Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Recharging Payne Air Conditioning Unit

Hello,
My home has a Payne 018-060-PA10 air conditioner unit, which does
not keep my house very cool. It is big enough for the house. The
problem is that the air which comes out of the vents is just not very
cold. I have been told that my system may need a recharge. I have
already checked and changed the air filter on the blower. The unit is
only 2 or 3 years old, and I've hardly used it, so I am assuming that
it needs a charge. So, here's the deal. I want to recharge it
myself. I don't know anything specifically about air conditioners,
but I am an engineer and I have lots of tools and instruments. Can
someone please explain to me a general synopsis of what I need to know
in order to recharge my AC.

thanks,
Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andrew wrote:

Hello,
My home has a Payne 018-060-PA10 air conditioner unit, which does
not keep my house very cool. It is big enough for the house. The
problem is that the air which comes out of the vents is just not very
cold. I have been told that my system may need a recharge. I have
already checked and changed the air filter on the blower. The unit is
only 2 or 3 years old, and I've hardly used it, so I am assuming that
it needs a charge. So, here's the deal. I want to recharge it
myself. I don't know anything specifically about air conditioners,
but I am an engineer and I have lots of tools and instruments. Can
someone please explain to me a general synopsis of what I need to know
in order to recharge my AC.

thanks,
Andy

The first thing you need to know is that you'll need to get a license to
buy the refrigerant... Blame it on the enviro-nuts and their bogus
claims of Freon (tm) doom and gloom...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andrew" wrote in message
ups.com...
So, here's the deal. I want to recharge it
myself. I don't know anything specifically about air conditioners,
but I am an engineer and I have lots of tools and instruments. Can
someone please explain to me a general synopsis of what I need to know
in order to recharge my AC.

So here's the deal. You can't. Unless you have a license, you can't buy
the refrigerant. You also need a couple of hundred bucks in equipment to do
the charge. There are gauges specific to refrigeration and charging.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andrew" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,
My home has a Payne 018-060-PA10 air conditioner unit, which does
not keep my house very cool. It is big enough for the house. The
problem is that the air which comes out of the vents is just not very
cold. I have been told that my system may need a recharge. I have
already checked and changed the air filter on the blower. The unit is
only 2 or 3 years old, and I've hardly used it, so I am assuming that
it needs a charge. So, here's the deal. I want to recharge it
myself. I don't know anything specifically about air conditioners,
but I am an engineer and I have lots of tools and instruments. Can
someone please explain to me a general synopsis of what I need to know
in order to recharge my AC.

thanks,
Andy

Oh great, I'm an engineer so that qualifies me to do just about anything.
rolleyes

First, do you have the required EPA certification?

Second, do you know how your coil is metered?

Third, Do you know what Superheat and Sub-cooling are for?

Hire a professional and let them do their job as you do yours.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andrew wrote:
Hello,
My home has a Payne 018-060-PA10 air conditioner unit, which does
not keep my house very cool. It is big enough for the house. The
problem is that the air which comes out of the vents is just not very
cold. I have been told that my system may need a recharge. I have
already checked and changed the air filter on the blower. The unit is
only 2 or 3 years old, and I've hardly used it, so I am assuming that
it needs a charge. So, here's the deal. I want to recharge it
myself. I don't know anything specifically about air conditioners,
but I am an engineer and I have lots of tools and instruments. Can
someone please explain to me a general synopsis of what I need to know
in order to recharge my AC.

thanks,
Andy

First, I would not just re-charging as a just incase thing. Find out
what the problem really is and address that problem. If it turns out to be
low charge, then hire someone who is trained and licensed to do that work,
has the tools to do it right and has the ability to buy the proper
materials.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andrew wrote:
Hello,
My home has a Payne 018-060-PA10 air conditioner unit, which does
not keep my house very cool. It is big enough for the house. The
problem is that the air which comes out of the vents is just not very
cold. I have been told that my system may need a recharge. I have
already checked and changed the air filter on the blower. The unit is
only 2 or 3 years old, and I've hardly used it, so I am assuming that
it needs a charge. So, here's the deal. I want to recharge it
myself. I don't know anything specifically about air conditioners,
but I am an engineer and I have lots of tools and instruments. Can
someone please explain to me a general synopsis of what I need to know
in order to recharge my AC.

thanks,
Andy

Added to what the others have said is that if the problem actually turns
out that the system may "need a recharge", then as an engineer you
should stop and think about WHERE the refrigerant has gone....It's left
through something which should be impervious to gas leakage, but has
gone bad.

So, you have to find and fix the leak first, 'eh?

Get a pro in, and if he says he has to do is recharge it, then ask him
where the refrigerant went and make him find and fix the leak before you
say, "Yes."

Just my .02,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dear Andrew,
I've been having stomach pains. I've got a stomach which is
big enough for me. But it isn't working very well. Someone told
me I may have a "hot appendix". I don't feel like going to a
doctor, so please write me directions for cooling my own
appendix.

More to the point. You don't have a real diagnosis, you've
got a SWAG. If you really feel like you want to proceed with your
SWAG, write me back (on this list) and I'll walk you through an
evacuation and recharge procedure for a typical home central AC
system.

But, I'd suggest you call a local service company and tell
them your AC isn't cooling very well. Let the tech figure out the
problem. Yeah, a lot of guys don't know much, but you may get a
good tech.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Andrew" wrote in message
[...]
:
: thanks,
: Andy
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Dear Andrew,
I've been having stomach pains. I've got a stomach which is
big enough for me. But it isn't working very well. Someone told
me I may have a "hot appendix". I don't feel like going to a
doctor, so please write me directions for cooling my own
appendix.

More to the point. You don't have a real diagnosis, you've
got a SWAG. If you really feel like you want to proceed with your
SWAG, write me back (on this list) and I'll walk you through an
evacuation and recharge procedure for a typical home central AC
system.

But, I'd suggest you call a local service company and tell
them your AC isn't cooling very well. Let the tech figure out the
problem. Yeah, a lot of guys don't know much, but you may get a
good tech.

Speaking about yourself again... he sure as hell don't want you at his
home!!!!