DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT, but electronic (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/206378-ot-but-electronic.html)

mm July 13th 07 10:08 PM

OT, but electronic

I've been using an external modem** and last night 2 or 3 times I got
connection speeds of 4800. Not 48,000 but 4800! I think my first
modem was 4800.

Today I couldn't connect at all. It said no modem. I turned it off***
and turned it back on. No good.

Turned it off from 90 minutes, and it worked again. Got to wonder
what will happen tomorrow. :)

***I should have been turning it off when I turned off the computer.
I could have plugged it into the UPS even, but after a few days I just
started leaving it on, for months.

**because for some reason I couldn't get two internal modems to work,
one that had been working the previous day on another mobo and one
that was new.

I don't have another external modem and don't want to buy one when I
have 3 internal modems. Maybe I can get one of them to work.

Terry July 13th 07 10:31 PM

OT, but electronic

Try he
http://groups.google.com/group/comp....s?lnk=sg&hl=en

Tony Hwang July 13th 07 10:39 PM

OT, but electronic

mm wrote:

I've been using an external modem** and last night 2 or 3 times I got
connection speeds of 4800. Not 48,000 but 4800! I think my first
modem was 4800.

Today I couldn't connect at all. It said no modem. I turned it off***
and turned it back on. No good.

Turned it off from 90 minutes, and it worked again. Got to wonder
what will happen tomorrow. :)

***I should have been turning it off when I turned off the computer.
I could have plugged it into the UPS even, but after a few days I just
started leaving it on, for months.

**because for some reason I couldn't get two internal modems to work,
one that had been working the previous day on another mobo and one
that was new.

I don't have another external modem and don't want to buy one when I
have 3 internal modems. Maybe I can get one of them to work.

Hi,
If you know about Hayes modem protocol, you can run tests.
Google it. Does your PC sees the modem at least? Can you dial into it
from yoyr cell phone, etc. to see what happens.

Oren July 13th 07 11:10 PM

OT, but electronic

wrote:

I've been using an external modem** and last night 2 or 3 times I got
connection speeds of 4800. Not 48,000 but 4800! I think my first
modem was 4800.

9600 baud was the first standard, right?

Today I couldn't connect at all. It said no modem. I turned it off***
and turned it back on. No good.

I guess you have removed and then installed the modem drivers again.
Do the same with the COM ports in device manager and reboot.

Can you flash the modem EPROM? Check for a current flash software.

Check the phone line plug on the modem and ensure there is not a bunch
of dust affecting the line connection at the wall and modem. If so,
blow out with canned air.

Line noise can determine the quality of the connection speed for a
modem.

Turned it off from 90 minutes, and it worked again. Got to wonder
what will happen tomorrow. :)

***I should have been turning it off when I turned off the computer.
I could have plugged it into the UPS even, but after a few days I just
started leaving it on, for months.

**because for some reason I couldn't get two internal modems to work,
one that had been working the previous day on another mobo and one
that was new.

Disable COM ports 2,3 and 4 until you get COM 1 working - my guess or
check the BIOS to ensure the COM ports are enabled.

I take it you moved these modems from one machine to another.

I don't have another external modem and don't want to buy one when I
have 3 internal modems. Maybe I can get one of them to work.

Pull all but one, get it to work and then move to the next one.

Use the Hayes modem protocol to send commands to the modem, as
mentioned by Tony. (send the command to turn the speaker on so you can
get an idea of what is going on). You can do this in Hyper-Terminal
under Accessories Communication.

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..

Oren July 14th 07 12:01 AM

OT, but electronic

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 21:39:45 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

If you know about Hayes modem protocol, you can run tests.

That took me back a few days :-)

I just remembered ATDT.

jmagerl July 14th 07 12:16 AM

OT, but electronic

Pick up the phone and listen for noise. Punch a number to get the dial tone
to stop. Have you had rain recently? Water getting into the lines can
promote noise which kill modem performance

Mark Lloyd July 14th 07 12:49 AM

OT, but electronic

wrote:

I've been using an external modem** and last night 2 or 3 times I got
connection speeds of 4800. Not 48,000 but 4800! I think my first
modem was 4800.

9600 baud was the first standard, right?

