Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Followup on fence next door

My next door, townhouse, neighbors, who wanted the 6 foot fence around
their backyard, and next to mine, that I refused to sign off on, put
their home up for sale today.

It's not because they can't have the fence. They've always wanted a
single family house. (They have two little kids. She's working in DC
now to make more money, but she has to leave by 6AM, and it's still an
hour each way.)

This was what I expected, if I approved the fence, they'd build it,
move, and I'd be stuck with it.

They didn't seem mad at me when I refused to sign, but it's hard to
tell.

So I wish they were staying but the fence worked out well, until the
next guy wants it.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 13, 10:50?pm, mm wrote:
My next door, townhouse, neighbors, who wanted the 6 foot fence around
their backyard, and next to mine, that I refused to sign off on, put
their home up for sale today.

It's not because they can't have the fence. They've always wanted a
single family house. (They have two little kids. She's working in DC
now to make more money, but she has to leave by 6AM, and it's still an
hour each way.)

This was what I expected, if I approved the fence, they'd build it,
move, and I'd be stuck with it.

They didn't seem mad at me when I refused to sign, but it's hard to
tell.

So I wish they were staying but the fence worked out well, until the
next guy wants it.....

you choose communal living in a condo...... this stuff is voluntraily
your choice

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 13, 10:50 pm, mm wrote:
My next door, townhouse, neighbors, who wanted the 6 foot fence around
their backyard, and next to mine, that I refused to sign off on, put
their home up for sale today.

It's not because they can't have the fence. They've always wanted a
single family house. (They have two little kids. She's working in DC
now to make more money, but she has to leave by 6AM, and it's still an
hour each way.)

This was what I expected, if I approved the fence, they'd build it,
move, and I'd be stuck with it.

They didn't seem mad at me when I refused to sign, but it's hard to
tell.

So I wish they were staying but the fence worked out well, until the
next guy wants it.....

Huh? That makes no sense. I can understand either liking or not
liking a taller fence, but it sounds like you wouldn't have a problem
with the higher fence with people you like, but the unknown next owner
warrants a lower fence? Most times people would think exactly the
opposite. Lower fence for people you like, higher for those you don't
like or don't know. Am I missing something in the translation?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 12:06:31 -0700, RicodJour
wrote:

On Jul 13, 10:50 pm, mm wrote:
[...]

No, no. I didn't agree to their higher fence, and they don't have
one. Oh, I see. I said, "[They're not leaving] because they couldn't
have the fence." True. They're leaving for a biggger house, but they
couldn't have the fence. (and they probably appreciate not having
spent the money, since they're leaving anyhow.)

but the unknown next owner
warrants a lower fence?

Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned a future n'bor. It's not very
likely that he'll want a taller fence. And I can prevent it like I
did this time. I was just thinking that the saga of getting along
with the neighbors continues.

This fence thing was the only problem I ever had with him or his wife
(who lived here first, for a total of may be 10 years, including after
she got married.) and that's pretty good. He helped me with things
and I helped him and it was nice.

Most times people would think exactly the
opposite. Lower fence for people you like, higher for those you don't
like or don't know. Am I missing something in the translation?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 16:15:12 -0000, "
wrote:

On Jul 13, 10:50?pm, mm wrote:
My next door, townhouse, neighbors, who wanted the 6 foot fence around
their backyard, and next to mine, that I refused to sign off on, put
their home up for sale today.

It's not because they can't have the fence. They've always wanted a
single family house. (They have two little kids. She's working in DC
now to make more money, but she has to leave by 6AM, and it's still an
hour each way.)

This was what I expected, if I approved the fence, they'd build it,
move, and I'd be stuck with it.

They didn't seem mad at me when I refused to sign, but it's hard to
tell.

So I wish they were staying but the fence worked out well, until the
next guy wants it.....

you choose communal living in a condo...... this stuff is voluntraily
your choice

I wasn't complainging, I was just telling a story, a follow-up on
something from months ago.

It's not a condo, it's a HOA, and I had the right to stop the fence
and I did. This is about the other stuff.

We hear lots of problems with neighbors of people who have fully
separate houses. Just last week here one of them tried to kill a tree
they shared. I wouldn't want a non-townhouset neighbor to have a 6
foot fence either. Where I grew up on a city street, there were no
fences at all, front or back.

Unless one lives alone in the woods, everyone has neighbors.