Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Electrical pole going o box on side of house

On Jul 10, 10:36 pm, "
wrote:
The electrical (steel pole) going to the electric meter on the side of
my house looks really bad. It's gotten pretty rusty over the years.
The wires come in at the top above the overhang and I plan on staying
really far away from that part. The question I have is for the rest
of the pole below the overhang and above the meter. What is the best
way to paint it? I was planning on sanding it down wipe it clean and
then use rustoleum primer and then paint. Is this the best way to
paint it?

Thanks,

Regarding the rusty pipe. Sand it thoroughly and paint.

Our 200 amp 1970 'metal' service mast, which also projects above the
roof (to achieve a required 12 feet above ground for house service
wires) and then has a section of conduit below the meter socket down
to the conduit L into the basement where the main panel is located,
has always been painted using the same oil based red-brown stain that
is used on our pine clapboard siding. The outside of the meter housing
is also painted the same way.

As is also the metal pipe supporting post (steam pipe which came out
of a demolished building) for the front porch roof overhang. had
occasional light sanding and repainting/re-staining some four or five
times in 37 years. The oil based stain adheres well and is same colour
as house.

The meter socket and service mast (pipe) are mounted on the somewhat
exposed North East end of our house facing towards the Atlantic.

Mention all this because we did have 'internal' corrosion of the
assembly into which the utility provided meter plugs (not too unusual
apparently in this maritime climate), which necessitated the
replacement of the socket inside. We bought a complete new meter
mounting assembly and used its internals to replace the corroded one.
The utility recently changed the old style meter to a digital display
one without comment.

So strongly recommend some sort of of rust resistant paint or at least
something oil based; also paint the meter box. Once fixed don't let it
get rusty again.