Not right. I have some information on modem standards and rates,
copied from a computer magazine:

Bell 103J (US) - 300

Bell 212A (US) - 1200

ITU V.21 - 300

ITU V.22 - 1200

ITU V.22bis - 2400

ITU V.23 - 1200 / 75

ITU V.32 - 4.8k 7.2k 9.6k

ITU V.32bis - 4.8k 7.2k 9.6k 12k 14.4k

ITU V.32ter - 14.4k 16.8k 19.2k

ITU V.34 - 4.8k 7.2k 9.6k 12k 14.4k 16.8k 19.2k 21.6k 24k 26.4k 28.8k

ITU V.34+ - 4.8k 7.2k 9.6k 12k 14.4k 16.8k 19.2k 21.6k 24k 26.4k 28.8k
31.2k 33.6k

ITU V.90 down - 33.3k 37.3k 41.3k 42.7k 44k 45.3k 46.7k 48k 49.3k
50.7k 52k 53.3k 54.7k 56k 57.3k
ITU V.90 up - 4.8k 7.2k 9.6k 12k 14.4k 16.8k 19.2k 21.6k 24k 26.4k
28.8k 31.2k

ITU V.92 down - (same as V.90 down)
ITU V.92 up - 28k 29.3k 30.7k 32k 33.3k 34.7k 36k 37.3k 38.7k 40k
41.3k 42.7k 44k 45.3k 46.7k 48k

[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy

Kurt Ullman July 14th 07 12:54 AM

OT, but electronic

wrote:

I've been using an external modem** and last night 2 or 3 times I got
connection speeds of 4800. Not 48,000 but 4800! I think my first
modem was 4800.

9600 baud was the first standard, right?

Not right. I have some information on modem standards and rates,
copied from a computer magazine:

Bell 103J (US) - 300

Boy that brings back old times. PCjr with a blazing 300. I was SOO
stoked when I upgraded to 1200 and 2400 was the absolute greatest thing
that happened.

Oren July 14th 07 01:07 AM

OT, but electronic

wrote:

I've been using an external modem** and last night 2 or 3 times I got
connection speeds of 4800. Not 48,000 but 4800! I think my first
modem was 4800.

9600 baud was the first standard, right?

Not right. I have some information on modem standards and rates,
copied from a computer magazine:

I jumped in at 14.4k, cost hundreds back then. US Robotics 14.4k.

I just never knew how fast I really was then - given 300 - :-))

Oren July 14th 07 01:17 AM

OT, but electronic

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:54:51 GMT, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

wrote:

I've been using an external modem** and last night 2 or 3 times I got
connection speeds of 4800. Not 48,000 but 4800! I think my first
modem was 4800.

9600 baud was the first standard, right?

Not right. I have some information on modem standards and rates,
copied from a computer magazine:

Bell 103J (US) - 300

Boy that brings back old times. PCjr with a blazing 300. I was SOO
stoked when I upgraded to 1200 and 2400 was the absolute greatest thing
that happened.

I have a salvaged set (keepers) of RAM. Four 1/4 meg sticks, equals
1MB of RAM. You guys are old G.

Tony Hwang July 14th 07 01:29 AM

OT, but electronic

Oren wrote:

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 21:39:45 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

If you know about Hayes modem protocol, you can run tests.

That took me back a few days :-)

I just remembered ATDT.

--
Oren

Hmmm,
I remember acoustic modem you used to stick onto phone handset, LOL!

Terry July 14th 07 01:47 AM

OT, but electronic

wrote:

I've been using an external modem** and last night 2 or 3 times I got
connection speeds of 4800. Not 48,000 but 4800! I think my first
modem was 4800.

9600 baud was the first standard, right?

The first modem I had was 300 baud.
It had a cradle for the handset. :)

Oren July 14th 07 01:50 AM

OT, but electronic

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 00:29:47 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

I remember acoustic modem you used to stick onto phone handset, LOL!

I'm not that old or experienced then, but this is funny!!

Gotta change the 5.25 floppy to run spell checker... 2MB RAM. Maybe
those days were DOS 2 - 3.x.

How did you ever survive :-) ?

CJT July 14th 07 01:57 AM

OT, but electronic

Oren wrote:
snip
9600 baud was the first standard, right?

snip

Nope. There were 300 baud, 110 (or was it 150?) baud, and maybe even
some before those.

CJT July 14th 07 02:01 AM

OT, but electronic

Oren wrote:

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:54:51 GMT, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

wrote:

I've been using an external modem** and last night 2 or 3 times I got
connection speeds of 4800. Not 48,000 but 4800! I think my first
modem was 4800.

9600 baud was the first standard, right?

Not right. I have some information on modem standards and rates,
copied from a computer magazine:

Bell 103J (US) - 300

Boy that brings back old times. PCjr with a blazing 300. I was SOO
stoked when I upgraded to 1200 and 2400 was the absolute greatest thing
that happened.

