Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Advice on new or used central air heat pump for home

Dear Bill,
You are making all the classic home owner mistakes.

1) You really don't know what size equipment is needed for your
home. You're just guessing.
2) You think you know what kind of equipment you need, but aren't
sure.
3) You're going to be a total PIA customer, by providing the
equipment and then wanting a super discount price from the
installer.

Here's what happens:
1) You get the wrong sized equipment. I've been around enough
home owners to know how this works.
2) You likely will get some type of equipment that's not suited
to your purpose.
3) Since you don't pay enough for the install, you'll get the
quickest and crappiest install you ever saw in your life.

My crystal ball says you're destined for 20 years of crappy
service from the system, and you'll pay twice as much because of
all the return calls and service calls. People like you seem to
thrive on being in control, and saving money. You're in for some
serious problems.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Bill" wrote in message
oups.com...
: Looking at replacing our 15 yr old 3 ton Trane (10 seer) with a
new 3
: 1/2 ton 14 seer American Standard or Trane with a variable
speed air
: handler. Reasons are mainly to save energy both cooling and
heating
: costs. Our current heat is (3) 5k strips. We live in the
southeast so
: a heat pump would be the best way to go. So far quotes are $4K
: $4,500. I am seeing deals on 3 yr old and newer units on Ebay
and
: Craigslists for $800 and less. I have been quoted by one source
an
: installation charge of $1000 - labor only if I provide the
system.
: Anyone have experience doing this? Perhaps we could buy an
aftermarket
: warranty? Things are pretty tight budget wise - thanks, Bill
: