so that it rests on the chrome
strips just below the windows, and you might be done. At least it
will give you time to think about the second prototype.

I had cloth furniture in the living room, and the side of the 2-seater
that faced the window just fell apart, although I think it took at
least 15 years. Of course it got sunlight all the time, usually
through the large sliding glass door. In my 6 convertibles, I've had 3
with vinyls seats, 2 with leather, and now one with cloth. When I
first got it I was worried about the sun doing to the seats what it
did to the 2-seater, especially when i put the top down.. But so far,
my 1995 Chrysler shows no problem. And I park it outside all year, in
Baltimore fwiw. Of course the roof is up when it's parked and that
keeps the sun of off most of it.