Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sleeve type AC unit -- can this be used in a window.

Hi,

I am moving to a new apartment and am planning on taking my sleeve
type AC unit with me. However, there is no wall pass through in my new
place.

Is it possible to use a Sleeve type AC (11000 BTU) in a window? Is
there any special equipment required, or a website with instructions?
I'm a bit clueless here.

Thanks

Meighan

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, you can. And not really a big deal, as long as it is properly
secured/sealed. Easiest to put it in so that it "balances" on the ledge,
shim as necessary.
You can, however, install it so that just the ass barely sticks out (ie,
most of the A/C is in the room--noisier for you), or so that most of it is
out the window. With most out the window, you'll probably need outside L
brackets, or some kind of bracing.

More difficult to put a window unit in a sleeve!
The side vents of the window unit must protrude out beyond the back of the
sleeve, and you need a cardboard partition on the inside to separate the
intake from the cold air. I helped a friend do this, works fine.

If the unit is a few years old, I'm told they have miserable EERs--like 8.0,
vs. the new minimum 13s or so. Could be a big diff. in a very hot season,
even vs. 10.0.
Also make sure of the voltages. Many sleeve units are 220, and if so, make
sure you have 220 at the window.
I put a sleeve unit in a window, and had to kluge two different hot wires
from two diff. outlets to get the 220 req'd.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I am moving to a new apartment and am planning on taking my sleeve
type AC unit with me. However, there is no wall pass through in my new
place.

Is it possible to use a Sleeve type AC (11000 BTU) in a window? Is
there any special equipment required, or a website with instructions?
I'm a bit clueless here.

Thanks

Meighan

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 20:42:47 -0700, wrote:

Hi,

I am moving to a new apartment and am planning on taking my sleeve
type AC unit with me. However, there is no wall pass through in my new
place.

Is it possible to use a Sleeve type AC (11000 BTU) in a window? Is

Probably, but it means you can't use the window. IMO, it's easiest if
you have outside window sills that are least partly wood. When I did
this, with a small AC, I was able to make make a shelf, with a second
part that rested on the cement part of the sill, and a board that
started just outside the window line, and was nailed to the wooden
part of the window sill. By putting in the nails at at least 2
different angles, it's very hard for the lifting effect on the board,
if any, to pry the board away from the sill. By leaving the nails
sticking out a bit, it's easy to remove the shelf when you move out,
and fill the nail holes. (Although in my case I just left the shelf
there because it was so useful, and I knew the next tenants were
likely to like it. But my situation was unusual. Most ll's want
these things out, I think.)

I did all this so that if I lost hold of the AC, or if I pushed it out
to far, it would not fall out and land on someone. It didn't require
that the window be down to stay in place. My AC was much smaller than
yours probably is.

I used another similar shelf to put first a planter and then a
charcoal grill just outside my kitchen window. I used the grill
dozens of times, but on one occasion, I closed the window when the
charcoal lighter was still flaming and I broke the window from the
heat. I'm sure this one was a violation of the lease, but the
landlord often didn't give heat, so I was annoyed.

Try not to use the accordian plastic things that they oft include to
make things easy. Air leakage is inevitable. Cut some wood to
measure, plywood or masonite, and caulk around it with something that
can be ripped off later.

there any special equipment required, or a website with instructions?
I'm a bit clueless here.

Thanks

Meighan

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sleeve A/C are inherently less efficient than Window A/C because they vent
only from the rear as opposed to top bottom sides and rear. You would
probably be better off just buying a new one than moving the old one.
Perhaps you could sell the old one to the incoming resident of your current
apartment.
--
Peace,
BobJ

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 11:42 pm, wrote:
Hi,

I am moving to a new apartment and am planning on taking my sleeve
type AC unit with me. However, there is no wall pass through in my new
place.

Is it possible to use a Sleeve type AC (11000 BTU) in a window? Is
there any special equipment required, or a website with instructions?
I'm a bit clueless here.

Thanks

Meighan

The thru-the-wall units that I came across tended to be noisier than
the window units, and were not as energy efficient. Considering the
trouble of mounting it to the window and the possibility of it being
noisy and costly to operate, I would just get a new window A/C, and
eBay the old thru-the-wall unit. The thru-the-wall unit tends to be
more expensive and may actually bring you a bit of cash if you sell
it.

Jay Chan

Posted to alt.home.repair

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

[...]

They do not have a 13-SEER minimum on window or room units they use EER
ratings; that 13-SEER minimum rating is for central units.
I don't know what the minimum EER is on Room ACs but still see 9.7-EERs'
and see none as high as 13-EER.
If someone knows, post the minimum EER, and the highest Room AC EER you
have seen.
I like the performance of my 9.7-EER Room AC, it should be better
handling the latent heatload than 12-EER. - udarrell

http://www.udarrell.com/

http://www.udarrell.com/my_pages2.htm

http://www.udarrell.com/principled_a...ju stice.html
(Needs Editing ASAP)

http://www.udarrell.com/recognizing_real_enemies.html

http://jesuschristsavior.net/Beatitudes.html

http://www.antiwar.com/ ***

Reality Is Not An Easy Thing To Be Confronted With, or to Accept!