Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Advice on new or used central air heat pump for home

Looking at replacing our 15 yr old 3 ton Trane (10 seer) with a new 3
1/2 ton 14 seer American Standard or Trane with a variable speed air
handler. Reasons are mainly to save energy both cooling and heating
costs. Our current heat is (3) 5k strips. We live in the southeast so
a heat pump would be the best way to go. So far quotes are $4K to
$4,500. I am seeing deals on 3 yr old and newer units on Ebay and
Craigslists for $800 and less. I have been quoted by one source an
installation charge of $1000 - labor only if I provide the system.
Anyone have experience doing this? Perhaps we could buy an aftermarket
warranty? Things are pretty tight budget wise - thanks, Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Bill wrote:
Looking at replacing our 15 yr old 3 ton Trane (10 seer) with a new 3
1/2 ton 14 seer American Standard or Trane with a variable speed air
handler. Reasons are mainly to save energy both cooling and heating
costs. Our current heat is (3) 5k strips. We live in the southeast so
a heat pump would be the best way to go. So far quotes are $4K to
$4,500. I am seeing deals on 3 yr old and newer units on Ebay and
Craigslists for $800 and less. I have been quoted by one source an
installation charge of $1000 - labor only if I provide the system.
Anyone have experience doing this? Perhaps we could buy an aftermarket
warranty? Things are pretty tight budget wise - thanks, Bill

Often the cheapest system is the one you already have. It's hard to
justify replacing a system on the basis of energy savings alone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in message
oups.com...
Looking at replacing our 15 yr old 3 ton Trane (10 seer) with a new 3
1/2 ton 14 seer American Standard or Trane with a variable speed air
handler. Reasons are mainly to save energy both cooling and heating
costs.

Why are you going larger? If not needed, it may cost you more to operate
and not work as well if it is oversized. If it was undersized to start,
different story. More is not better with AC.

Do some number crunching. It can take a long time to recover $4000 in
costs. If you are spending $2400 a year and save 10%, it will take 16 years
to break even and at that point, it may be worn out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in message
oups.com...
Looking at replacing our 15 yr old 3 ton Trane (10 seer) with a new 3
1/2 ton 14 seer American Standard or Trane with a variable speed air
handler. Reasons are mainly to save energy both cooling and heating
costs. Our current heat is (3) 5k strips. We live in the southeast so
a heat pump would be the best way to go. So far quotes are $4K to
$4,500. I am seeing deals on 3 yr old and newer units on Ebay and
Craigslists for $800 and less. I have been quoted by one source an
installation charge of $1000 - labor only if I provide the system.
Anyone have experience doing this? Perhaps we could buy an aftermarket
warranty? Things are pretty tight budget wise - thanks, Bill

Save money till you can afford to purchase a new system.

Why purchase soemthing YOU THINK works, only to get a POS?
Then it will have no warranty!

Most companies that WILL install your equipment, are not the ones I'd want
to install/service my equipment!

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 20:04:59 -0700, Bill wrote:

Looking at replacing our 15 yr old 3 ton Trane (10 seer) with a new 3
1/2 ton 14 seer American Standard or Trane with a variable speed air
handler. Reasons are mainly to save energy both cooling and heating
costs. Our current heat is (3) 5k strips. We live in the southeast so
a heat pump would be the best way to go. So far quotes are $4K to
$4,500. I am seeing deals on 3 yr old and newer units on Ebay and
Craigslists for $800 and less. I have been quoted by one source an
installation charge of $1000 - labor only if I provide the system.
Anyone have experience doing this? Perhaps we could buy an aftermarket
warranty? Things are pretty tight budget wise - thanks, Bill

Besides other things, you have to consider in the cost of purchase the
money you could earn on the price. If you pay even only 2000 dollars,
in a simple savings account that would earn 100 to 150 dollars a year
depending on what happens to interest rates. If it's in blue-chip
stocks, you might earn twice that, minus commissions. I don't know
what CDs pay these days.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 00:43:07 -0400, mm
wrote:

Besides other things, you have to consider in the cost of purchase the
money you could earn on the price. If you pay even only 2000 dollars,
in a simple savings account that would earn 100 to 150 dollars a year
depending on what happens to interest rates. If it's in blue-chip
stocks, you might earn twice that, minus commissions.

I think I over stated this one. I picked blue-chip because they are
safe. Find out what they pay and figure you might be earning that,
plus appreciation.

I don't know
what CDs pay these days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dear Bill,
You are making all the classic home owner mistakes.

1) You really don't know what size equipment is needed for your
home. You're just guessing.
2) You think you know what kind of equipment you need, but aren't
sure.
3) You're going to be a total PIA customer, by providing the
equipment and then wanting a super discount price from the
installer.

Here's what happens:
1) You get the wrong sized equipment. I've been around enough
home owners to know how this works.
2) You likely will get some type of equipment that's not suited
to your purpose.
3) Since you don't pay enough for the install, you'll get the
quickest and crappiest install you ever saw in your life.

My crystal ball says you're destined for 20 years of crappy
service from the system, and you'll pay twice as much because of
all the return calls and service calls. People like you seem to
thrive on being in control, and saving money. You're in for some
serious problems.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Bill" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

My crystal ball says you're destined for 20 years of crappy
service from the system,

My crystal ball says his system won't last that long. LOL