Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default OT, but electronic

dpb wrote:

aemeijers wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:54:51 GMT, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

(snip)

I have a salvaged set (keepers) of RAM. Four 1/4 meg sticks, equals
1MB of RAM. You guys are old G.

Pish. I remember the 256k sticks as new ...

Well, if we're remembering, I remember when all memory was core...

--

I guess you're too young to remember mercury delay lines, then.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Mark Lloyd wrote:

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:54:51 GMT, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
Mark Lloyd wrote:

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 15:10:02 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 17:08:46 -0400, mm
wrote:

I've been using an external modem** and last night 2 or 3 times I got
connection speeds of 4800. Not 48,000 but 4800! I think my first
modem was 4800.

9600 baud was the first standard, right?

Not right. I have some information on modem standards and rates,
copied from a computer magazine:

Bell 103J (US) - 300

Boy that brings back old times. PCjr with a blazing 300. I was SOO
stoked when I upgraded to 1200 and 2400 was the absolute greatest thing
that happened.

I remember getting my first "high speed" 1200BPS modem.

Me, too. I think I paid about a thousand dollars for it. And that was
when a thousand dollars was a lot of money.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

CJT wrote:
dpb wrote:

wrote:

(snip)

I have a salvaged set (keepers) of RAM. Four 1/4 meg sticks, equals
1MB of RAM. You guys are old G.

Pish. I remember the 256k sticks as new ...

Well, if we're remembering, I remember when all memory was core...

--

I guess you're too young to remember mercury delay lines, then.

Never came across them, true...

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

dpb wrote:

CJT wrote:

dpb wrote:

wrote:

(snip)

I have a salvaged set (keepers) of RAM. Four 1/4 meg sticks, equals
1MB of RAM. You guys are old G.

Pish. I remember the 256k sticks as new ...

Well, if we're remembering, I remember when all memory was core...

--

I guess you're too young to remember mercury delay lines, then.

Never came across them, true...

--

To be fair, the only place I have encountered one is at the Smithsonian.

As I recall, they also have an example of a CRT memory device.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

DA had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ic-233871-.htm
:

mm wrote:

I've been using an external modem** and last night 2 or 3 times I got
connection speeds of 4800. Not 48,000 but 4800! I think my first
modem was 4800.

Today I couldn't connect at all. It said no modem. I turned it off***
and turned it back on. No good.

Turned it off from 90 minutes, and it worked again. Got to wonder
what will happen tomorrow.

***I should have been turning it off when I turned off the computer.
I could have plugged it into the UPS even, but after a few days I just
started leaving it on, for months.

**because for some reason I couldn't get two internal modems to work,
one that had been working the previous day on another mobo and one
that was new.

I don't have another external modem and don't want to buy one when I
have 3 internal modems. Maybe I can get one of them to work.

Since you've mentioned a UPS:

Those usually have modem surge protectors nowadays. If you had yours
plugged into a surge protector, remove that and plug it into the phone
line directly. Surge protectors can interfere with latest high speed modem
protocols.

Well, that said, however, it would be wise to disconnect your modem during
thunderstorms if you bypass a surge protector.

D~
\//.
-------------------------------------

News and Discussions Community of the Net
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

krw wrote:
There were drums before core, used as main memory. ...

That order would be contrary to everything I ever (at least thought) I
knew...taxonomy of the development would be interesting if so...

Neat bunch of people over on alt.folklore.computers, if you're into
this stuff. A lot of them were there at (or near) the beginnings.

I did poke around a little -- learned earliest drum memory did far
precede core in invention, but didn't really find out much about actual
relative times of implementation/widespread usage.

Sorta' interesting, but not _that_ interesting, so I quit...