I have a salvaged set (keepers) of RAM. Four 1/4 meg sticks, equals
1MB of RAM. You guys are old G.

I still have a 1K board, about 4" by 6" from my SWTP 6800.

For that matter, I think I've got a plane of core around here someplace.

--
Oren

CJT July 14th 07 02:03 AM

OT, but electronic

Oren wrote:

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 00:29:47 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

I remember acoustic modem you used to stick onto phone handset, LOL!

I'm not that old or experienced then, but this is funny!!

Gotta change the 5.25 floppy to run spell checker... 2MB RAM. Maybe
those days were DOS 2 - 3.x.

How did you ever survive :-) ?

I was thrilled when I could finally afford a paper tape reader/punch.

--
Oren

Oren July 14th 07 02:26 AM

OT, but electronic

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 01:03:19 GMT, CJT wrote:

Oren wrote:

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 00:29:47 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

I remember acoustic modem you used to stick onto phone handset, LOL!

I'm not that old or experienced then, but this is funny!!

Gotta change the 5.25 floppy to run spell checker... 2MB RAM. Maybe
those days were DOS 2 - 3.x.

How did you ever survive :-) ?

I was thrilled when I could finally afford a paper tape reader/punch.

The early stages of killing the Pony Express, heh!

Smarty July 14th 07 02:35 AM

OT, but electronic

I've got 8 flip-flops and the computer that used them which I built for the
science fair in 1962......each flip flop was on a PCB card about 2 inches by
4 inches...

Smarty

"CJT" wrote in message
Oren wrote:

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:54:51 GMT, Kurt Ullman

CJT July 14th 07 02:48 AM

OT, but electronic

Smarty wrote:
I've got 8 flip-flops and the computer that used them which I built for the
science fair in 1962......each flip flop was on a PCB card about 2 inches by
4 inches...

As I recall, my first flip-flop was based on a 6SN7.

Smarty

"CJT" wrote in message

Oren wrote:

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:54:51 GMT, Kurt Ullman

PaPaPeng July 14th 07 03:03 AM

OT, but electronic

wrote:

I've been using an external modem** and last night 2 or 3 times I got
connection speeds of 4800. Not 48,000 but 4800! I think my first
modem was 4800.

Today I couldn't connect at all. It said no modem. I turned it off***
and turned it back on. No good.

Its just a theoretical argument. Since the latest generation of
communications hardware runs in megabit speeds it will have error
checking algorithms. If it doesn't receive the correct response
within a number of microseconds it will try again and after X number
of tries it will drop the connection as faulty. This test treshold
takes less than a second. First generation modems won't pass it.

dpb July 14th 07 03:22 AM

OT, but electronic

CJT wrote:
Oren wrote:

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 00:29:47 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

I remember acoustic modem you used to stick onto phone handset, LOL!

I'm not that old or experienced then, but this is funny!!

Gotta change the 5.25 floppy to run spell checker... 2MB RAM. Maybe
those days were DOS 2 - 3.x.

How did you ever survive :-) ?

I was thrilled when I could finally afford a paper tape reader/punch.

Ah, yes, the days of the 3-pass paper-tape compiler...

I was thrilled when finally got a rotating drum and could get away from
all mass storage being 7-track tape...

mm July 14th 07 04:20 AM

OT, but electronic

wrote:

I've been using an external modem** and last night 2 or 3 times I got
connection speeds of 4800. Not 48,000 but 4800! I think my first
modem was 4800.

Today I couldn't connect at all. It said no modem. I turned it off***
and turned it back on. No good.

Turned it off from 90 minutes, and it worked again. Got to wonder
what will happen tomorrow. :)

I've saved all the replies. Thank you all.

But I'm not going to do anything until the next time it doesn't work.
I realize now that I wasn't clear -- I apologize -- but I actually
wasn't asking for help, just telling you how it stopped working and
then seemed to work again after being without power for a while. I
thought that would be an incident useful to know about.

I should add, that before I turned it off for 90 minutes, I turned it
off for about 30 seconds and it didnt' work when I turned it on.

And that months ago, I had turned it off for only 5 or 10 seconds on
occasion and that it would work fine when turned on again.

So it seems like being off-power for 90 minutes really helped.

If it had just stopped working, that would have been less interesting,
but I thought the 4800 connections the night before were interesting.

It's still working now. I disconnected and reconnected once since I
first posted.

Thanks again.

mm July 14th 07 04:20 AM

OT, but electronic

wrote:

Boy that brings back old times. PCjr with a blazing 300. I was SOO
stoked when I upgraded to 1200 and 2400 was the absolute greatest thing
that happened.

