Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Suggestion on shrinking a small rubber belt?

My vacuum cleaner has an attachment that has a small beater brush. The
brush is driven by the airflow from the vacuum itself, turning a wheel
that pulls a small rubber drive belt, that turns the beater brush.

The brush hasn't been turning lately, even after I disassembled the
attachment and cleaned and lubed the friction points.

When I started analyzing things, it turns out that the belt has
stretched out to the point of uselessness.

I'm sure that Sears would sell me a new attachment for $50. I'm sure
that with a lot of homework, I could find a replacement belt, but I'm
not really in the mood to do that homework.

So my quick and dirty cut at making this work is built around the hope
that I can somehow shrink the belt. It's maybe six inches in
circumference and fairly thin. Is there something I can soak it in, or
heat it or cool it to reduce the size? I'm thinking that a quarter to
half-inch reduction in circumference will more than adequately do the
trick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader-of-some-jacks" wrote

My vacuum cleaner has an attachment that has a small beater brush. The
brush is driven by the airflow from the vacuum itself, turning a wheel
that pulls a small rubber drive belt, that turns the beater brush.

Is it a Hoover? That little beater brush is freaky, can't believe it
spins so fast. I use it to vacuum my cat.

When I started analyzing things, it turns out that the belt has
stretched out to the point of uselessness.

I'm sure that Sears would sell me a new attachment for $50. I'm sure
that with a lot of homework, I could find a replacement belt, but I'm
not really in the mood to do that homework.

If it's a Hoover, it says the belt is part no. 38528037, $4.99 from
their website.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Jun 30, 10:20 am, trader-of-some-jacks
wrote:
[...]

Can you replace it with a big rubber band?

I doubt if you can shrink the belt, but could you build up epoxy or
something on the wheels and make them bigger?

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader-of-some-jacks wrote:
[...]

You really should buy a new belt, they're cheep enough, but.....

Back in the 60s I supplemented my "real job" incvome by servicing reel
to reel tape recorders at night.

Those monsters had rubber drive belts in them and I found I could
"shrink" them by judiciously waving them through the flame of a
Bernz-O-Matic torch or a gas stove burner, heating them to just below
their "ignition temperature", and rotating the belt through the flame so
all parts got "the treatment".

I know it sounds ludicrous, but what have you got to lose the belt isn't
earning its keep the way it is now. Plus I'd get a reel boot out of
hearing you tell us that tried my approach and it worked.

Good Luck,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 15:14:49 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Back in the 60s I supplemented my "real job" incvome by servicing reel
to reel tape recorders at night.

You remember the 60s AND worked ? ;-)
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks. I needed the laugh.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

: wrote:
:
: Back in the 60s I supplemented my "real job" incvome by
servicing reel
: to reel tape recorders at night.
:
: You remember the 60s AND worked ? ;-)
: --
: Oren
:
: "I don't have anything against work. I just figure, why deprive
somebody who really loves it."

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So my quick and dirty cut at making this work is built around the hope
that I can somehow shrink the belt.

Try cold water. Works well on my scrotum.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You can cut it with a sharp razor blade, shorten it as needed, then
glue it back together with crazy glue.

Sounds crazy, but in an earlier life, I repaired recorders, slide
projectors, ect, and this was done when we didn't have the right size
o-ring belt.

it works!

Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

Oren wrote:

You remember the 60s AND worked ? ;-)

If you remembered the 60s, you weren't there.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SJF SJF is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
You can cut it with a sharp razor blade, shorten it as needed, then
glue it back together with crazy glue.

Sounds crazy, but in an earlier life, I repaired recorders, slide
projectors, ect, and this was done when we didn't have the right size
o-ring belt.

it works!

As I recall, there were kits sold to fabricate recorder belts from bulk belt
material by cutting a piece and splicing with a type of Crazy Glue. I have
successfully shortened salvaged recorder belts and spliced with Crazy Glue
using this method to provide replacement belts. The cut should be made
diagonally with a razor blade to get the largest bonding area possible . It
does help to have spare material for practice. And this is applicable only
to small belting without a fabric core.

Everything considered, I would buy a replacement belt unless you are just
fascinated with the process.

SJF

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to all who responded to my original post.

I did some simple digging, and yes, Sears.com has replacement parts -
but only down to the level of the "thingamajig" (actually, it's called a
"Handimate Jr.") that has the too-big belt.

The good news is that the Handimate Jr. costs only something like $25,
which is half what I figured it would cost. But I still think that
finding a 49¢ belt for it shouldn't be that much of an effort.

Any suggestions on an independent parts supplier where I might be able
to find the belt? Again, this is a belt, maybe six inches in
circumference, rubber, with teeth on the inside to drive the little
plastic gear.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader-of-some-jacks" wrote in message
Any suggestions on an independent parts supplier where I might be able
to find the belt? Again, this is a belt, maybe six inches in
circumference, rubber, with teeth on the inside to drive the little
plastic gear.

Try a good independent appliance or vacuum cleaner repair shop, or even one
as Sears if you can find one. I can't imagine not selling a belt for
repairs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm sure that Sears would sell me a new attachment for $50. I'm sure
that with a lot of homework, I could find a replacement belt, but I'm
not really in the mood to do that homework.

Its a simple 'O' ring you can buy from an industrial valves shop. Try
your luck at an automotives parts shop too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm sure that Sears would sell me a new attachment for $50. I'm sure
that with a lot of homework, I could find a replacement belt, but I'm
not really in the mood to do that homework.

Its a simple 'O' ring you can buy from an industrial valves shop. Try
your luck at an automotives parts shop too.

OP mentioned "teeth" in one of his later posts, but I'm not clear as to
whether it drives a toothed gear (seems unlikely if it's slipping) or
whether he's talking about what I'd call notches, like an automotive fan
belt.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Smitty Two wrote:

wrote:

I'm sure that Sears would sell me a new attachment for $50. I'm sure
that with a lot of homework, I could find a replacement belt, but I'm
not really in the mood to do that homework.

Its a simple 'O' ring you can buy from an industrial valves shop. Try
your luck at an automotives parts shop too.

OP mentioned "teeth" in one of his later posts, but I'm not clear as to
whether it drives a toothed gear (seems unlikely if it's slipping) or
whether he's talking about what I'd call notches, like an automotive fan
belt.

Either way, it's obviously not just an o-ring and the independent vacuum
repair shops, etc., are probably the way to go if Sears doesn't/can't
supply...

I'd guess for the application the cut-and-glue trick won't have enough
strength but if it doesn't work now, the worst that happens is it
doesn't work then, either (for long, anyway)...