Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Advice on new or used central air heat pump for home

"Bill" wrote in message
oups.com...
Looking at replacing our 15 yr old 3 ton Trane (10 seer) with a new 3
1/2 ton 14 seer American Standard or Trane with a variable speed air
handler. Reasons are mainly to save energy both cooling and heating
costs. Our current heat is (3) 5k strips. We live in the southeast so
a heat pump would be the best way to go. So far quotes are $4K to
$4,500. I am seeing deals on 3 yr old and newer units on Ebay and
Craigslists for $800 and less. I have been quoted by one source an
installation charge of $1000 - labor only if I provide the system.
Anyone have experience doing this? Perhaps we could buy an aftermarket
warranty? Things are pretty tight budget wise - thanks, Bill

Save money till you can afford to purchase a new system.

Why purchase soemthing YOU THINK works, only to get a POS?
Then it will have no warranty!

Most companies that WILL install your equipment, are not the ones I'd want
to install/service my equipment!