I had a PcJr. for like 11 years, but didn't have a modem until maybe I
borrowed one the last month, and had no one to call.

I think my first modem I used was 1200, and it was fast enough for
email and usenet iirc.

mm July 14th 07 04:22 AM

OT, but electronic

wrote:

I've been using an external modem** and last night 2 or 3 times I got
connection speeds of 4800. Not 48,000 but 4800! I think my first
modem was 4800.

Today I couldn't connect at all. It said no modem. I turned it off***
and turned it back on. No good.

Its just a theoretical argument. Since the latest generation of
communications hardware runs in megabit speeds it will have error
checking algorithms. If it doesn't receive the correct response
within a number of microseconds it will try again and after X number
of tries it will drop the connection as faulty. This test treshold
takes less than a second. First generation modems won't pass it.

I forgot to say that too. This wasn't a first generation modem, it was
56K v.90 or 92.

William Underhill July 14th 07 04:54 AM

OT, but electronic

CJT wrote:
Oren wrote:
snip
9600 baud was the first standard, right?

snip

Nope. There were 300 baud, 110 (or was it 150?) baud, and maybe even
some before those.

75 and 150 baud - old Model 33 teletype modems. I are official old. :-D

Yours aye,
W. Underhill

--
"Take sides! Always take sides! You may sometimes be wrong - but the man
who refuses to take sides must *always* be wrong! Heaven save us from

mm July 14th 07 05:13 AM

OT, but electronic

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 17:50:49 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 00:29:47 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

I remember acoustic modem you used to stick onto phone handset, LOL!

I'm not that old or experienced then, but this is funny!!

Gotta change the 5.25 floppy to run spell checker... 2MB RAM. Maybe
those days were DOS 2 - 3.x.

How did you ever survive :-) ?

It was rough. And the fighting with the Indians.

Some of them had Winchesters with DOS 4.

Kurt Ullman July 14th 07 12:35 PM

OT, but electronic

wrote:

Boy that brings back old times. PCjr with a blazing 300. I was SOO
stoked when I upgraded to 1200 and 2400 was the absolute greatest thing
that happened.

I had a PcJr. for like 11 years, but didn't have a modem until maybe I
borrowed one the last month, and had no one to call.

I think my first modem I used was 1200, and it was fast enough for
email and usenet iirc.

I was up to the 2400 before Usenet was available to me. The 300 was
adequate for RIME and FIDO BBS .

John July 14th 07 01:46 PM

OT, but electronic

wrote:

I've been using an external modem** and last night 2 or 3 times I got
connection speeds of 4800. Not 48,000 but 4800! I think my first
modem was 4800.

9600 baud was the first standard, right?
--

Oren

I remember when the "experts" said 1200 baud was the maximum speed that
could ever be achieved over regular phone lines, that it was physically
and logically impossible to go faster.

John

John July 14th 07 01:51 PM

OT, but electronic

CJT wrote:
Oren wrote:
snip
9600 baud was the first standard, right?

snip

Nope. There were 300 baud, 110 (or was it 150?) baud, and maybe even
some before those.

I seem to recall a 75 baud in the early 70s for printers, which were the
terminals back then. (There were vicious arguments over which was
better, a hardcopy terminal or a CRT. I always wondered what happened
to those hardcopy people!)

John

aemeijers July 14th 07 01:54 PM

OT, but electronic

"Oren" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:54:51 GMT, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

(snip)

I have a salvaged set (keepers) of RAM. Four 1/4 meg sticks, equals
1MB of RAM. You guys are old G.

Pish. I remember the 256k sticks as new and hi-tech- a big leap up from the
tubes of loose chips we had been using- first 9 chips (for $30) to make a
64k bank, and then the leap to 9 chips making a 256k bank.

I used to keep a 'visual aids' drawer at work with samples of all the
generations of memory chips, and of CPUs, to show to new kids coming in. One
day, some self-appointed arbiter of stuff to keep (stuff she used) vs. junk
(stuff she didn't recognize) pitched it all. Some people are only alive
because killing them isn't worth doing time over....

aem sends....

dpb July 14th 07 02:26 PM

OT, but electronic

aemeijers wrote:
"Oren" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:54:51 GMT, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

(snip)
I have a salvaged set (keepers) of RAM. Four 1/4 meg sticks, equals
1MB of RAM. You guys are old G.

Pish. I remember the 256k sticks as new ...

Well, if we're remembering, I remember when all memory was core...

dpb July 14th 07 02:27 PM

OT, but electronic

John wrote:
CJT wrote:
Oren wrote:
snip
9600 baud was the first standard, right?

snip

Nope. There were 300 baud, 110 (or was it 150?) baud, and maybe even
some before those.

