Posted to alt.home.repair

Default shower floor draining slow when water is off

As of now there is water pooling after the water shuts off on a single
16x16 ceramic porcelain tile in my not quite finished shower. The
drain is close to the wall where the valve is and all surrounding
tiles are almost a full bubble of slope. However the tile that is
getting the pooling is only a quarter bubble at most. I am grouted
but not sealed. Should I pop tiles and redo? The water eventually
drains or dries but takes 15-20 minutes at least. Any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
As of now there is water pooling after the water shuts off on a single
16x16 ceramic porcelain tile in my not quite finished shower. The
drain is close to the wall where the valve is and all surrounding
tiles are almost a full bubble of slope. However the tile that is
getting the pooling is only a quarter bubble at most. I am grouted
but not sealed. Should I pop tiles and redo? The water eventually
drains or dries but takes 15-20 minutes at least. Any suggestions?

I'd just wipe the water off that tile with my foot and go about my day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Jul, 11:20, wrote:
As of now there is water pooling after the water shuts off on a single
16x16 ceramic porcelain tile in my not quite finished shower. The
drain is close to the wall where the valve is and all surrounding
tiles are almost a full bubble of slope. However the tile that is
getting the pooling is only a quarter bubble at most. I am grouted
but not sealed. Should I pop tiles and redo? The water eventually
drains or dries but takes 15-20 minutes at least. Any suggestions?

Aside from the technical aspects of the situation - one bubble vs. a
quarter bubble - consider the emotional aspects.

How much are you going to hate seeing the water pool on that one tile
every time you take a shower? Some people can live with it, while it
will drive other people absolutely nuts. Decide which one you are and
proceed accordingly.

Me, I'd be popping tiles in a second.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 11, 9:23 am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 11 Jul, 11:20, wrote:

As of now there is water pooling after the water shuts off on a single
16x16 ceramic porcelain tile in my not quite finished shower. The
drain is close to the wall where the valve is and all surrounding
tiles are almost a full bubble of slope. However the tile that is
getting the pooling is only a quarter bubble at most. I am grouted
but not sealed. Should I pop tiles and redo? The water eventually
drains or dries but takes 15-20 minutes at least. Any suggestions?

Aside from the technical aspects of the situation - one bubble vs. a
quarter bubble - consider the emotional aspects.

How much are you going to hate seeing the water pool on that one tile
every time you take a shower? Some people can live with it, while it
will drive other people absolutely nuts. Decide which one you are and
proceed accordingly.

Me, I'd be popping tiles in a second.

What are the chances of breaking other tiles in the process?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 11 Jul, 11:20, wrote:
As of now there is water pooling after the water shuts off on a single
16x16 ceramic porcelain tile in my not quite finished shower. The
drain is close to the wall where the valve is and all surrounding
tiles are almost a full bubble of slope. However the tile that is
getting the pooling is only a quarter bubble at most. I am grouted
but not sealed. Should I pop tiles and redo? The water eventually
drains or dries but takes 15-20 minutes at least. Any suggestions?

Aside from the technical aspects of the situation - one bubble vs. a
quarter bubble - consider the emotional aspects.

How much are you going to hate seeing the water pool on that one tile
every time you take a shower? Some people can live with it, while it
will drive other people absolutely nuts. Decide which one you are and
proceed accordingly.

Me, I'd be popping tiles in a second.

Nonsense. Jack up the house to improve the drainage angle. This is so
obviuos.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Jul, 11:20, wrote:

As of now there is water pooling after the water shuts off on a single
16x16 ceramic porcelain tile in my not quite finished shower. The
drain is close to the wall where the valve is and all surrounding
tiles are almost a full bubble of slope. However the tile that is
getting the pooling is only a quarter bubble at most. I am grouted
but not sealed. Should I pop tiles and redo? The water eventually
drains or dries but takes 15-20 minutes at least. Any suggestions?

Aside from the technical aspects of the situation - one bubble vs. a
quarter bubble - consider the emotional aspects.

How much are you going to hate seeing the water pool on that one tile
every time you take a shower? Some people can live with it, while it
will drive other people absolutely nuts. Decide which one you are and
proceed accordingly.

Me, I'd be popping tiles in a second.

What are the chances of breaking other tiles in the process?- Hide quoted text -

I've installed tile, but I've never had the pleasure of having to
remove just one tile in the middle of a floor.

From what I know, I don't see much danger in damaging other tiles.

Remove the grout, crack the offending tile, remove the pieces and
replace it with one from the 10% extra you bought when you spec'd the
job.

See here for detailed instructions:
http://tinyurl.com/yt9trr

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Jul, 11:20, wrote:

[...]

I am something of a mad perfectionist about my work, but.......Valium
would be cheaper ) If it drains dry in 15 min. (who times it?) I don't
see a problem with leaving as is. Tearing out all of the tile to redo
it would be a royal pain...any chance that might crack the pan or the
drain? If the water stood longer, it could become a mildew problem, but
it sounds like it would not remain long enough. Doing a partial re-do
would probably leave you with grout areas that don't match. And you
probably wipe down the whole shower after using them, right?

slow draining shower alath Home Repair 12 June 7th 07 03:19 AM
SLOW DRAINING C A Home Repair 4 April 19th 07 02:18 PM
Hot water hammer, slow flow after draining water heater. RJG Home Repair 4 March 22nd 07 06:19 PM
Water Heater: Slow Heating Of Water Problem. Draining/Flushing Help ? Robert11 Home Repair 9 March 22nd 05 02:28 AM
Central Heating water draining very slow Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt UK diy 7 May 18th 04 10:43 PM