Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Porter Cable Air Compressor

I'm going to buy my first air compressor/finish nailer combo kit and I was
hoping for some advice/info. I see that both Porter Cable and Bostitch offer
what seems to be nice sets that include a 6 gal pancake compressor with a
brad nailer, finish nailer and stapler. I need a little help with the
compressor. The bostitch is 135psi max at 2hp peak and 2.1cfm @ 90 psi while
the Porter Cable is 150psi, 2.6 cfm @ 90psi but only .8 hp!

Judging by the cfm, both compressors will recover in about the same time,
the Porter Cable a little faster actually, so how does hp play into the
equation? Is this simply another case of two companies measuring specs
differently. I am somewhat partial to the larger psi capacity of the Porter
Cable but worry about what I will sacrifice with the low hp. Any thoughts?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jimmy" wrote in message
I'm going to buy my first air compressor/finish nailer combo kit and I was
hoping for some advice/info. I see that both Porter Cable and Bostitch
offer what seems to be nice sets that include a 6 gal pancake compressor
with a brad nailer, finish nailer and stapler. I need a little help with
the compressor. The bostitch is 135psi max at 2hp peak and 2.1cfm @ 90 psi
while the Porter Cable is 150psi, 2.6 cfm @ 90psi but only .8 hp!

Judging by the cfm, both compressors will recover in about the same time,
the Porter Cable a little faster actually, so how does hp play into the
equation? Is this simply another case of two companies measuring specs
differently. I am somewhat partial to the larger psi capacity of the
Porter Cable but worry about what I will sacrifice with the low hp. Any
thoughts?

For single nail gun use either will be fine. I would look at the warranty
of both.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Jim is offline

"Jimmy" wrote in message
I'm going to buy my first air compressor/finish nailer combo kit and I was
hoping for some advice/info. I see that both Porter Cable and Bostitch
offer what seems to be nice sets that include a 6 gal pancake compressor
with a brad nailer, finish nailer and stapler. I need a little help with
the compressor. The bostitch is 135psi max at 2hp peak and 2.1cfm @ 90 psi
while the Porter Cable is 150psi, 2.6 cfm @ 90psi but only .8 hp!

Judging by the cfm, both compressors will recover in about the same time,
the Porter Cable a little faster actually, so how does hp play into the
equation? Is this simply another case of two companies measuring specs
differently. I am somewhat partial to the larger psi capacity of the
Porter Cable but worry about what I will sacrifice with the low hp. Any
thoughts?

The 2 hp peak is just that - the maximum hp in any given cycle.
The .8 hp may be average (they aren't real specific). If so, then the peak
hp would be 1.6.
Furthermore, the actual hp depends on what one considers as the allowable
temperature rise.

In all likelihood both units would drive a single finish nailer quite well.

Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jimmy" wrote in message

Judging by the cfm, both compressors will recover in about the same time,
the Porter Cable a little faster actually, so how does hp play into the
equation?

For me, it's not necessarily have fast they recover, but how frequently they
must recover under use ... for nail gun and general shop use I would go with
the higher psi capacity, ignore the HP.

IME, expect the PC oil less to last about 3 - 4 years max under moderately
heavy use, then get ready for replace it. I can't speak to the Bostich in
that regard.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Jimmy wrote:
I'm going to buy my first air compressor/finish nailer combo kit and I was
hoping for some advice/info. I see that both Porter Cable and Bostitch offer
what seems to be nice sets that include a 6 gal pancake compressor with a
brad nailer, finish nailer and stapler. I need a little help with the
compressor. The bostitch is 135psi max at 2hp peak and 2.1cfm @ 90 psi while
the Porter Cable is 150psi, 2.6 cfm @ 90psi but only .8 hp!

Judging by the cfm, both compressors will recover in about the same time,
the Porter Cable a little faster actually, so how does hp play into the
equation? Is this simply another case of two companies measuring specs
differently. I am somewhat partial to the larger psi capacity of the Porter
Cable but worry about what I will sacrifice with the low hp. Any thoughts?

It appears that PC is using a realistic HP number whereas the Bosch is
using the misleading "Peak HP" The cfm numbers show which is really
more powerful. If you check the amperage ratings of the 2 units it
will probably be higher for the PC, if they both use the same type
motor.

