Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical pole going o box on side of house

The electrical (steel pole) going to the electric meter on the side of
my house looks really bad. It's gotten pretty rusty over the years.
The wires come in at the top above the overhang and I plan on staying
really far away from that part. The question I have is for the rest
of the pole below the overhang and above the meter. What is the best
way to paint it? I was planning on sanding it down wipe it clean and
then use rustoleum primer and then paint. Is this the best way to
paint it?

Thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
message ups.com...
The electrical (steel pole) going to the electric meter on the side of
my house looks really bad. It's gotten pretty rusty over the years.
The wires come in at the top above the overhang and I plan on staying
really far away from that part. The question I have is for the rest
of the pole below the overhang and above the meter. What is the best
way to paint it? I was planning on sanding it down wipe it clean and
then use rustoleum primer and then paint. Is this the best way to
paint it?

That would be about how most people do it. Having said that- if the pipe to
the weather head is looking bad, probably be a good idea to take the
bird-watching binoculars and stare at the weather-head and the condition of
your service drop. If the weather seal where the wires poke out of the
upside-down-J thing has stuff hanging from it, or if the wires themselves
have visible shiny spots or shreds of insulation hanging off, time to call
power company to come look at it. Everything upstream of meter is their
problem, and they may change it all out down to the meter base free or at a
reduced cost. They would rather fix this stuff in sunshine on a slow summer
day, than at 2 in the morning in January, when an ice fall takes it down. If
they don't change the actual weather heads themselves (some do, some don't),
they will point you to an electrician that does.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 10, 10:36 pm, "
wrote:
The electrical (steel pole) going to the electric meter on the side of
my house looks really bad. It's gotten pretty rusty over the years.
The wires come in at the top above the overhang and I plan on staying
really far away from that part. The question I have is for the rest
of the pole below the overhang and above the meter. What is the best
way to paint it? I was planning on sanding it down wipe it clean and
then use rustoleum primer and then paint. Is this the best way to
paint it?

Thanks,

Regarding the rusty pipe. Sand it thoroughly and paint.

Our 200 amp 1970 'metal' service mast, which also projects above the
roof (to achieve a required 12 feet above ground for house service
wires) and then has a section of conduit below the meter socket down
to the conduit L into the basement where the main panel is located,
has always been painted using the same oil based red-brown stain that
is used on our pine clapboard siding. The outside of the meter housing
is also painted the same way.

As is also the metal pipe supporting post (steam pipe which came out
of a demolished building) for the front porch roof overhang. had
occasional light sanding and repainting/re-staining some four or five
times in 37 years. The oil based stain adheres well and is same colour
as house.

The meter socket and service mast (pipe) are mounted on the somewhat
exposed North East end of our house facing towards the Atlantic.

Mention all this because we did have 'internal' corrosion of the
assembly into which the utility provided meter plugs (not too unusual
apparently in this maritime climate), which necessitated the
replacement of the socket inside. We bought a complete new meter
mounting assembly and used its internals to replace the corroded one.
The utility recently changed the old style meter to a digital display
one without comment.

So strongly recommend some sort of of rust resistant paint or at least
something oil based; also paint the meter box. Once fixed don't let it
get rusty again.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

terry wrote:
On Jul 10, 10:36 pm, "
wrote:
The electrical (steel pole) going to the electric meter on the side of
my house looks really bad. It's gotten pretty rusty over the years.

...What is the best way to paint it? ...

Regarding the rusty pipe. Sand it thoroughly and paint.

You could do that, but a lot more effective and less work is to use one
of the rust converter products first, then paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 17:36:44 -0700,
" wrote:

The electrical (steel pole) going to the electric meter on the side of
my house looks really bad. It's gotten pretty rusty over the years.
The wires come in at the top above the overhang and I plan on staying
really far away from that part. The question I have is for the rest
of the pole below the overhang and above the meter. What is the best
way to paint it? I was planning on sanding it down wipe it clean and
then use rustoleum primer and then paint. Is this the best way to
paint it?

Thanks,

I'd say you are due for a new house. Tear down the house immediately
before it catches on fire. Dynamite works well, or a large bulldozer
can generally take down any house in one day or less. Or just set it
on fire and let it burn to the ground. That way you wont have to
worry about having a house fire. Once the old place is gone, build a
brand new house with new electric service. That's a lot easier than
trying to paint that bugger. Another option would be to have a
neighbors tree suddenly fall on your wires and rip them down. Then
the neighbor's insurance company will have to pay to replace all of
it. You can assist their tree in falling by using a chainsaw on it.
Just cut about 90% of the way thru the trunk. A strong wind will
finish the job.