Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fishing wires

I want to run a wire to my window for an alarm switch.
The window sits in a metal frame set in a block exterior wall.
Do you know if the block wall has the dryall attached to furring strips on
interior.
How do i go about fishing a wire to the basement below ?
Should i drill a hole in the frame & send the wire thru the hollow block to
the basement & how do i locate it in the basement ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 2, 1:52?pm, "desgnr" wrote:
I want to run a wire to my window for an alarm switch.
The window sits in a metal frame set in a block exterior wall.
Do you know if the block wall has the dryall attached to furring strips on
interior.
How do i go about fishing a wire to the basement below ?
Should i drill a hole in the frame & send the wire thru the hollow block to
the basement & how do i locate it in the basement ?

ahh this can be FUN, like pulling yopur own teeth, taking out your own
appendix and other DIY procedures.

so how fancy must this be?

can use wireless switches, run wires in wiremold, go up, in cieling
and out near a wall.

if you try going thru block there are likely obstructions. I have run
romex thru block walls, found it easiest to punch some holes in the
block where the obstructions are.

please tell us more about your situation.wierdly i enjoy this kinda
challenge

Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in message
I want to run a wire to my window for an alarm switch.
The window sits in a metal frame set in a block exterior wall.
Do you know if the block wall has the dryall attached to furring strips on
interior.
How do i go about fishing a wire to the basement below ?
Should i drill a hole in the frame & send the wire thru the hollow block

the basement & how do i locate it in the basement ?

The interior drywall could be on furring strips, 2" x 4" wood or metal
studs, or it could be right up against the block. If there is an electrical
outlet on the same wall remove the wall plate on it. Use a long thin
screwdriver and push it in along the outside of the electrical box and see
how far it goes back. That will give you an idea as to the depth of the
wall.

If you have some depth you could try locating a spot in the basement that is
under the wall and try drilling up into the wall cavity. Another way is to
cut a rectangular hole in the wall near the floor (Approximately 6" wide x
12" high). Cut the drywall at 45 degree angles so you can use the removed
piece to patch the wall again. Drill down into the basement through the
hole in the wall. Then you can drill into the window frame and pull a wire
all the way up or down.

Fishing wire through a block wall is not always easy. Sometimes the walls
are filled with rebar and concrete making it impossible. At the very least
there will be pieces of concrete in the cavities and the holes in the block
do not line up perfectly. You would need to make big holes in the block at
each end to get a fish tape through.

If the drywall is up against the block your only option is to make a channel
in the wall and embed the wire in it and patch over it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

How can drywall be attached to block without fir strips ?
As for the suggestion about under the block wall,it sits on the concrete
foundation.
So i cant get under it.
"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"desgnr" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

desgnr wrote:

....top posting repaired...

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

Fishing wire through a block wall is not always easy. Sometimes the walls
are filled with rebar and concrete making it impossible. At the very
least
there will be pieces of concrete in the cavities and the holes in the
block
do not line up perfectly. You would need to make big holes in the block
at
each end to get a fish tape through.

If the drywall is up against the block your only option is to make a
channel
in the wall and embed the wire in it and patch over it.

How can drywall be attached to block without fir strips ?

Pine, maybe? ("Fir" is a tree, "furring" strips are what you mean
here.)

Multitude of ways -- most likely combination (particularly if this was a
homeowner diy job) of construction adhesive and maybe a few fasteners
here and there.

As for the suggestion about under the block wall,it sits on the

concrete foundation.
So i cant get under it.

Sounds as though it's either surface, inlaid into the drywall itself
(not code unless protected somehow other than a layer of mud) or make
the holes and see what you find -- hopefully the block wall is hollow.

If not, then you could always saw a channel in the block.

All depends on how badly you want this run. I'd probably have to want
it pretty badly to do anything more than the surface run from the sounds
of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Meat Plow wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 11:01:47 -0500, dpb wrote:

desgnr wrote:

How can drywall be attached to block without fir strips ?

Pine, maybe? ("Fir" is a tree, "furring" strips are what you mean
here.)

Lol "firring strips" and I thought people used fishing "string" instead of
wire on their reel.

I don't fish but I thought it was "line"...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Meat Plow wrote:

desgnr wrote:

How can drywall be attached to block without fir strips ?

Pine, maybe? ("Fir" is a tree, "furring" strips are what you mean
here.)
Lol "firring strips" and I thought people used fishing "string" instead of
wire on their reel.

I don't fish but I thought it was "line"...

Us hillbillies call it string

That like "tote" for "sack"...