I seem to recall a 75 baud in the early 70s for printers, which were the
terminals back then. (There were vicious arguments over which was
better, a hardcopy terminal or a CRT. I always wondered what happened
to those hardcopy people!)

We're still here... :)

Mark Lloyd July 14th 07 02:46 PM

OT, but electronic

Oren wrote:

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 21:39:45 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

If you know about Hayes modem protocol, you can run tests.

That took me back a few days :-)

I just remembered ATDT.

--
Oren

Hmmm,
I remember acoustic modem you used to stick onto phone handset, LOL!

IIRC, the Bell 212A standard (1200 BPS) was designed to not work well
with acoustic couplers like 103J (300BPS) was.

Mark Lloyd July 14th 07 02:48 PM

OT, but electronic

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:54:51 GMT, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

wrote:

I've been using an external modem** and last night 2 or 3 times I got
connection speeds of 4800. Not 48,000 but 4800! I think my first
modem was 4800.

9600 baud was the first standard, right?

Not right. I have some information on modem standards and rates,
copied from a computer magazine:

Bell 103J (US) - 300

Boy that brings back old times. PCjr with a blazing 300. I was SOO
stoked when I upgraded to 1200 and 2400 was the absolute greatest thing
that happened.

I remember getting my first "high speed" 1200BPS modem.

Mark Lloyd July 14th 07 02:53 PM

OT, but electronic

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 12:54:29 GMT, "aemeijers"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:54:51 GMT, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

(snip)

I have a salvaged set (keepers) of RAM. Four 1/4 meg sticks, equals
1MB of RAM. You guys are old G.

Pish. I remember the 256k sticks as new and hi-tech- a big leap up from the
tubes of loose chips we had been using- first 9 chips (for $30) to make a
64k bank, and then the leap to 9 chips making a 256k bank.

When I bought an extra 24K for my VIC20 (about 1983), it came on a big
cartridge (12 big RAM chips and a couple of decoder chips). It cost
$150. That's more than my more recent purchase of a 512MB PC3200
module.

Mark Lloyd July 14th 07 02:56 PM

OT, but electronic

wrote:

Boy that brings back old times. PCjr with a blazing 300. I was SOO
stoked when I upgraded to 1200 and 2400 was the absolute greatest thing
that happened.

I had a PcJr. for like 11 years, but didn't have a modem until maybe I
borrowed one the last month, and had no one to call.

I think my first modem I used was 1200, and it was fast enough for
email and usenet iirc.

I remember that 300 would receive text nearly as fast as a lot of
people can read. That is, if you don't have to stop to figure
something out, as in one place where someone confused "gravity" with
"gravidity".

Mark Lloyd July 14th 07 03:10 PM

OT, but electronic

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 00:57:37 GMT, CJT wrote:

Oren wrote:
snip
9600 baud was the first standard, right?

snip

Nope. There were 300 baud, 110 (or was it 150?) baud, and maybe even
some before those.

I found the following baud rates listed in some UART documentation:

50
75
134.5
150
300
600
1,200
1,800
2,400
3,600
4,800
7,200
9,600
19,200
38,400
57,600
115,200

Source: documentation for Commodore 6551 and those used in the PC.

Smarty July 14th 07 03:24 PM

OT, but electronic

A 6SN7 sounds like a good triode for making flip flops. Just would not want
to wait for my computer to "warm up" before I could start computing......
(-:

"CJT" wrote in message

Oren wrote:

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:54:51 GMT, Kurt Ullman

Jim Yanik July 14th 07 06:45 PM

OT, but electronic

dpb wrote in :

aemeijers wrote:
"Oren" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:54:51 GMT, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

(snip)
I have a salvaged set (keepers) of RAM. Four 1/4 meg sticks, equals
1MB of RAM. You guys are old G.

Pish. I remember the 256k sticks as new ...

Well, if we're remembering, I remember when all memory was core...

--

Space Shuttle upgraded from core memory only recently,IIRC.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

krw July 14th 07 07:22 PM

OT, but electronic

In article ,
says...
dpb wrote in :

aemeijers wrote:
"Oren" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:54:51 GMT, Kurt Ullman
wrote:
(snip)
I have a salvaged set (keepers) of RAM. Four 1/4 meg sticks, equals
1MB of RAM. You guys are old G.

Pish. I remember the 256k sticks as new ...

Well, if we're remembering, I remember when all memory was core...

--

Space Shuttle upgraded from core memory only recently,IIRC.

1990.

--
Keith