Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Dobony Mike Dobony is offline

Default Actaul capacity of Porter-Cable Compressor?

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
et...

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
. net...
I am looking at a compressor to replace my oversized 240v compressor that
I can only use in my garage. I am considering getting this Porter-Cable
pancake compressor and wondered if anybody has used it to power a roofing
gun:

http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=6192

If you have used it for either serious framing or roofing, how well did
it work? Thanks.

Mike D.

It works fine for my uses, but I'm not in the "serious" category doing
such work. If I put 3 or 4 nails into framing without a pause, that is
normal. If you expect to bang in 100 nails down the line, go bigger. If
you are doing the roof yourself, it will easily keep up. For Joe
Weekender, it is sufficient, but for a pro, marginal. It is not made for
a roofing crew.

My wife and I make up our roofing crew, with her laying out the shingles and
me nailing. When I get to sheeting (laying plywood on the roof or floor) I
can be pretty fast, one row of nails in less than 2 seconds, and then
another 2-3 seconds to line up for the next row of nails across the 4' run,
nails about every 4-6 inches.