Posted to alt.home.repair
Proctologically Violated©® Proctologically Violated©® is offline

Default Sleeve type AC unit -- can this be used in a window.

Yes, you can. And not really a big deal, as long as it is properly
secured/sealed. Easiest to put it in so that it "balances" on the ledge,
shim as necessary.
You can, however, install it so that just the ass barely sticks out (ie,
most of the A/C is in the room--noisier for you), or so that most of it is
out the window. With most out the window, you'll probably need outside L
brackets, or some kind of bracing.

More difficult to put a window unit in a sleeve!
The side vents of the window unit must protrude out beyond the back of the
sleeve, and you need a cardboard partition on the inside to separate the
intake from the cold air. I helped a friend do this, works fine.

If the unit is a few years old, I'm told they have miserable EERs--like 8.0,
vs. the new minimum 13s or so. Could be a big diff. in a very hot season,
even vs. 10.0.
Also make sure of the voltages. Many sleeve units are 220, and if so, make
sure you have 220 at the window.
I put a sleeve unit in a window, and had to kluge two different hot wires
from two diff. outlets to get the 220 req'd.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I am moving to a new apartment and am planning on taking my sleeve
type AC unit with me. However, there is no wall pass through in my new
place.

Is it possible to use a Sleeve type AC (11000 BTU) in a window? Is
there any special equipment required, or a website with instructions?
I'm a bit clueless here.

Thanks

Meighan