Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Actaul capacity of Porter-Cable Compressor?

I am looking at a compressor to replace my oversized 240v compressor that I
can only use in my garage. I am considering getting this Porter-Cable
pancake compressor and wondered if anybody has used it to power a roofing
gun:

http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=6192

If you have used it for either serious framing or roofing, how well did it
work? Thanks.

Mike D.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 00:15:54 GMT, "Mike Dobony"
wrote:

I am looking at a compressor to replace my oversized 240v compressor that I
can only use in my garage. I am considering getting this Porter-Cable
pancake compressor and wondered if anybody has used it to power a roofing
gun:

http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=6192

If you have used it for either serious framing or roofing, how well did it
work? Thanks.

Mike D.

I have one and we did use a framing gun. It will not keep up (fast
work) - imo. The compressor needs to catch up. You can add a 100'
hose to help with air.

I love this compressor. It turns on when I blow of the miter saw ...
(constant air). For finish nailing - great.

If you buy it, get the kit with 3 guns (?).

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 5:15 pm, "Mike Dobony" wrote:
I am looking at a compressor to replace my oversized 240v compressor that I
can only use in my garage. I am considering getting this Porter-Cable
pancake compressor and wondered if anybody has used it to power a roofing
gun:

http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=6192

If you have used it for either serious framing or roofing, how well did it
work? Thanks.

Mike D.

It all depends on the cyclic rate you demand of the gun.

If you're expecting this little guy (they sure are convenient for size
& weight)

to drive a framing gun like a Hitcahi NR83A,

your sustained cyclic rates going to be ~20 shots per minute; a nail
every three seconds.

Pretty inconvenient if you're doing a lot sustained nailing.

check out this Senco page for compressor / gun match ups

http://www.senco.com/con_rem/ques_comp.asp

Running a coil nailer you'd get more like a shot every 1.5 to 2
seconds.....better but still a little on the skimpy side.

If you're really doing production work, I think you'll be disappointed
with this compressor.

It's better suited to intermittent demand and smaller guns (8 or 16
gage brad nailers) such that it can catch up while you're doing
something else.

In the product description it talks about supporting a two man "trim
crew"

For real roofing or framing work you're going to need 2 or 2.5x this
air compressor capacity

this larger compressor

http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=4797

4.5 gallon storage capacity air tank supports
heavy use of brad nailers, staplers, and finish nailers;
moderate use of roofing and framing nailers.

"moderate use"

cheers
Bob

cheers

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 01:15:20 -0000, BobK207
wrote:

In the product description it talks about supporting a two man "trim
crew"

I ruled this out. You nail I cut!

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
. net...
I am looking at a compressor to replace my oversized 240v compressor that I
can only use in my garage. I am considering getting this Porter-Cable
pancake compressor and wondered if anybody has used it to power a roofing
gun:

http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=6192

If you have used it for either serious framing or roofing, how well did it
work? Thanks.

Mike D.

It works fine for my uses, but I'm not in the "serious" category doing such
work. If I put 3 or 4 nails into framing without a pause, that is normal.
If you expect to bang in 100 nails down the line, go bigger. If you are
doing the roof yourself, it will easily keep up. For Joe Weekender, it is
sufficient, but for a pro, marginal. It is not made for a roofing crew.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BobK207" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Jul 19, 5:15 pm, "Mike Dobony" wrote:
I am looking at a compressor to replace my oversized 240v compressor that
can only use in my garage. I am considering getting this Porter-Cable
pancake compressor and wondered if anybody has used it to power a roofing
gun:

http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=6192

If you have used it for either serious framing or roofing, how well did
it
work? Thanks.

Mike D.

It all depends on the cyclic rate you demand of the gun.

If you're expecting this little guy (they sure are convenient for size
& weight)

to drive a framing gun like a Hitcahi NR83A,

your sustained cyclic rates going to be ~20 shots per minute; a nail
every three seconds.

I'm not that fast. With a framing gun it will be smaller projects and only
that fast on the sheeting for a shed or addition.

Pretty inconvenient if you're doing a lot sustained nailing.

check out this Senco page for compressor / gun match ups

http://www.senco.com/con_rem/ques_comp.asp

Running a coil nailer you'd get more like a shot every 1.5 to 2
seconds.....better but still a little on the skimpy side.

This is about my speed, but only for a few shingles at a time.

If you're really doing production work, I think you'll be disappointed
with this compressor.

It's better suited to intermittent demand and smaller guns (8 or 16
gage brad nailers) such that it can catch up while you're doing
something else.

In the product description it talks about supporting a two man "trim
crew"

For real roofing or framing work you're going to need 2 or 2.5x this
air compressor capacity

this larger compressor

http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=4797

Link does not work. Are you talking about the Job Boss?

4.5 gallon storage capacity air tank supports
heavy use of brad nailers, staplers, and finish nailers;
moderate use of roofing and framing nailers.

"moderate use"

cheers
Bob

cheers

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
et...

[...]

My wife and I make up our roofing crew, with her laying out the shingles and
me nailing. When I get to sheeting (laying plywood on the roof or floor) I
can be pretty fast, one row of nails in less than 2 seconds, and then
another 2-3 seconds to line up for the next row of nails across the 4' run,
nails about every 4-6 inches.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 20, 4:15 pm, "Mike Dobony" wrote:
"BobK207" wrote in message

ps.com...

[...]

Mike-

Sorry about the bad link

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Prod...roductID=11503

yes I was talking about the Job Boss (it comes in two flavors; oil
lubed & oil-less)

The link is for the oil-less, it has a higher cfm rating

Air tool matching to a compressor is all about compressor cfm
(horsepower if you can get a believable number) , tank size , tool air
consumption per shot & tool duty cycle.

I'm sorry I haven't given you a good answer about whether the
compressor will do for you but it really depends on your usage.

You can "help" the compressor by plumbing in (use QD's) an extra
storage tank. I've a 7.5 gallon extra tank that I add to the
"circuit" closer to the point of use. I have regulator just
downstream of the extra tank. The extra tank setup gives me better
volume flow at the tool & more overall "burst" capacity. Of course
sustained use is still limited by compressor capacity.

I think the small compressor will probably do it for you. But you
could buy more hose & an extra tank to improve the usability of your
current compressor.

What's the amp rating (or cfm @ 90 psi) of your current compressor?

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BobK207" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 20, 4:15 pm, "Mike Dobony" wrote:
"BobK207" wrote in message

ps.com...

[...]

I don't think it would do much good to have 44,000 feet of hose to get the
240v compressor to work when I can only plug it into a 30 amp 240 outlet.
I need something I can use anywhere on a job site. I have had to rely on
manual labor to do a lot of jobs for many people because they did not have
the proper outlet required. I need a decent 120v compressor that will power
a roofing gun and a framing gun. I am not building homes or working with a
big crew. My wife and I do little jobs for people occasionally and need
somthign that will do decent work with a single roofing gun or a single
framing gun. My son's cheap Harbor Freight compressor almost did the job
for roofing, but lost it just before having to recharge the tank. His
compressor had a max psi of only 115 and didn't kick in until it reached
about 80 or 85PSI. It was like this one, but a lower capacity
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94734.

What's the amp rating (or cfm @ 90 psi) of your current compressor?

About 8cfm at 90 and 30amp 240v.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 00:17:13 -0000, BobK207
wrote:

Sorry about the bad link

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Prod...roductID=11503

Broke link --

Binary stream '0' does not contain a valid BinaryHeader. Possible
causes are invalid stream or object version change between
serialization and deserialization.

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..