Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default OT, but electronic

Mark Lloyd wrote:

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:54:51 GMT, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
Mark Lloyd wrote:

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 15:10:02 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 17:08:46 -0400, mm
wrote:

I've been using an external modem** and last night 2 or 3 times I got
connection speeds of 4800. Not 48,000 but 4800! I think my first
modem was 4800.

9600 baud was the first standard, right?

Not right. I have some information on modem standards and rates,
copied from a computer magazine:

Bell 103J (US) - 300

Boy that brings back old times. PCjr with a blazing 300. I was SOO
stoked when I upgraded to 1200 and 2400 was the absolute greatest thing
that happened.

I remember getting my first "high speed" 1200BPS modem.

Me, too. I think I paid about a thousand dollars for it. And that was
when a thousand dollars was a lot of money.