Some other things to look for: oil or oiless? and induction motor, or
universal motor? If you can hear both units run, the noise level may
help you make up your mind. Generally, oil lubed units are quiter and
last longer, but are more expensive. Induction motors are quieter than
universal motors. Once you get much beyond the pancake style or other
pick-up-and-carry size units, they all have induction motors, but
in these smaller sizes, it could be either.

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jimmy" wrote in message
Judging by the cfm, both compressors will recover in about the same time,
the Porter Cable a little faster actually, so how does hp play into the
equation? Is this simply another case of two companies measuring specs
differently. I am somewhat partial to the larger psi capacity of the
Porter Cable but worry about what I will sacrifice with the low hp. Any
thoughts?

Any thoughts? Yes. Buy the one on sale or the one that has the nicest color
of the one with the guns that feels better in your hand.

You can obsess over specifications for hours, but they will both perform
about the same and I doubt you'll ever crank up to 150 psi anyway. Both
make good products, both are reliable, etc.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

... I doubt you'll ever crank up to 150 psi anyway.

Still, the higher the psi rating the better, IME.

The higher the psi, the more air stored. The more air available,
particularly with the non-demanding tools in the OP's package deal, the
longer between cycles. (you could also maybe argue less heat, less wear,
extended life, etc? But ....)

..... a longer time between cycles is definitely a _whole_ lot less
aggravating in a small shop with these "oil less" beasts ... even if it's
only two or three fewer cycles a session!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jimmy wrote:
I'm going to buy my first air compressor/finish nailer combo kit and I was
hoping for some advice/info. I see that both Porter Cable and Bostitch offer
what seems to be nice sets that include a 6 gal pancake compressor with a
brad nailer, finish nailer and stapler. I need a little help with the
compressor. The bostitch is 135psi max at 2hp peak and 2.1cfm @ 90 psi while
the Porter Cable is 150psi, 2.6 cfm @ 90psi but only .8 hp!

Judging by the cfm, both compressors will recover in about the same time,
the Porter Cable a little faster actually, so how does hp play into the
equation? Is this simply another case of two companies measuring specs
differently. I am somewhat partial to the larger psi capacity of the Porter
Cable but worry about what I will sacrifice with the low hp. Any thoughts?

I bought the PC kit you're talking about. The brad and finish nailers
are really nice guns and neither has had a single misfire yet. The
thing is rather loud though. Also, check amazon.com - they have the
same kit on there with free shipping and no tax.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jim" wrote in message
et...

| "Jimmy" wrote in message
| I'm going to buy my first air compressor/finish nailer combo kit and I
was
| hoping for some advice/info. I see that both Porter Cable and Bostitch
| offer what seems to be nice sets that include a 6 gal pancake compressor
| with a brad nailer, finish nailer and stapler. I need a little help with
| the compressor. The bostitch is 135psi max at 2hp peak and 2.1cfm @ 90
psi
| while the Porter Cable is 150psi, 2.6 cfm @ 90psi but only .8 hp!
|
| Judging by the cfm, both compressors will recover in about the same
time,
| the Porter Cable a little faster actually, so how does hp play into the
| equation? Is this simply another case of two companies measuring specs
| differently. I am somewhat partial to the larger psi capacity of the
| Porter Cable but worry about what I will sacrifice with the low hp. Any
| thoughts?
|
| The 2 hp peak is just that - the maximum hp in any given cycle.
| The .8 hp may be average (they aren't real specific). If so, then the
peak
| hp would be 1.6.
| Furthermore, the actual hp depends on what one considers as the allowable
| temperature rise.
|
| In all likelihood both units would drive a single finish nailer quite
well.

| Jim

Ignore HP and look at the delivered CFM. It's the only reliable measure of
what a compressor can deliver.

Norm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 22 Jan 2007 06:00:33 -0800, wrote:

Jimmy wrote:
[...]

I have the PC pancake compressor, but I bought it by itself - not in
the kit with the nail gun. I have to say that I like the weight. It
recharges fast. But it is unacceptably LOUD. I mean VERY LOUD. You
might want to try one out in a store before you buy it. It's the
first PC product that I'm disappointed in. I'm either gonna sell it,
or build a big insulated box to run it in, while it's in the shop.

The next compressor I buy will be an oil-type. The oilless all run a
little loud. But the PC is the loudest I've ever had the joy of being
near. I wish I had known that when I bought it - I would have made
another choice.

Bob the Tomato